Project "Daily Driver" almost done

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that explains it.
View attachment 163183
I dunno. Helidirect doesn't say anything about that kit being for the SCX24 transmission. Different sites have different pics for part #2242, which is supposed to be the kit for the Smasher, with nothing stated about an SCX24 trans.

Same part numbers, different pics. Who is right?

https://www.helidirect.com/products...for-fcx24-max-smasher-aluminium-white-version

https://www.amainhobbies.com/furitek-rampart-frame-kit-fcx24-white-ftk-fur-2242/p1464769
The numbers I got are from the Furitek site.
Looks like the Heli Direct site has the wrong picture.

The numbers I got are from the Furitek site.
Looks like the Heli Direct site has the wrong picture.
Well they have the same pic on Furitek's site. The only place that shows the trans mount like yours with the white kit is Amain/Hobbytown.

OK I found the confusion. The white has a different number. I thought they had the same number and it was just a matter of choosing color.
Here is the white number FUR-2242
https://furitek.com/collections/mon...for-fcx24-max-smasher-aluminium-white-version
1680982203668.png

OK I found the confusion. The white has a different number. I thought they had the same number and it was just a matter of choosing color.
Here is the white number FUR-2242
https://furitek.com/collections/mon...for-fcx24-max-smasher-aluminium-white-version
View attachment 163190
That is weird. So Furitek's USA site is messed up too...

What I found
https://www.furitekusa.com/products...for-fcx24-max-smasher-aluminium-white-version

Your link
https://furitek.com/collections/monster-truck-all/products/furitek-rampart-frame-kit-for-fcx24-max-smasher-aluminium-white-versi

Hmmm yea looks like it.
If it helps, from what I understand is that there is no kit for the FCX24 that comes with the SCX24 skid.
The SCX24 skid is an option to buy separately so if you order the white kit for the smasher you should be good to go...regardless of the picture.

I just noticed FMS has a metal gearset for the transmission, which comes with a metal shift fork. I kinda like the fact that these trucks have the two speed. It will make it nice for getting our trucks lined up for the race 😜

And the portal axles are kinda growing on me. I know they aren't true monster truck type axles, but monster trucks need to start using them the way I see it. They really look like they belong on these trucks.

I just noticed FMS has a metal gearset for the transmission, which comes with a metal shift fork. I kinda like the fact that these trucks have the two speed. It will make it nice for getting our trucks lined up for the race 😜

And the portal axles are kinda growing on me. I know they aren't true monster truck type axles, but monster trucks need to start using them the way I see it. They really look like they belong on these trucks.
Yea the portals grew on me pretty quickly. I just wish they had straight axles for a truck like mine that downgraded to a daily driver type truck.

Yea I wish treal had a complete transmission set with the shift fork.
I almost got the furitek gear set because of the extra metal parts but knew I was going to get rid of the low gear.
For my monster truck build I'm probably going to keep the two speed.

*edit* I almost got the FMS set

Last edited:
Yea the portals grew on me pretty quickly. I just wish they had straight axles for a truck like mine that downgraded to a daily driver type truck.

Yea I wish treal had a complete transmission set with the shift fork.
I almost got the furitek gear set because of the extra metal parts but knew I was going to get rid of the low gear.
For my monster truck build I'm probably going to keep the two speed.

*edit* I almost got the FMS set
Yeah, I was thinking since my ultimate goal is to build two of these, so Breydon and I can do some Monster Jam style racing, having the 2 speed will be nice for getting the trucks lined up to start.

I am still debating on links and steering links. The stock stuff actually looks pretty scale, but like you, I kinda like the Furitek ones with the shock mounting locations on the lower links. I was considering trying the Nexx Racing stuff. I have never used any of their parts, but their axle housings look really nice. Just really expensive! But I think I might just leave the drivetrain alone until I get the 2nd truck caught up to the one I am building.

Have you guys (@Hammer Down, @N. Mango) done anything with your shocks yet? The springs on these trucks are just a tad too stiff for my tastes.
Wow it'll take the smallest of trimming of the hinges and they should work perfectly! Thanks for the tip!
View attachment 163246
Dude, you could mount a mini servo in there and use channel 3 to open and close it since you went to a single speed ;)

Last edited:
Have you guys (@Hammer Down, @N. Mango) done anything with your shocks yet? The springs on these trucks are just a tad too stiff for my tastes.

