Nitro Car won't start at all!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Anderson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, i purchased a brand new ofna hyper 7 and is very frustrated by trying to start it up multiple times every day for about a week now. I've browsed the web and tried everything possible. It hasn't start up once yet, and don't wana give up, someone please help me!! :(

Since it is brand new, there is a break in process at the top of this section. Some things to do are to pre-heat the engine to help loosen it up and make it easier to turn over. You can also loosen up the glow plug 1/4 turn until it starts. Last check to make suer that the glow ingniter has a good charge.

Now the fuel won't even reach the carb :(

Have you checked your needle settings? They should be set to your manufacturer's recommendations for break in, on the rich side.

Everything is set manufactured, still a no go

How are you priming it? Finger over the exhaust pipe? Check your glow plug snd the igniter. Was fuel going through the line before? Flooded maybe. Open the carb a little more with servo trim on the controller but make sure it can't get away from you when you pop it. So many things but don't give up.
Here's how I do it:

You're seeing air in the line and the fuel is not moving toward the carb?
If that's the case, press down the fuel cap to make sure it's a tight seal. Then take the fuel line off the exhaust and blow gently into it. If there is still no fuel moving then you have a total clog in the carb needle and you'll need to clean it out and reset it. If the glow plug is TOO loose, you won't have enough compression to move the fuel since it's pressure in the muffler, created by compression, that pumps fuel to the carb.
Keep us posted.

As a lot of other people have said, you need to get fuel into the engine first before you can start it.

I got it started but it completely hit full throttle very time, kicks off. I took apart the carb and saw the idle was completely open, not sure how or why when i adjusted it all to a 1mm gap and did all other adjustments as said

I got it started but it completely hit full throttle very time, kicks off. I took apart the carb and saw the idle was completely open, not sure how or why when i adjusted it all to a 1mm gap and did all other adjustments as said
Whilst you can see the slide, with the engine off, go full throttle and see whether the slide is totally disappearing.

The carb is completely apart as of right now, how exactly should i set everything ?

I haven't broken it in yet, if that helps. So its an unused engine, I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but not sure how the idle gap would just open fully on me when i started it up. It took off full speed, luckily my leg was there, which hurt lol

Last edited:
luckily my leg was there, which hurt lol
Better to hurt your leg than the RC. :D
I agree with ninnon. You need to take off the air cleaner so you can see inside the carb neck and just keep pulling full throttle and full brake, watching the slide to see if it sticks. It could be a bit of grit in there or it could be something hanging up in the linkage. If you do it enough you'll probably be able to spot what it's doing wrong and correct it.
Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you start the engine until you know the problem has been corrected. An engine going full throttle that has not been broken in will end up broken, instead.

So i ended up getting it started and fixing the throttle issue. But it seem that the engine itself is giving off smoke.. and ideas why?

Do you have temp gauge? What are the temps? If over 230º F, you need to richen the low-speed needle a bit (think of the needle as a clock and turn it one hour ahead).

Do you have the little copper washer on the glow plug that seals the plug and head?

From what it seems where the glow plug is.. And running for nearly 5seconds gets it really hot
Have you forgot the little copper washer? The engine might just be smoking from there if there's any residue left from cleaning fluids. The engine will get hot- it should be in the range of 220-230f. Have you got a temp gun? Also, there was no real need to take the carb apart- you only needed to take the air filter off. :)

If over 230º F, you need to richen the low-speed needle a bit (think of the needle as a clock and turn it one hour ahead).
Whoops! Scratch that. If it runs hot at idle you DO need to richen the LSN, but you do that by turning it COUNTER clockwise.
It's like a water faucet. Clockwise to close or lean it, counter clockwise to open or richen it.