Oil on Brushes and Comm Issue

• Thread starter Burned-Out_Motor
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burned-Out_Motor

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I‘m using a brushed motor and as part of maintenance, I routinely blow debris out of the car and motor with compressed air. Once cleaned, I add a drop of LaBelle 107 oil (primarily designed for model trains) to the bearings and comm. Usually this works fine.

The other day, the car started smelling like it was burning. It was sluggish at first, then took off. The burning stench was bad. It smelled like fried electronics but the car worked fine the rest of the day.

A few bashings later, I cleaned up and lubed the car and motor, put the batteries in and decided to hold the car up and spin the tires and turn the wheels to make sure everything works after reassembly. That’s when I noticed the inside of the motor was all but on fire when I applied the throttle! Not just sparking and arcing, but flaming. It only did this for a few seconds. Pretty sure it was the LaBelle 107 oil on the comm and brushes burning off. Wow - the stuff is supposed to be safe for brushes and states on the label it is to be applied directly to the comm and brushes.

I think the problem was me applying full throttle to the motor right after applying the oil to the brushes. If I’d run it 1/4 throttle for 30 secs or so this wouldn’t have happened.

So - should I skip lubing the comm and brushes? Use a different product to do so?
Did I damage the receiver or ESC when that motor was flaming out? (I believe it was basically shorting out for a few seconds.)

I am new to the hobby, BTW….thanks!

You didn't damage anything if it still works. I wouldn't lube brushes. Just a drop on the bearings and even that only after a good few packs, depending on where you run it.

Comm drops are designed to be placed directly on the commutator and will soak into brushes, I only use this product here:
https://www.teamtrinity.com/trinity-black-death-power-comm-drops-4052.html

1688482983546.png

comm drops are a bab idea.with comm drops you will have to clean comm.5 minutes after you run motor(i used them once its was a bad add.) I add any oil b4 I put brushes in and not after I only use Zmax

Never lubed either the comm or brushes. Brushes I used contained some percentage of graphite. The graphite acted as a lubricate sufficient for my use.

After every event, broke down the motor. Routine maintenance included cleaning or re-cutting the comm and re-surfacing the brushes. Single drop of light machine oil on the bearings in the can.

My application was limited to RC full prep drag racing. Short in duration. Brutal on brushes and comms.

On occasion, would use a steel can motor with internal brushes and brass (oilite) shaft bushings in Bracket Class. Used a spray can of brush cleaner with spray tube inserted into the can cooling holes. Drop of light machine oil on both end bell bushings. Then spin the motor up off-power by connecting a test stand motor to it using a short length of nitro fuel tubing.

Hope this answers the mail and helps in choosing a course of action. 'AC'

I have grown to accept that comm drops are essential for me to properly break in a motor per the directions provided above by Trinity.

I used to race Spec Slash and it was a YUGE advantage for the handful of guys who were using comm drops. Eventually everyone was using comm drops where difference in performance is staggering.

People who don't break in a motor and/or refuse to use comm drops are going to be dissapointed and left with overheating issues :(

You didn't damage anything if it still works. I wouldn't lube brushes. Just a drop on the bearings and even that only after a good few packs, depending on where you run it.

Ok, I’m going with that! It still works. I think the LaBelle 107 oil is perfect for toy motors with those little copper metal brushes. Probably not ideal for a hobby grade RC car with graphite impregnated brushes.

I think I could have used that oil with no problems if I’d applied it and run the car at 1/4 to 1/2 speed for a minute or two. I most likely used too much then ran it wide open while holding it. It was quite an electrical, fiery smoking spectacle. I should’ve recorded it! I don’t think I’ll use that particular oil on RC car brushes anymore.

I am bashing the heck out of an entry level RC car That has this motor installed. I've already shredded a bunch of tires and am looking to modify the car to accept bigger wheels and tires that should last longer.

I also think the nylon gears in the differential is stripping. I‘ll try replacing it with a metal one. I’m learning on this car and it very well might end up destroyed but that’s the only way I’ll learn what works and what doesn’t.

Back