Lock tite on wheel nuts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I must admit this one slipped my mind completely until the last bash session with Sky and M&M. Sky told me about it and my mook self dismissed the idea. Anyway while cleaning my stuff from that bash session I had my wheels off and when I replaced them I opted to add a little lock tite to the nuts to keep them from coming off.

Unfortunately I underestimated the strength of lock tite and thightened the wheels until veins started popping. Now this evening as I was getting ready for a test session in the parking lot of my apartment complex I opted to change from an off road tire to a a more on road like tire.

As I said earlier I underestimated the strength of lock tite. I about had an anerism trying to break free the lug nuts. The moral of the story is clear, when using lock tite just a hair over finger tite is plenty for the lug nuts.

How much LT did you use and was is medium strength (blue) ?
I used to make the mistake of applying too much when all I needed was just a drop.

i just use nyloc nuts. I've never had a problem with them coming off or even coming loose

yea the nylon locknuts work quite well, and you dont have to worry about putting LT on every time the wheels have to come off.

Originally posted by bashmaster
yea the nylon locknuts work quite well, and you dont have to worry about putting LT on every time the wheels have to come off.

Do they make nyloc nuts in 17mm??

Originally posted by militarymaxx
How much LT did you use and was is medium strength (blue) ?
I used to make the mistake of applying too much when all I needed was just a drop.
There's no such thing as too much. Well there is, too much lock tite is when it's dripping off. Everything else is just right.

Originally posted by Ryhton

Do they make nyloc nuts in 17mm??
Yes they do however they will not thread down far enough to allow the nylon portion of the nut to lock it in place. I suppose, providing you were able to keep it cool, you could cut the nut down to where there's only about 1/8th" of threads left.

Wow El, sounds like you burried the nuts into the rims.

Originally posted by El Pirata
I have no idea what you just said.... :confused:

Sorry, I thought you might have cranked down on the nuts that hold on the wheels so much they were digging into the rims, if I am not mistaken, the wheel nuts (which are steel) would bear down on the rims (which are usually aluminum or plastic). If not, I miss interpreted.

i just use stop nuts, they have a rubber oring in them and it holds them on quite well.

No these are on my buggies. The nuts didn't get buried in the plastic they was phenominally tight and held in place by lock tite. After only 4 anerisms I got all 4 loose but I will never put them on that tight again, well hopefully.

Originally posted by El Pirata
No these are on my buggies. The nuts didn't get buried in the plastic they was phenominally tight and held in place by lock tite. After only 4 anerisms I got all 4 loose but I will never put them on that tight again, well hopefully.

Oh, ok that explains it.

just wondering if u used the blue loctite or the red loctite? i usually use blue loctite on metal to metal contacts with no problem taking them off. but when using red.. woohhoo what a difference.

u learn from ur mistakes. lol.

later

MY dad decided to run my car without me for the first time ever and didnt tighten poop didnt even glue the tires. WWell a lugnut fell off and he loke dfor it ina field for an hour before finding it. So he says "They dont stay on good" and soaks threads in super glue.....FUN !FUN. Anyway I had to take a blow torch tot he luge nut to make um goopy so they'd come off

Originally posted by Waste Land
MY dad decided to run my car without me for the first time ever and didnt tighten poop didnt even glue the tires. WWell a lugnut fell off and he loke dfor it ina field for an hour before finding it. So he says "They dont stay on good" and soaks threads in super glue.....FUN !FUN. Anyway I had to take a blow torch tot he luge nut to make um goopy so they'd come off

lol. I'm suprised u didnt melt ur rim or light somethin on fire. lol.

later

A new "plastic stopnut" will usually cure the loosening of the wheel. Instead of the LocTite, place a small lockwasher (split or external tooth) between the flanged nyloc and the wheel washer. You then should not have an issue with the wheel accidentaly coming off unintentionaly or the removal of the wheel.

Originally posted by Maxx Trooper

lol. I'm suprised u didnt melt ur rim or light somethin on fire. lol.

later
if u notice in a few vids or pics of my storm one of the wheels is brown where the spokes meet, lol

Originally posted by Maxx Trooper
i usually use blue loctite on metal to metal contacts with no problem taking them off.
Put them on really tight using blue lock tite and you'll see what I mean.

Originally posted by Krusty
A new "plastic stopnut" will usually cure the loosening of the wheel. Instead of the LocTite, place a small lockwasher (split or external tooth) between the flanged nyloc and the wheel washer. You then should not have an issue with the wheel accidentaly coming off unintentionaly or the removal of the wheel.
Buggy, not enough threads. Most buggies have just enough threads on the hub to allow the nut to tighten flush.

Yesterday I spent 45 min. looking for a lost wheel nut.
Today I will have some blue loc-tight on them.

Hope they will come back off

I also found a dozen spares in the parts bin also helps but I dought those before Sky showed me the locktite trick.

Back