Mugen Vs Kyosho VS XB8 Vs Mayhem Vs EB4 S3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is the Hemet race where you can only use a Kyosho car??? like the HPI race I read about.....Gee look savages swept the podium in that one.....

Southern said:
RD,

Care to elaborate? Why is it a "passing fad"?

The new Mugen is the must have at the local track and at races in the Nor cal area but when it comes time to take home the trophy all the guys pull out their Kanai IIIs......almost all of the people I know with Mugen Prospecs have the Kanai III and the people are trying the new thing........

Last edited:
breakin2 said:
Well, at the Worlds Kyosho took 2,3,and 4. Not too shabby either.
hows that saying go
if it aint first it dont count :) lol
worlds and all these high end races mean squat all, you could give any of those guys any of the cars and they would still win with it, after all the car dosent drive itself

As to the Mayhem not being in the same league ,I would have to disagree. The Pro ARR comes set up ready to race. Just because it may not have some upgrades as some of the other"popular" buggies have, doesn't make it any less competitive. Driving ability is paramount! IMO, even the RTR is very competitive right out of the box, I would say it's the most well suited RTR you can buy to race.

is the Hemet race where you can only use a Kyosho car??? like the HPI race I read about.....Gee look savages swept the podium in that one.....

Uh, no. Every buggy mentioned in this thread was well represented. As for the explanation, that it's not the buggy, it's the driver - of course that's true. However, EVERY buggy there had good drivers representing them. Drake was driving his Jammin, the Wheelers drove their Xrays, Bradley his Mugen, and Saxon his TTR.

Breakin,
You missed my point. I'm not making excuses for vehicle inificiencies, I'm just stating that it takes an exceptional vehicle and driver to win. The big contests only prove one aspect, all the practices prove another. After all, the main race only lasts a few hours, but all the practicing to get there takes months. My point was this, just because the Mayhem is somewhat new and affordable, does't make it unworthy of comparison as CorradoPsi implied it was. Of course this is just my perspective and a limited one at that. I doudt anyone would enter a compatition and loose because they had a Mayhem. It is an excellent entry level/experianced racer buggy that delivers.

the pro ARR is a little better than the RTR version but not much IMO....wasn't terribly impressed w/ either but it's definately not a long term buggy.....Like I said the issue seems to be more w/ people abusing them, than the buggy itself....but even w/ the best of care they just don't hold up as well as the others....I would rather get an OFNA if I had to get a RTR buggy.....

ok, so how good of a driver do you have to be to even be able to make use of the advantages of one over the other? I mean, I'm a total newb and would drive them all poopy. I bought an S3 cuz it's different and it looks strong. I think most people will agree race unseen that it probably has the stiffest chassis, but how good do you REALLY have to be to notice that difference? like 1, 2, or 3+ years of racing experience? just curious...

depends on your racing experience prior Lessen. if you come from racing touring cars for 10 years, then you will probibly notice the differences in chassis in about 6 months. if you have no racing experience at all, give yourself 2-3 years. now granted, when PSUNitro drove my Xray, he noticed an immediate difference to his storm. but then thats because I'm running a high end motor, clutch, servo's, etc. i also had Gene Hickersons current setup on it as well. so there was a vast difference for him, and he's only been racing 6 mos, and into RC's for a bit over a year now.

but that does bring up another good point. even for a newbie, the pro level cars are driven by pros. and they tend to freely share thier setups and advice. so when you by your car, your also buying an expert drivers experience and assistance. gene hickerson and david joor have both been helping me with my setup since i bought the car. they make themselves readily availible on other forums. so they can provide setup advice to someone who may not know what they are doing at first. which means that the new driver will have an easier to drive car to learn on.

sgt. blammo, please dont take offense to my comment about the mayhem. its a very good car yes. but a PRO level buggy no, not even the mayhem pro. i know horizons advertisements are good, and it has a lot of features, but. I've seen just about every buggy there is on the track, and yes a mayhem can keep up in the right hands, at club level racing. but thats as far as it goes. when you come right down to it, if you hold a new 777sp1, XB8, MBX-5prospec, next to a mayhem, its just a different level car. the drivetrains are smoother and more efficient. the weight is lower in the chassis and more shifted toward the center. the fit and finish is better. the quality of materials is better. this is why these kits cost 500-750 without engine, tires, radio, and why they are the top of the line cars.

Sgt Blamo said:
As to the Mayhem not being in the same league ,I would have to disagree. The Pro ARR comes set up ready to race. Just because it may not have some upgrades as some of the other"popular" buggies have, doesn't make it any less competitive. Driving ability is paramount! IMO, even the RTR is very competitive right out of the box, I would say it's the most well suited RTR you can buy to race.

When I win the lottery buggy I will give the Mayhem a good flogging and report back to you on how it fairs compared to a Kanai III, MP777, Swift Pro, MBX5, and MBX5 Prospec.............at least in regards to how good it is out of the box in racing conditions. I will make sure to take apart the buggy and shim everything and loc tite all the goodies...plus I will put cermaic bearings in all the critical places just to make sure it has a fair chance.

Actually you can pick which motor to put in:

Nova. P5 or RB WS7II?

not that it really matters for me but other newbies in the market to purchase might like to know... I know there hasn't been gobs of talk about it. But would any of you racers consider the S3 to be at the same level as the 777sp1, XB8, and prospec? or is it a notch down?

yes i would consider it to be up there. and even better yet an optioned out TTR. if you have ever seen one in person its quite a site, a rather burly looking buggy. and they handle pretty well too.

