Fun time at the pattern flying competition :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys, I had a killer weekend. It all started on Thursday. Finals had just ended, and there was a pattern flying competition at my local flying field this weekend. Because of school, I hadn't flown the intermediate routine in over 3 months, matter of fact, i hadn't flown a plane in over 3 months. So anyhoo, the plan was to fly on Thursday and Friday and immediately go into competition. But unfortunately it was too windy on Thursday so I had just Friday To fly. It was surprisingly easy for me to fly. I got mixed up on a few maneuvers, but I figured out the controls again.

So Saturday rolls around, there was at total of 14 competitors. 2 in sportsman, just me in intermediate, 4 in Advanced, and 8 in Masters. I was a little dissapointed I was competing against myself, but oh well. Anyhoo, I flew a total of 4 flights on Saturday. I didn't zero too many maneuvers, but I did manage to flip the plane on landing coming in too fast, which meant I got zeroed :(. So one of the big things was that the contest director was gonna make me judge masters, which is the first time i've ever judged. So the whole time during the first two rounds, I was watching the masters fly and trying to nit pick and do pretend judging, trying to prepare for my turn. So Saturday overall was a big day. I went home VERY tired and hungry. Got some Teryaki and enhaled it, still managing to stay hungry. I even went to bed at 7pm...lol

So Sunday rolls around now. We wake up, and it's raining cats and dogs. So we figure they'll just call the contest since they got the minimum of 4 rounds in. But luckily the sun came out, and it turned out to be a pretty nice day. For my first flight, I started out pretty good, I did my figure 8 and had the plane at the right distance, then I slowly got farther out. I must have been a good half mile out. I could hardly see the plane, so I decided to zero my stall turn with a full roll on the upline and just bring it back in. Other than that, I had a pretty good flight. Then I had to judge masters :(. I'll tell you what, judging is the worst thing about flying competition. There's so much responsibility and it's so hard to be unbiased and stay consistent on scoring. Luckily I did a pretty good job and scored close to what the other judge scored. So I was real happy about that. After judging for a good hour and a half, I had a big appetite built up, but I was up next. Luckily the contest director gave us time to eat...w00t!

So for my final flight, the winds picked up a lot. With my little plane, I was getting thrown all over the place. I was so nervous not wanting to crash. It was a horrible flight, I kept flying too slow and was having a hard time just getting through the routine. I think I zeroed 3 maneuvers...but my landing was the best of the day...go figure.

Anyhoo, yeah, so then the contest ended at around 3pm. I got a plaque saying 1st place in intermediate with $20 attached to that, which was the entry fee. I had a blast and sorry for the long post. If any of you fly airplanes and have a decent stunt plane, you should fly pattern....it's a blast

kwong i don't fly but your story sounds cool..iam still wanting the rf2 sim maybe ill pick it up this week.maybe we can hook up some weekend iam only a few hours away from you..do you fly helis..

Nope, don't fly helis, but I have one that's half built. If you make it up my way, i'll take you up on my trainer...let you try it out.

that whould be to cool..i think iam going up that way with in a couple of months to see my brother ill let you know...

Glad to see you are even more into the flying scene than before! I'm going to assume you flew the last one built that you posted.

Congrats!

Nope, didn't fly the Spad. That one is more of a sport plane, but it's design is influenced by pattern planes.

I flew my Tai Ji 40 with a YS 63FZ. It's a little plane. I'm gonna switch planes to my 2 meter Typhoon 2+2 with a YS 140. It'll be easier to fly since you can see it better since it's bigger and it doesn't get affected by wind as much.

Hey bro,

I am happy to hear this from you. I have a few stund / aeropatic planes ready in my garage, being impatient to fly but the only problem I have in pattern flying is that i dont have the sequence chart or the patterns book.

I have been trying to figure out but couldnt get good response over it

I hope you can help me with this.