looking to get into 1/8 buggy racing recommendations for a buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use your 357 and 358 servo's in the buggy, those are the 2 prefered by most 8th scale guys, and will do the job great. id assume you have a radio you can use for the buggy already too? if thats the case, you will only need the buggy, engine, and misc equipment. whats your budget so we know what we're working with?

the best buggies on the market right now are the jammin X1, Xray XB8, Mugen MBX-5 prospec, Kyosho 777 SP1, and TTR S3. some will say one is better than another, all are the newest and fastest buggies on the market right now. I'm biased towards the Xray obviously because i own one, and you will find others with different brand loyalties as well. just research which will be the best for you, pricewise, and parts availability. if you can afford to keep a lot of spares handy. any car is within reach as you can fix your car from your parts stash till you order more. (which is what i do)

I currently have the M8 for my radio and usually use the Hitec 3 channel rec....I know they are cheap but I have them in all my race cars and have not had one break on me yet nor have any interference problems.....

For the engine I was thinking of starting out with a Hyper 8 port until I get better at driving 1/8 scale at my local track.

I was looking to buy something used and just rebuild it....as for my budget I would like to try and keep things under $900

Sportwerks Mayhem RTR - bout $550 or $390 for the ARR. Sweet ride. Also the Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro is nice. These are more of a racer-on-a-budget kind of ride. And don't think that if you don't get the Special version of the 777 that it is not worth it. It is still a Kyosho buggy after all. These are all on my list if I get a new buggy.

any of the kits i mentioned will be fine for your budget, you will want to figure on a starter box as well, wheels and tires(at least 2 sets for your local track), and i would steer clear of the hyper and recommend an OS RG instead. similar power, smoother delivery, and a less problematic engine. this should easily fall in under 900. as for rebuilding, if its your first buggy, trust me and buy new, its safer that way, I've bought enough used chassis's to know.

a collari B3 engine would be a great investment too. I've seen them going for about 160 on ebay. everyone whos driven them raves about them.

I have the M8 radio with hitec 3 channel rec...
2 Airtronics 94358Z ERG-VB Hi-Speed/Hi-Torque 200 oz/in
1 Airtronics 94357Z ERG-VR Hi-Speed/Hi-Torque 125 oz/in
2 Air. 9402 that came with the M8

My budget: I would like to keep things under $900 if possible....will be in the market for the buggy in two weeks but I have been searching the for sale board and missed out on two different buggies

Hey guys, just merged the 2 threads that Rustlerdood started..

moderators on the patrol :alarm: :batman:

I already have a starter box for my on-road as well as my RC10GT so I got the starter box end covered. I would have thought for $900 I would be above the budget minded racer level...but okay. I will be in the 1/8 scale scene for a bit and I am very serious when it comes to racing and I Do not mind paying for the best I just hate getting raked over the coals for so-so stuff..............

well you can have a pro quality buggy for that price, if all you need is a chassis and engine, you can get a pretty sick combo. so i recommended the best chassis's on the market right now. if you want a better engine just say so, but you said you wanted something to learn on, so i recommended accordingly. you could always go pick up a novarossi P5 or 421B in addition to an Xray or a Jammin and still be within budget.

can I get a link for these engines and good chassis selection?

900 bucks you could get a new MBX5, a little more cash would get a new xb8 and the engine set you want.....just not the MBX5 prospec model....I always wait until parts break to upgrade em anyway.....

Maybe it's just me, but I buy my stuff from my LHS and I expect I'd pay more than $900 for an engine, pipe and a kit. Maybe you guys are thinkin about prices for online shops, but I personally never do that too my LHS. :2cents:

I usually find that the most expensive or most ported motors arent always the best. I got a buddy that has an OS RG and that motor screams, and my OPS motor is only a 4 port and there aint a motor I can't keep up with. (I didnt say out run)

bigfreak said:
Maybe it's just me, but I buy my stuff from my LHS and I expect I'd pay more than $900 for an engine, pipe and a kit. Maybe you guys are thinkin about prices for online shops, but I personally never do that too my LHS. :2cents:

those are rough estimate for an MBX5 w/ either V-spec or the W7 (?), clutch setup and a good pipe w/ the kit from my LHS.....I can't imagine shops elswhere charging much more than that......maybe add another 50 to 100.....

I have a sale pending on purchasing a Kanai III which I found in the FS/FT section of this site.

So now I have the servos, radio, starter box, rec, and etc taken care of.....now I just need a good reliable mill. I have been looking online for a Nov. P5 engine but have yet to find one. So basically I just need an engine at this point. Thanks for all your help...all of u!

V-Spec....V-Spec.....V-Spec.....
Oh yeah you might want to check out the V-SPEC

that mill rocks on technical courses......the RB seems to win the long straights though....Rossi is just out of my price range.....sorry no opinion

Link to v-spec...never heard of it.

and they run about 1/2 the price of some of those rossi engines.....

Back