Shredding the tires on my UDIRC 1604 1/16 Rally Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burned-Out_Motor

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi!!

I am new to RC and just got a brushed UDIRC 1/16 rally car that I’m very happy with. I bought two extra Lithium Ion 7.4v 1200 mAh battery packs to use with it. I’m using rubber tires, not drift tires. I’m running the car in a school parking lot on concrete.

Each battery pack is about 15 - 18 minutes, I’ve run thru 4 battery packs so far which is around an hour of bashing and mainly practicing controlling the car so I don’t destroy it. So far the car’s only been run hard about an hour.

Wow - look at the tires!!!

816AE07D-0225-474E-9AC1-B8F5F6DEA225.jpeg

7B5BEB86-3DF4-4E9A-BF5C-B8B9EAFE77D1.jpeg

F5393EA2-80C6-401C-870F-89E870D15E18.jpeg
7392FCFD-5AB5-4E62-8523-378E7CCC7955.jpeg

I think another hour of doing laps around the parking lot will wear the tread right off so I ordered two replacement sets of wheels/tires for it.

Is this wear normal?

Would a higher quality wheel/tire from a different 1/16 scale brand work better? I note most 1/16 scale RC vehicles are crawlers. Most importantly, I need to know - are most 1/16 scale wheels for electric RC vehicles compatible with each other? If so, what do you guys recommend for concrete?

I don’t have a big smooth area to drift so I’m only going to be able to run this car on concrete. When these rubber tires wear out (probably by tomorrow), I’ll have to put the hard plastic drift wheels that also came with it on. Will they work on concrete?

Sorry for all the new guy questions.

I am enjoying working on the car, cleaning it after each run, lubing the moving parts, motor comm, brushes, and bearings with LaBelle 107 oil, getting all the debris out with a dry paint brush, blowing dust out with compressed air, etc. It’s all good fun.

You could say I am sort of ”drifting“ the car around the parking lot. It sure looks cool skidding across that pavement! Just need to solve the extreme tire wear problem.

If there are any better tires/wheels that’ll fit the car, please point me in the right direction!! I wasn’t expecting this.

I thought I’d need a better motor so I also bought a few extra brushed 380 motors to have fun breaking in with distilled water and an alkaline battery but the motor is not the problem. (Brushless is better, I know.)

Last edited:
AD852FE8-3662-418C-8CCF-344D039F521E.jpeg

I did a little research and obviously one can drift on concrete, no problem.

I also found these awesome wheels! If I can get them to fit, problem solved! 12mm hex - I wonder if that’s what’s on the UDIRC cars?

Thoughts?

View attachment 167480
I did a little research and obviously one can drift on concrete, no problem.

I also found these awesome wheels! If I can get them to fit, problem solved! 12mm hex - I wonder if that’s what’s on the UDIRC cars?

Thoughts?

Tires wear, an hour of solid bashing is pretty good for a set. You could rotate those before they're completely bare and get a bit more life out of them.

I believe those UDIRC cars have 9mm hexes, those traxxas wheels would be too large for the wheel wells, too.

Tires wear, an hour of solid bashing is pretty good for a set. You could rotate those before they're completely bare and get a bit more life out of them.

I believe those UDIRC cars have 9mm hexes, those traxxas wheels would be too large for the wheel wells, too.
Thanks for the reply! Well, that’s good to know. I did rotate those tires and did wear them down to almost nothing then put the drift wheels on. My car came with 2 sets of wheels - one rubber pair, one hard plastic drift pair.. Even the drift wheels are looking pretty beat up now so I ordered two more pairs of stock rubber tires.

I believe I may be able to get those 12mm hex wheels to fit by removing the 9mm fake disc brake piece and installing a similar 12mm piece.

I bought a generic body that I can mod and install so there will be clearance. I might have to trim the bumper but I bet they’ll fit.

As with a real car, once you start changing stuff…anything can happen - Overheated motor, stripped gears, etc…no guts, no glory!

I'm trying to build a low cost, durable, custom car.

IMG_8110.jpeg

Well, this was easier than I thought.

I’d be out bashing right now but I discovered that when I removed the stock wheels, a tie rod was worn and kept falling out.

I need to replace some worn parts or at least get some zip ties to keep the steering assembly together.

Apart from that, I don’t even have to do much trimming!

Looking forward to the top speed boost!!

View attachment 168549

Well, this was easier than I thought.

I’d be out bashing right now but I discovered that when I removed the stock wheels, a tie rod was worn and kept falling out.

I need to replace some worn parts or at least get some zip ties to keep the steering assembly together.

Apart from that, I don’t even have to do much trimming!

Looking forward to the top speed boost!!
How did it go with these tires? And what was the final install process, given the different when nut etc. I am new to the UDI tires as well which shred quickly. Let me know.