Mugen Vs Kyosho VS XB8 Vs Mayhem Vs EB4 S3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CorradoPsi said:
1 swift pro, doesn't belong in that lineup.

2 what kinda track? can't pick a motor without knowing that.

3 no pro car should have to be taken apart and locktited and shimmed, thanks for the extra example.

4 no pro buggy comes with ceramic bearings. reason 1 is cost, reason 2 they give the same performance as steel bearings.

5 this sheep is jumping rope :sheep:

True the swift pro doesn't belong in the lineup but people do like them and I have experience with them so I threw it in.

2. I have 3 tracks to choose from: clay, loamy, and high bite in long, medium, and short versions (i.e. 60 sec, 30 sec, and 22 sec lap time)

3. All the cars I have ever owned are taken completely apart, shimmed, and etc so I have the piece of mind knowing that everything is in tip top shape.

4. I put ceramic bearings in because of the durability........

5. I wasn't even talking to you but whatever floats your boat err sheep

mike- i know I'm getting here a little late, but i will have to agree with you on the shock-shafts being weak on the x5's. my only other concern with the mugen is weight. i had to get my car tech'd and was within one once of being over the max limit. of course i use one of the 2400mah packs and i didnt empty my tank (almost half full because it just came off the track after a 5 min qualifier) but it still seems this is on the heavy side. right now I'm so close to selling all three of my mugens it isnt even funny. i almost got the xb8 this last time but figured i already had plenty of spares for the x5 so i went that route.
id really like to hear more on the xray (good and bad) if anyone has reliable info.

i got a good look at the ttr s3 last weekend and i am unimpressed. the whole thing just looks like it was slapped together in the design room. i know there was more put into it than that but the guys i talked with that were running them said that they were still looking for a decent set-up. oh yeah- chassis flex? non-existent. most guys are taking the two screws out where the center brace is supposed to be attatched to the front brace just so they will flex a bit.

Just curious how the hyper 7 pro stacks up against any of the buggies mentioned here.

RustlerDood said:
True the swift pro doesn't belong in the lineup but people do like them and I have experience with them so I threw it in.

2. I have 3 tracks to choose from: clay, loamy, and high bite in long, medium, and short versions (i.e. 60 sec, 30 sec, and 22 sec lap time)

3. All the cars I have ever owned are taken completely apart, shimmed, and etc so I have the piece of mind knowing that everything is in tip top shape.

4. I put ceramic bearings in because of the durability........

5. I wasn't even talking to you but whatever floats your boat err sheep

i have experience with the swift too, one is sitting as parts in a box on my RC shelf right now. which is why i know it doesn't belong.

if you already own those 2 engines i would go with the RB to take care of the long and medium tracks, it will be lacking on the short track though. if your talking purchasing an engine for it, try the Novarossi 421B. it doesn't have quite the bottom end that the P5 does but it certainly doesn't lack like the RB's do. it also has lungs for days and will scream on the long tracks.

thats your preference, the swift requires it as I'm sure some other cars do too (rtr's are notorious for this and lack of loctite). the XB8, Kyosho's, Mugens, etc. come with the proper shims when you buy it. one of the advantages of a kit, you know its right.

again preference, ceramics last 3 times as long at 8 times the price and perform the same.

i liked the sheep

JJH said:
Just curious how the hyper 7 pro stacks up against any of the buggies mentioned here.

its still a good car, but current cars are surpassing it regularly. look for a Hyper 8 sometime this year. Greg Degani just joined the Ofna team this year and as is typical for him, making it perform some incredible feats.

one thing i have come to know about the different buggys is geometry. they are all tough no doubt but some are designed with one purpose, to race, while others are not. it is the design of it all that makes those buggys more preferred. i had a HB pro 2, it was very durable, but i could not drive it fast at all. i did research and talked with many people and got a Mugen, most have the 777sp1. i could instantly tell the difference. simply, more people race the Kyosho, mugen so they have more feedback from the drivers as of what needs to be changed or improved. this i think is why they are preferred more along with the quality which is first rate

flash said:
i got a good look at the ttr s3 last weekend and i am unimpressed.

oh yeah- chassis flex? non-existent. most guys are taking the two screws out where the center brace is supposed to be attatched to the front brace just so they will flex a bit.

were you unimpressed with the buggy or the driving of the buggy? I know you said you thought it looked slapped together but I've heard the fit and finish was quite nice.

what would be the advantages of having a "little" chassis flex? From what I've read, I would be looking for those center braces to be made out of alloy rather than carbon.

some chassis flex helps negotiate very rough tracks. a more rigid chassis is good for smooth tracks.

CorradoPsi said:
some chassis flex helps negotiate very rough tracks. a more rigid chassis is good for smooth tracks.

pardon me if this sounds cynical. I don't intend it to be. but isn't the suspension supposed to do the work of handling a rough track? or is mild chassis flex suppose to act as backup. Kinda like sway bars are to springs when handling body roll.

