Making all of my connectors the same

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Trying to make all my ESCs and batteries have the same connectors and plugs so I don't have to carry a bag of different charge leads, and adapters and all.

In my bashers, I am running TRX plugs on the batteries, and for the esc, I use XT90 to Traxxas and XT60 to Traxxas.

Moving away from these adapters as the last few times I had raced / bashed, the adapters got kinda hot. I'm also moving away because I'm wanting to make my connectors all the same like said above.

For my 1/10 Bashers (Slash 2wd, Rustler 2wd) I am thinking XT60 on both the batteries and ESC. My charger has XT60 as an input so no need to make a charge lead / adapter. The battery wire is 12 gauge. The Max10 SCT wire is 12 gauge (in the slash) which right now has a XT90 from the factory. The Max10 wire is 14 gauge with a XT60 from the factory (in the rustler)

Now for my Mini B, the batteries and esc I use now all of deans on it. My backup esc/motor and batteries have EC2 on them. Should I convert to all deans? Or convert to all EC2? Or convert to a whole new plug, XT30? If I do convert to XT30, I would need a new charge lead(s).

Now my race buggy (B74.1) is out on this one as I use direct 5mm bullets for that.

Just seeing which plug is best. For racing and bashing, and to handle power.

Edit: I do have 2 spare Traxxas female plugs that haven't been soldered yet. Maybe I should just add them to my basher esc's so its not a big hassle to do? Wonder what the power rating is for traxxas plugs? Are they better or worse than lets say anything deans or XT?

Edit: I don't solder myself. I am going to see if my uncle can do it (most likely not), maybe the local racers or the local family owned shop. (The local hobby shop will cost money to do, the local racers should be able to do it for free, maybe, not sure. Maybe I should take this as a advantage and learn how to solder) I stole my uncles solder station, which is a Weller 40W station, not the best, but gets the job done, does take a while for it to heat up. Also using Kester solder, not sure on the specs of it tho.

Edit: Had all of this idea popped in my mind as I was just looking at new 3s lipos for the bashers.

(Copied from my Reddit post)
(I know I read somewhere we were talking about connectors and such, but can't find the thread)

Locals say to get the anti spark ones. They seem pretty neat and will be a life saver if anything does wrong.

I also posted in the track chat that i am also getting new bullets for the buggy. Either the maclan ones, or 1up racing lowpro with the plug grips.
the plug grips seems like a nice addition to make it all looking fresh and clean, can prevent reverse polarity (if your paying attention to what your doing and not fry your esc) and also looks like it can keep the wire / solder joint in good condition.

What I had before, I think my uncle cut the wire too short, and the wire is pulling on the bullets which made the solder joint connection weaker. I put some heatshrink over it and it fixed it, later on i decided to have the locals re solder them up. They are working good now. But just wanting new bullets for a more easy life, and also reliability.

Now since the wire from the esc to the battery bullets are a little short, can I extend them by like maybe just a inch? I got some spare 12 gauge wire left. should be able to solder it up and put heatshrink over it?

I also use the XT90S (S=Anti Spark) for my 4s and bigger and XT60 for my 3s.
I also use these charge boards just in case I need something different.
They have XT-30,60,90 JST and T
PXL_20230408_211529763.jpg
You can find them on Amazon here.
If you prefer AliExpress here.

I'm a (connector) slut... I like them all. :happy:

I have TRX, EC3, EC5 and Deans T connectors. I don't have any issues with these various bits, so I haven't thought about making them all the same.

After seeing this thread and thinking about it... I'd have to be really, really, really bored to make them all the same, and would have to spend all my singing lesson money on new connectors (instead of on candy like I did when I was a kid).