Looking for a good air compressor to clean my Nitro's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
badboy2 said:
thats the one i got

Do you like it? Or would you recomend something else? I am not looking to paint my house or anything that big, but as long as I can use it to lets say pump up a car or trailer tire, and run and airbrush, I am cool with it.

Tom

Running a nailer or pneumatic tools will put the greatest load on a compressor. Small compressors don't have the capacity to keep up with those under consistent use.

I use mine for airing tires and blowing off nitro truck.

For airbrushing I have a separate portable cylinder. (Receiver cylinder from the pneumatic circuit of a semi-tractor.) I plumbed it with quick connect fittings in and out, moisture separator and a regulator. I made the mistake of plumbing it with brass IPS fittings instead of flare or compression fittings. Even with teflon pipe dope those fittings leak air and the tank is dry by morning.

This isn't my compressor, but it's the same type. Granted I use it to run 2 sand balsters, airbrush and other air operated machineries but it's great for blowing clean an R/C. Air lines are plumbed throughout the whole work shop.
[inwindow=300]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90836[/inwindow]
THIS is what you should be looking at for the hobby and around the house stuff. Something like this can be found at SEARS or home depot.

Diver6127 said:
This isn't my compressor, but it's the same type. Granted I use it to run 2 sand balsters, airbrush and other air operated machineries but it's great for blowing clean an R/C. Air lines are plumbed throughout the whole work shop.
[inwindow=300]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90836[/inwindow]
THIS is what you should be looking at for the hobby and around the house stuff. Something like this can be found at SEARS or home depot.

How did you make that webpage inside of this one like that Diver6127?

now we can get back to topic, on air compressors...sorry about that thread jacking godale03.
-Pat (redhatman)

My parents are gonna put a 125gal in our shop we are building. We would be running plumbing throughout the shop so we could use the air everywhere. May be overkill, but its one hell of a compressor...

Plaidfish said:
is thAT ONE DIRECTED AT ME??? oops....funny guy....bigger tank.....
I just got a new regulator and a second water separator to run an airbrush and have controls at my work bench.....I bought a cheapo airbrush to see if I like it...I saw one for 10 bucks NIP at the flea market sunday......and the guy had no clue what the regulator / separator was so I got it for 5....love the garbage sale section at the market.......

:cheers:

redhatman said:
now we can get back to topic, on air compressors...sorry about that thread jacking godale03.
-Pat (redhatman)

No worries man... were all family here..... Just don't let it happen again!!!! LOL :jk:

take care man...

Tom

haha, i tend to do that a lot...thats why i am so sorry.

so godale03, do you have any that you are close to buying?

redhatman said:
so godale03, do you have any that you are close to buying?

You know I am leaning toward the craftsman only because I have a year old Sears gift certificate that I have to use before they start charging me to have it. The compressor would only cost me $40 and so if it sucks I am not out a whole lot. My father and my soon to be father inlaw have really big garage style compressors so if I really needed something big I could always use theirs. I am just looking for something to lug back an forth from the track and use around the house for airbrushing and making sure my truck and trailer tires are inflated. I don't know a whole lot about compressors so I am trying to make an educated buy. That is why I solicited the advice of all here at my favorite spot on the net. The sale ends sunday so I am going to have to make a decision here quick. The only problem is that the compressors go from the one I am looking at regularly $110 then they jump to $200, and higher, and after a trip to Italy I am a little tight on cash. We shall see, I like all the compressors that have been mentioned here, but they are a little more than I can afford at this point.

Tom

for something to lug to the track and for tire filling and airbrushing a 3 - 6 gallon compressor is more then enough. if you plan to use air tools such as nail guns then you need to check on the compressors SCFM and see if the compressor is a match or rated higher.

for the track I just bring a small 2gallon unit I got at walmart for 60$ for home I just picked up a 2hp 6gallon unit that does 3SCFM@90psi I got on sale for 90$ once I move into my new house i'll plumb my work area with multiple hookup's as well as a line to the garage.

it should work fine. because i went to sears and got the same thing but i went to walmart and got a 5 dollar handle and it works great

Pretty much any compressor with a reserve tank will do anything you want to do and run all sorts of attachments. Depending on the volume of work and size tools you plan to run with it will depend on the size compressor you will want to get. Also consider portability, while bigger is better, they aren't easier to move around and they take up more space.

hey, now I am looking at a compressor also. I found one at a local hardware store that is $60, has a 25ft hose, and is 70-100 psi. I would be using it mainly to blow out my rc cars. I am wondering how well this would compare to canned air. Currently I have been using canned air. Would it be a stronger blow than that? Thanks
-Pat (redhatman)

yes it would blow alot harder. but it depends on the tip you put on it. a smaller tip would have more force for like stuck on stuff but would take forever to knock the dust off a rc.. one with a bigger tip would move more air therefor blasting dust and stuff off faster but wont have the pressure to knock off stuck on stuff i foud a set that has a "air chuck" (the thing with the trigger) with different size interchangable tips.. a thing to air up tires with, and some other stuff.. then i got a coil up hose and some quick connect ends and I'm set..

so your saying for cleaning my cars I would want a bigger nozzle on the end? Wouldnt I want a smaller one to compress the pressure a bit more? Thanks a lot.
-Pat (redhatman)

Back