looking to get into 1/8 buggy racing recommendations for a buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
errr you seem to have a problem with RC? :boxing:

I'm with Plaid, 4hp is way too much power! Even if you have a light trigger finger that is alot of power!

not a problem...just think somewhere along the way you have to just see it for what it is......$900....that's way excesive for an engine in a TOY....whether we all admit it or not we play w/ these things...unless there are some pros here???...then I can understand it....but at that point you'd get it free anyway.......I run an RG in my buggy and it's pretty freakin quick....I see guys w/ RBs and rossis and the only place they really notice is on long straights..they pull away but I catch up in the corners.....HMMMM RG = 90 bucks other crazy engines = 300+.....time difference??? 2 - 5 secs......ahhh I don't see getting 4 HP so I can what? spin the treads off my tires faster......900 bucks IMO would be going into a legends engine or a R6.....I can ALMOST see myself dropping that for an airplane but not something w/ wheels......
but that's just my :2cents: you take it how U want to

Plaidfish said:
900 bucks for a toy's engine?!?!?!?!!?!?
C'mon Man that's insane...
that's when you need to wait for a sponsorship to get it......

The mill is brand new and the only friends of mine who have it are sponsored drivers who do well in the Worlds & Nationals....even a sponsor is going to balk at that price...........

Ryan with savage said:
LOL, no you are right!Cheap V-spec

Sorry about being a smart @rse.....

No product found....WTF????

RustlerDood said:
The mill is brand new and the only friends of mine who have it are sponsored drivers who do well in the Worlds & Nationals....even a sponsor is going to balk at that price...........QUOTE]

yeah it just seems a little ridiculous...your friends are pro or am sponsor?...I was reffering to pros, when people get money on top of their product to get these things.....for that kind of dough it had better be one hell of a engine and last 2 times longer than the others do....all I see is, a V-spec runs around 250 bucks and it's a damn good engine......the others just seem like an exotic car...sure you can buy a mustang and get it to outrun a ferrari for less than 1/2 the cost....but the ferrari is definately more unique...if you go to a race to win do you want to get it done or just have something that's different???

I have friends who are pro & sponsored respectively............I race all my cars and I have never bashed any of my cars...the only time all of my cars have seen have been on the track.

I will be formally starting to travel for races beginning in Feb. and I will be going to the big races..........where the big dogs play (pros etc....). So I am looking for an engine which gives good power and is reasonable priced...I know I will be dropping around $250 an engine and I plan on having at least two mills when racing.....

I take this "toy" thing pretty seriously. I will be racing against the pros in 1/8th scale buggies and then in 1/10 scale nitro truck.....

I know some people have a problem w/ calling them toys but they are...just really cool ones....I'd consider 1:1 race cars toys...I even consider my 1950 MG TD a "toy"......but I still think 900 is a bit steep for an engine....you can get awsome results from the WS7II and the V-Spec....I think if you really want to get into racing then you need to see what engine suits your driving style.....ie if you drive at a more consistant speed and are very fluid then you'd want something w/ alot on top cause you'll be driving your car in that range, if you drive balls to the wall and break hard into the corners then you'd want something that has bottom end torque cause you'll be at the bottom on every corner.....I would recommend the V-spec cause it's an O.S. and they just have the easiest to tune carbs (IMO) and they just wail on most engines on the track......I wasn't trying to insult anyone with the toy refference..just using my term for what I call it.....I don't race but I mostly run my stuff at the track cause it's fun....racing usually gets crazy on the budget......like 900 bucks an engine crazy???

yeah.....my current stable of race vehicles are:

Assoc. T4 (Brushless)
B4 (For sale)
RC10GT (sold shipping on monday)
RC18T (Mamba Brushless)
Losi Adam Drake 2
Schum. Mi2
Kyosho Kanai III (mill to be determined but right now it looks like a Picco engine will be the winner claimed hp 2.7 @ 41,000rpm)

CorradoPsi said:
haha, if you really belive the numbers at least take the ones off a dyno link to vspecs numbers

That engine would be a great choice if it were not for the need of turbo plugs @ 8.99 a pop

i find the turbo plugs last alot longer for some odd reason. i hae the turbo plus for my fantom and they last a good while in it. i hink i had over a gallon before the first 1 gave out. an that was the plug i broke the engine in with. plug number 2 has over 1/2 a galoon and works like new. lets see regular plugs would last me about 1/2 a gallon or so and turbo plugs last over a gallon. i prefer the turbo plugs

yup, i have the same experience that mudbug does, my original P3 plug i broke my Vspec in with lasted 1.25 gallons. I'm on my second one now. on top of that you can get them cheap from www.rc-mushroom.com like $25 for 6 iirc.

I haven't tried the picco engine (only the P2) but if it's anything like the P2 for the maxx it's gonna suck to tune...my p2 was a bat outta hell...when it ran right...I spent more time adjusting the peice o crap than running it though....get a slight breeze and there goes the tune....corrado is right O.S. is notorious for under stating their engines....they are always way above the specs they post.....You really should consider the V-spec...I know I'm putting one in my next buggy FO SURE....everyone I see run those things is AWESOME....I just got a promo and raise fri and I think I'm doing some early refund spending this week on a MBX5 and V-spec.....I keep going back and forth on that.....but damn those engines are sweet.....

A last minute mill change is in the works for my Kanai III....a friend at a LHS is going to try and secure a Novarossi Rex P5 (turbo) for me which has the long stroke over the short which comes in the Nov. TOP P5. My friend at the LHS gets 20% so I am just going to give him the cash and have him order plus some turbo plugs.

good choice, i have a P5 std. sitting on my shelf waiting for me to need it, i got it when PDLracing was blowing them out on ebay. i wish i could have got my hands on a turbo version, but a simple button change is all thats needed to run a turbo plug anyway. its a Top version. fyi, all the P5's currently being made are long stroke, all the older P5's were short stroke. also all P5's are identical, rex/top/novarossi, the only difference in any of them is the color of the head, and the logo cast into the side of the block.

button change??? Do you mean change the head to fit the turbo plug? How easy is that to do? I am actually not a big fan of turbo plugs and was thinking of switching it to standard.

well when you get it ill trade you if you want. its actually a 2 piece head. there is a combustion chamber that holds the plug directly on top of the sleeve. it fits underneith the cast cooling head and you can change it in case you strip it out, or want to change glow plug type.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.......I am thinking about it.........I have a race on Sat.....so I think I will just stick with it for now or at least until after Sat.

vbgagnon said:
With their last engine OS flopped, but before the VZ-B the VZ01-b was and still is a great engine, and now the VZ-B Spec is one of the top mills on the market today. You won't find it listed for less then 299, but you can get it for less if you call the place your buying from. Its got insane low end and the top end that is almost as high as the WS72 by RB.

I found a Novarossi Rex P5 turbo for $279.99

Back