Little bit of news

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huggybear87

RCTalk Racer
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So about 6 months ago my wife and I sat down and had a chat, I wasn't happy with my job and we both felt that it was going nowhere, I said that I was interested in enlisting in the Australian Army. About a week later my wife told me there was an information night coming up. I attended went through all the steps and enlisted early November. I'm currently half way through my basic training and loving every minute of it.

Very cool @Huggybear87. What was you doing before hand? Do you know what you'll be doing once you're in the army?

Gratz man! I really wish I could have went in the service when I was younger just like my dad did but I couldnt. Shame to cuz now that I'm working as a contractor for the governemnt it will be extremely hard (as in it would take a miracle of biblical proportions) for me to ever transition over to civil service since i have no prior military. I might get lucky yet but hard to say. :)

It is an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.

I'm a qualified diesel mechanic, so I was working on trucks and trailers, I think you Americans call them tractor trailers? Anyway semis, big rigs whatever you call them there all the same, I've been qualified for 5 years now.
I've enlisted as a vehicle mechanic in the army so hopefully after basic a lot of my job specific training should be cut short due to the fact I've done most of it anyway to be qualified.

You'll most likely have to go through the entire training course with everyone else. If it's anything like here, there's the right way, the wrong way and the Army way.
On the bright side, your experience should get you promoted quickly.
So, do you call them lorrys?

In Australia we just call the trucks, and pick ups we call utes.
I understand exactly what you mean about the right way the wrong way and the army way. I also now understand hurry up and wait...
If I have to do the full mechanic course again it shouldn't be too bad it's all self paced anyway, so having done most of it before I should hopefully be able to smash through it...

Back