My old Tai Ji 40 Pattern Plane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Here's my old Wolrd Model Tai Ji 40 pattern plane. Since the (competition) routines have changed since this plane was in production, I think it's actually considered outdated even though it's only 6 years old. (Design philosophy has changed from a narrow, tall body fuselage with retracts to a tall, wide body fuselage with fixed gear configuration.)

The plane is powered by a YS63FZ, has retracts, and the radio I use is a 8 channel futuba computer radio. From 2001-2004 I did all my (NSRCA) pattern competitions with this plane. Took the District 8 championship in sportsman in both 2001 and 2003 before moving up to Intermediate.

Haven't flown it in probably 2 years now but I'll be getting back into it once school is out in 2 weeks. I'll probably fly the Tai Ji for most of the summer
until I get decent again then switch to the big 2 meter (wingspan) Typhoon 2+2 pattern plane my dad bought me in 2002 (I think). Hope to compete in the 2008 pattern season with my dad who will be flying his Equinox, which is an old school plane from the mid 80's.

Also, depending on how things go, come winter I may look into buying a 40-50 size pattern plane with a more modern design. I got my eye on the World Model Spot-On 50 which is only $140.

Kinda went off topic but whatever hehe. Anyhoo check out the pictures below :smart:

DSCN1426.gif

DSCN1425.gif

DSCN1424.gif

Hey pal,

you bird looks excellent. I also do pattern plying or i should say that i am trying to learn pattern flying. I was keen if you could help me with some pattern flying details.

Awaiting for your reply

Thanks

What do you need help with? I'm a bit rusty on my pattern flying though, haven't competed in a good three years now.

What do you need help with? I'm a bit rusty on my pattern flying though, haven't competed in a good three years now.

I want to know from where can i get some information on exact pattern flying. As i just dont know where to start off with. I mean i need some patterns from where i can start off with it.

Awaiting for your reply

http://www.nsrca.org/ NSRCA is the one that puts on the pattern competition. Looks like you're not in the United States but how it works here, is they split the country into nine different districts. Each district has it's own championship. The way you win the championship in your district would be to get the most points per contest for your district's event, and the points are based on the number of people you beat.

http://www.nsrca.org/scheduleA.htm That's the schedules for 2007. I can't find their description of the maneuvers though.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty...batics/aerobatics pages_files/v3_document.htm try that page for a starting schedule. It's got the descriptions of how to do most of the maneuvers.

edit: Looks like NSRCA sells a manual that comes with powerpoint slides and should describe everything you'd need to know. Aside from that, try to find the governing body for R/C planes in your country and find out if they have an organization from pattern. Then go from there and you could probably find someone who does pattern that can teach you more about it.

Last edited:
Back