Dude, you could mount a mini servo in there and use channel 3 to open and close it since you went to a single speed ;)
Foof! As cool as it would be, thats more than I want to take on right now.

Did a mock-up of the sponsor panel which extends under the fenders.
Added a few stickers to make sure that I'll like it before I do the real deal.
I like it. Will also be outlined with probably silver and of course it needs a few minor tweaks to the design.

Wadayathink?

20230410_001714.jpg
20230410_001735.jpg

Problem #1 so far. It's ugly AF without the body on. I could just do the panel and not bother with under the fenders....🤔🤷‍♂️

20230410_004209.jpg

Last edited:
Did a mock-up of the sponsor panel which extends under the fenders.
Added a few stickers to make sure that I'll like it before I do the real deal.
I like it. Will also be outlined with probably silver and of course it needs a few minor tweaks to the design.

Wadayathink?

View attachment 163269View attachment 163270

Problem #1 so far. It's ugly AF without the body on. I could just do the panel and not bother with under the fenders....🤔🤷‍♂️

View attachment 163271
I freakin love it! I was just thinking about 3d printing some panels to pop on the chassis for the same thing. If you made the black one in two pieces and just put it in the fender openings I think that will solve your problem. Great job man. It's going to look awesome!

Where did you get that Powered by Ford decal?

I freakin love it! I was just thinking about 3d printing some panels to pop on the chassis for the same thing. If you made the black one in two pieces and just put it in the fender openings I think that will solve your problem. Great job man. It's going to look awesome!

Where did you get that Powered by Ford decal?
That's a good idea. I'll give that a try.
The decal came with a JConcepts Dozer body from a smt10 build.

That's a good idea. I'll give that a try.
The decal came with a JConcepts Dozer body from a smt10 build.
I can't wait til my chassis gets here. I am going to steal your idea for the sponsor panels and 3d print some to put on ours. Heck, I'll probably 3d model the entire chassis. These trucks are just way cool man.

Last edited:
Universal idea. I'm definitely not the 1st to think of doing it.
Looking forward to seeing what you do to yours!:thumbs-up:
True, it's done on the real Monster Jam trucks. But I didn't think about it til you mentioned sponsor panels 😉

And I definitely didn't think about doing a clear one. That is just cool af bro. I may just do that as well, but I am going to see how some 3d printed ones work first.

I just need to see if I have some M1.6 flathead screws to attach them, or design some standoffs on the back to pop into the screw holes, which probably won't hold up.

True, it's done on the real Monster Jam trucks. But I didn't think about it til you mentioned sponsor panels 😉

And I definitely didn't think about doing a clear one. That is just cool af bro. I may just do that as well, but I am going to see how some 3d printed ones work first.

I just need to see if I have some M1.6 flathead screws to attach them, or design some standoffs on the back to pop into the screw holes, which probably won't hold up.
I really need to get me a 3d printer. I'm sure my wife would be full of joy if I bring it up to her.🤣🤣🤣

I really need to get me a 3d printer. I'm sure my wife would be full of joy if I bring it up to her.🤣🤣🤣
Just tell her all the cool things you could print for her on it. Just browse Thingiverse for ideas to sway her. Cookie cutters, scrapbook stuff, household items, you name it. You can make just about anything with a 3d printer.

This housing and servo mount is 3d printed.
20221012_111021.jpg

This entire trailer besides the wheels and tires was 3d printed. It is 24th scale too btw.
20220523_125218.jpg

24th scale tire rack.
20220402_022842.jpg

SCX24 stand.
20211105_180914.jpg

20211105_180855.jpg

Last edited:
Just tell her all the cool things you could print for her on it. Just browse Thingiverse for ideas to sway her. Cookie cutters, scrapbook stuff, household items, you name it. You can make just about anything with a 3d printer.

This housing and servo mount is 3d printed.
View attachment 163283

This entire trailer besides the wheels and tires was 3d printed. It is 24th scale too btw.
View attachment 163286

24th scale tire rack.
View attachment 163287

SCX24 stand.
View attachment 163284
View attachment 163285
Wow those are badass!