New car on the bench!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I got a smokin deal on an Associated DR-10 the other day on A Main. It got delivered today.

First impressions: it looks great. Love it. I’m glad I got a good deal on it though. The ESC looks pretty weak. Looks like maybe 14 ga leads for the motor and the battery. The leads that are soldered to the motor are visibly larger. I cut the T plug off and soldered on an IC5 to work with my batteries. Gonna run it like it is for a bit. I will not be surprised if I pop that little ESC. Everything else seem pretty quality. I put it up on my setup stand and everything looked pretty good. Mad a tiny toe adjustment and that was all it really needed.

First mods will probably be stiffening up the diff a bunch and some shock tuning once I get to make a few passes and see how it handles. Most likely step up the pinion a few teeth too. If I do pop the ESC I’ll probably replace it with a castle. I’ve been really happy with the one I put in my Slash/Porsche.

Mini-Z Rubicon for scale 😂

IMG_2086.jpeg

With the stock electronics, I'm using a 26T pinion and 78T spur, along with metal diff gears and the Factory Team lockout clutch. It runs well for me on 3S, but I'm not a competitor, just a street basher. This setup was faster for me than the stock gearing.

Have fun!

With the stock electronics, I'm using a 26T pinion and 78T spur, along with metal diff gears and the Factory Team lockout clutch. It runs well for me on 3S, but I'm not a competitor, just a street basher. This setup was faster for me than the stock gearing.

Have fun!
I finally got to do a few launches with it today. Man, I have some setup work to do. It’s 100% box stock right now. Pulls so hard to the left every single time. Like if I don’t back out it’ll be on its roof.

My thoughts are to go much stiffer in the diff. Maybe even a spool. Shocks are super soft. Not sure what’s in there but I’m gonna jump straight to 70w and see what happens. I did install the associated rear swaybar. Forgot to mention that earlier. I’ve got a metal gear set on the way and I have a few pinions around I’ll see what I can scrounge up.

I think once it’s dialed a little more it’s gonna be a hoot.

Question for anyone… Are all the drag slicks as soft as these stock ones? There’s like zero rigidity in the sidewalls. I know they’re supposed to have a lot of give but marshmallows are stiffer than these. It’s almost as if there’s no foams in them.

My Drag Slash slicks are pretty firm.
I have a set of Hoons here and some adapters. I think I may throw them on just to rule out the tires being the source of instability. Not changing anything else for now. If it still does weird stuff then I’ll dive into the suspension.

Update…. Took the DR10 out today to run a few packs through it and try to get a better feel for it. I was able to get a few clean passes after the tires got good and scrubbed in but it’s still a handful trying to keep it in line. It’s still box stock except for I swapped in a Spektrum receiver because the radio that came with it was so laggy it was nearly impossible to drive and upped it to a 22 tooth pinion. With the DX5c I felt much more in control. Still wants to hook left really bad on launch. Here’s a short launch video. Body off so you can see the wheels and suspension. It was filmed in slowmo but YouTube seems to have omitted that. Anyway it looks to me like it’s diffing out on the left wheel. Maybe one of you guys can help identify the issue.

Here is the best pass I got on 2s. 22 tooth pinion. I definitely have room for more gear, looks to me like it maxed out about halfway through the run.
IMG_2119.png

Have you tried adjusting the rear shocks? You can add or remove preload in the rear independently to try and help it launch straighter. Traxxas has a basic guide for 'Prevent “Pulling” with Preload' that might help you.
I haven’t really tried anything yet other than changing the receiver and pinion. Thanks for the link! I had heard of doing that to combat pull but I couldn’t remember where I heard it and which shock for a left pull vs which shock for a right pull. I’m off tomorrow so I’ll mess with it then. Thanks again!

Back