RustlerDood said:
When I win the lottery buggy I will give the Mayhem a good flogging and report back to you on how it fairs compared to a Kanai III, MP777, Swift Pro, MBX5, and MBX5 Prospec.............at least in regards to how good it is out of the box in racing conditions. I will make sure to take apart the buggy and shim everything and loc tite all the goodies...plus I will put cermaic bearings in all the critical places just to make sure it has a fair chance.

Actually you can pick which motor to put in:

Nova. P5 or RB WS7II?

1 swift pro, doesn't belong in that lineup.

2 what kinda track? can't pick a motor without knowing that.

3 no pro car should have to be taken apart and locktited and shimmed, thanks for the extra example.

4 no pro buggy comes with ceramic bearings. reason 1 is cost, reason 2 they give the same performance as steel bearings.

5 this sheep is jumping rope :sheep:

Last edited:
CorradoPsi said:
yes i would consider it to be up there. and even better yet an optioned out TTR. if you have ever seen one in person its quite a site, a rather burly looking buggy. and they handle pretty well too.

cool. I have one, it's just not assembled yet.

i still can't see what all there can be that makes the mugen worth freakin $800..

for me, what i read/researched, was that fror the money, the mayhem pro was by far the best "bang for the buck"...it has everything anyone needs...now if you are a pro makin money..it might not be what you get, but for everyone else..it seems to be that there is just nothing better for what you get...

i got mine used, in really good shape, and i traded stuff for the money i used to buy it, so i basically have less than $200 out-of-pocket in it ready to race with hitec digital servos...

i cannot possibly imagine that there is ANYTHING "that" much better...

a couple local guys told me (both are hyper 7 guys) that they thought the mayhem they drove handled and jumped better than their own buggies..so that was cool to here..so i KNOW that it can be setup to win...

anyways..just my $.02 worth

I can't speak on the TT buggy but just from using the TT .21 pro engine I know TT has their poop together more than most people give them credit.....I like that .21 engine more than the OS RG....it's cheaper and it has more top end and the same if not more bottom....holds a tune very well and it's funny to see the pink head...looks like a sissy car engine......anyway the mayhem is a good car "for the money"....I've only had an 1/8thscale for 4-5 months now and after driving other top end cars I do see the difference......the OFNA is just very blah compared to the super response on the XB8 or any of the other top cars mentioned.....the mayhem is in the same category....it's good but it won't give that extra little bit of control that you get from lowering the center of gravity by channeling the chassis....or laying down the front servo.....or just by the nature of a kit, being able to put the engine and servos best suited to your driving style......I like ridiculously fast servos for throttle and very light brakes....so a RTR just wont give that....I may not be the best driver out there but I improve every time I go.....I analyze my mistakes and try not to make them twice.....I've at least tried a lot of the other buggies and can give a psuedo informed answer.....if you get the chance try a friends MBX or XB8 if you can...you WILL see a difference from the Mayhem and OFNA buggies....

birdie_in_texas said:
i still can't see what all there can be that makes the mugen worth freakin $800..

for me, what i read/researched, was that fror the money, the mayhem pro was by far the best "bang for the buck"...it has everything anyone needs...now if you are a pro makin money..it might not be what you get, but for everyone else..it seems to be that there is just nothing better for what you get...

i got mine used, in really good shape, and i traded stuff for the money i used to buy it, so i basically have less than $200 out-of-pocket in it ready to race with hitec digital servos...

i cannot possibly imagine that there is ANYTHING "that" much better...

a couple local guys told me (both are hyper 7 guys) that they thought the mayhem they drove handled and jumped better than their own buggies..so that was cool to here..so i KNOW that it can be setup to win...

anyways..just my $.02 worth
Birdie i hate to tell you this but in nz were only paying about 1000nz dollars, so about 600 us for the mugens, sounds like your being ripped by your lhs, i saw one on a us site the other day for 450us free shipping within the states

Plaidfish said:
I can't speak on the TT buggy but just from using the TT .21 pro engine I know TT has their poop together more than most people give them credit.....I like that .21 engine more than the OS RG....it's cheaper and it has more top end and the same if not more bottom....holds a tune very well and it's funny to see the pink head...looks like a sissy car engine......anyway the mayhem is a good car "for the money"....I've only had an 1/8thscale for 4-5 months now and after driving other top end cars I do see the difference......the OFNA is just very blah compared to the super response on the XB8 or any of the other top cars mentioned.....the mayhem is in the same category....it's good but it won't give that extra little bit of control that you get from lowering the center of gravity by channeling the chassis....or laying down the front servo.....or just by the nature of a kit, being able to put the engine and servos best suited to your driving style......I like ridiculously fast servos for throttle and very light brakes....so a RTR just wont give that....I may not be the best driver out there but I improve every time I go.....I analyze my mistakes and try not to make them twice.....I've at least tried a lot of the other buggies and can give a psuedo informed answer.....if you get the chance try a friends MBX or XB8 if you can...you WILL see a difference from the Mayhem and OFNA buggies....
keep in mind the os rg is one of os base line motors, compair with the vzb vspec if you want to compair apples

I know it is...I got a V-spec for my XB8 but I'm waiting to get better at controlling this thing before I just waste a good engine....the Buggies I try at the track have everything from WS7II and P5s to VZB and V-specs.....I tried my XB8 before I bought it with a 421b and it was just bad ass......that's more than I need right now.....I was just saying the TT pro is a well made engine and it reflects good on the company making them....my RG can hang w/ guys running the WS7II and the VZB on our track..it's very tight and no real straight (anymore)....the only place I was getting killed was on the straight, when we had one.....the RB just looked like it kicked into 2nd gear it had so much top end....but the RG and TT pro can do some damage on those short twisty courses if you tune em right...and if you pop one OH well.... sell the carb for 35 bucks and go get a new engine for 95.....

BTW I have a brandy new TT pro for sale if anyone is interested....

Back