Ec5 connectors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldo556

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Today there was a small fight with the EC5 connectors. Before there were deans and you could leave them, I got the ec5 connectors. The soldering itself went well, but putting the connectors inside the plastic shell didn't quite go smoothly. The connector that attaches to the car (male), so apparently you should push the connectors into it from the back, and the battery connector from the front. They didn't go into the car's connector from the back in any way, even though I used a lot of force. In the hitting turn, you could get into position by hitting from the edges, but you had to hit so hard that the lead took over. So, were these connectors just crap, or should I have put them in the front after all, or did I do something wrong?

I've never used ec5.I use xt from 60 to 120..no parts o slide in. always get a good connection.Id say go with another style connector

its called practice with the right wattage iron and solder.of course I've been soldering since 1976.
my favorite iron is a heath kit 180. 180 watts 90 watts 45 watts selections with chisel tip. and a good solder i use flux core
https://www.cardas.com/supplies
clean place you are soldering(use of diamond files is a handy tool)
tin things to be soldered
have extra flux on hand
I always use a clean solder iron.not afraid to cold shock my irons.damp sponges work best for me the ones with scotch brite on 1 side

practice with connectors and wire a helpi.ng hand or 3rd hand helps

Last edited:
I found that trying to hit or pound the male EC5 connectors into the housing will always cause issues.
I bought an EC5 assembly punch, which fits nicely into the ram of my arbor press. This allows you to exert the right amount of pressure to seat the connector without pushing it too far in or off to the side.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

I'm with TNT. XT's are easy to solder and don't require tools to assemble.

I had to install a few of my buddies ec5's and I remember cursing a lot.

Today there was a small fight with the EC5 connectors. Before there were deans and you could leave them, I got the ec5 connectors. The soldering itself went well, but putting the connectors inside the plastic shell didn't quite go smoothly. The connector that attaches to the car (male), so apparently you should push the connectors into it from the back, and the battery connector from the front. They didn't go into the car's connector from the back in any way, even though I used a lot of force. In the hitting turn, you could get into position by hitting from the edges, but you had to hit so hard that the lead took over. So, were these connectors just crap, or should I have put them in the front after all, or did I do something wrong?
Try a heat gun next time on the plastic connector prior to tapping it into the plastic of the connector. It will make it malleable and expand a bit to make the job easier.