:sheep: :sheep:
CorradoPsi said:
i have experience with the swift too, one is sitting as parts in a box on my RC shelf right now. which is why i know it doesn't belong.

if you already own those 2 engines i would go with the RB to take care of the long and medium tracks, it will be lacking on the short track though. if your talking purchasing an engine for it, try the Novarossi 421B. it doesn't have quite the bottom end that the P5 does but it certainly doesn't lack like the RB's do. it also has lungs for days and will scream on the long tracks.

thats your preference, the swift requires it as I'm sure some other cars do too (rtr's are notorious for this and lack of loctite). the XB8, Kyosho's, Mugens, etc. come with the proper shims when you buy it. one of the advantages of a kit, you know its right.

again preference, ceramics last 3 times as long at 8 times the price and perform the same.

i liked the sheep

I already use the P5 on the short and RB on the long........I don't like trusting the manf. and when I got my KIII it needed to be shimmed all over as well as the Mugen Prospec.

I used to chew up non-cermaic bearings like candy and all I had to do is replace with ceramic and have yet to replace a set outside of me doing it for peace of mind before a big race or some money was on the line.

I have yet to drive a buggy with teh 421B and have heard good things about it....I will have to find someoen with the engine for me to flog for a bit.......

I like the sheep more as well

:sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Last edited:
Lessen said:
were you unimpressed with the buggy or the driving of the buggy? I know you said you thought it looked slapped together but I've heard the fit and finish was quite nice.

what would be the advantages of having a "little" chassis flex? From what I've read, I would be looking for those center braces to be made out of alloy rather than carbon.

you will not be disappointed it fit and finish. Go through your box. The alloy center brace may be in there. If not call ace hobby or were you got it and they will sent it to you free. Both alloy and graphite are included now in U.S. kits. I am very pleased with the handleing of the car. I have not raced it myself(bad driver) but the owner of the lhs put it in third of the A-main last week. He stated that it handled almost like his sp 1. Was a little loose on the rear but not bad. I guess first setup may not always be dead on dialed. lol
He is racing it again next week as well.

Lessen said:
pardon me if this sounds cynical. I don't intend it to be. but isn't the suspension supposed to do the work of handling a rough track? or is mild chassis flex suppose to act as backup. Kinda like sway bars are to springs when handling body roll.

not cynical at all. yes the suspension is supposed to do its job. the little bit of chassis flex allows it to tweak a bit under power and keep the wheels planted, and to follow really rough terrain by flexing to accomodate it rather than fight it. this is what the pro's have told me, they would feel the difference better than i would. some cars flex more than others, i know my XB8 flexes because i can see a rub mark under the clutch bell on the chassis where it hits occationally.

what kinda dirt are you running on rustlerdood, because around here a set of bearings lasts a season or 2. except clutch bearings of course.

if you really want a sick motor try out the medial pro M2K.

you also bought your K3 used, it needing to be shimmed is expected. if the prospec was new, i dont know what to say. my experience with top level cars is that they come with the proper shims, so when you build it, its right the first time. some RTR cars require you to tear them down, shim, then rebuild, defeating the purpose of being "RTR". that was my point.

:jk: I think too many people are unaware of the value in shimming your drivetrain....I see guys throw 100 gear sets at T-maxxes and tear em up in a day....and all they needed in the first place was a $2 set of shims....I'v also seen guys bitch and cry about the crappy quality of the mayhem, go buy th eXB8 and put it together in a half assed way and bitch about the quality of that buggy......my point is any buggy is really on ly aas good as the build.....or the re-build....you can take a mayhem and race it if you go through th etrouble of re-building it.....you can take an XB8 and race it and have it fall apart in 4 mins.....maintenance and build are more important than any brand name across your RC...BUT the MBXs, Xrays & Kyoshos if built properly will be a much more race oriented and more durable buggy than any of the RTRs......parts material and craftsmanship are way better in those RCs than the RTRs......Who makes the swift I keep hearing about, is that a hot bodies RC?

Plaidfish said:
Who makes the swift I keep hearing about, is that a hot bodies RC?

PRP, which I beleive is Power Racing Products

Mr T

comp75 said:
The alloy center brace may be in there. If not call ace hobby or were you got it and they will sent it to you free. Both alloy and graphite are included now in U.S. kits. .

oh that's cool! I was unaware they they were even making an alloy brace. I jus remembered reading an article and that was somehting they had talked about that would probably need upgraded.

corrado- thanks for the explanation :)

CorradoPsi said:
if you really want a sick motor try out the medial pro M2K.

Can I get a link on where to buy this sick motor?

actually they just came out with the M3K here

but the M2K i was talking about is here

You really ought to compare one RTR to another, or an ARR to another ARR.

Corrado how you finding your xb8!!!!!!
any faults or weak points yet
any goods and bads give it the run down parts broken etc etc

Back