A Novice back to Rookie status after a 10yr hiatus

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD546

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
A (not so) quick story...Bought a TA ntc3 back in the early 2000's and got real good at tuning and racing around the cones in my apartment parking lot. Shortly after, I bought the neighbors T-Maxx3.3 that he got without the wife's approval. Practically brand new...only three tanks of fuel was ran through before he sold it to me at a VERY discounted price. So I can say I know my way around the hobby. So I thought! Due to life and kids, I have been out of the hobby for about ten years...

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, my mom's neighbor kid built a small track in his backyard for him and his buddies to race their Sentons. I thought these were some cheap knock-offs that you get from a department store. That was before I saw the way they rip around the track! They handed me a controller and BAM! I was hooked! Again! I'm the type to search for killer deals on used stuff instead of buying new stuff (I'm a cheap guy) I couldn't pass on a deal for a TA Pro4 SC10 with controller and battery and picked it up yesterday. I'm very happy with it...BUT...

I am clueless on the (new to me) LiPo way of life. I stopped by AMain hobby in Chico, Ca for some quick advise on chargers and to pick up a spare battery. Holy expensive visit! I got home and after reading a quick "LiPo charging for Dummies", I had the battery charged and ready to rip.

It came with the stock XP120 controller that seemed to work fine. But out of nowhere, the truck made a sharp left turn on its own. I changed the batteries for a fresh set of Costco specials and it worked fine for about 5min before the glitch got worse then before. I can't seem to find anything about these controllers except a reference somebody on this forum made about it. Are these just crap controllers? Do I need to put some lithium AA's in this? Or should I just try another controller from our retail lord, Amazon?

Is there anything else I should know about this truck? Will the MT10 parts fit? Because that's what comes up when looking for parts for a Pro4 SC10...

t came with the stock XP120 controller that seemed to work fine. But out of nowhere, the truck made a sharp left turn on its own. I changed the batteries for a fresh set of Costco specials and it worked fine for about 5min before the glitch got worse then before. I can't seem to find anything about these controllers except a reference somebody on this forum made about it. Are these just crap controllers? Do I need to put some lithium AA's in this? Or should I just try another controller from our retail lord, Amazon?
Its a normal RTR radio, its likely supposed to do that as RTR radios are not made well and have lots of issues. Id get rid of it and get a budget friendly radio from Amazon, here is my choices:

Budget:
  • FlySky GT3
  • FlySky GT5
  • FlySky GP7
  • RadioLink RC4GS V3 (Good choice for a starter radio, this was my first one, once I got rid of my Traxxas RTR radios which sucked)
  • RadioLink RC6GS V3
Mid-Range:
  • FlySky NB4
  • RadioLink RC8X (I have one, its not the best, been having lots of problems with it lately)
  • Futaba 4PM Plus
  • Sanwa MT lineup
Those radios have a much better quality and build, have lots of functions and settings you would need, the feel would be better in the hands, and some also have a gyro and failsafe.
Is there anything else I should know about this truck? Will the MT10 parts fit? Because that's what comes up when looking for parts for a Pro4 SC10...
Not super sure on that, I looked up Pro4 on AMains site, only a few parts were listed. I would follow the exploded views in the manual to search up part numbers if you need some replacement parts: https://img2.associatedelectrics.co.../Pro4SC10/RTR/20530-Pro4-Manual-1-28-2021.pdf
I am clueless on the (new to me) LiPo way of life. I stopped by AMain hobby in Chico, Ca for some quick advise on chargers and to pick up a spare battery. Holy expensive visit! I got home and after reading a quick "LiPo charging for Dummies", I had the battery charged and ready to rip.
Yea I had my first car, traxxas slash, in 2015. Really didn't get into the hobby in 2020 once I got another car (rustler). I was still using nimh battery packs up until summer of 2022 once I upgraded to LiPos, I was careful at first, but LiPos can be good and less hazardous if you take care of them properly. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to RCT bud. Glad to have you back in the hobby. It's a world of difference since then. That's a nice score on the 3.3

@DavidB1126 laid it out pretty well.. nicely done sir....

A (not so) quick story...Bought a TA ntc3 back in the early 2000's and got real good at tuning and racing around the cones in my apartment parking lot. Shortly after, I bought the neighbors T-Maxx3.3 that he got without the wife's approval. Practically brand new...only three tanks of fuel was ran through before he sold it to me at a VERY discounted price. So I can say I know my way around the hobby. So I thought! Due to life and kids, I have been out of the hobby for about ten years...

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, my mom's neighbor kid built a small track in his backyard for him and his buddies to race their Sentons. I thought these were some cheap knock-offs that you get from a department store. That was before I saw the way they rip around the track! They handed me a controller and BAM! I was hooked! Again! I'm the type to search for killer deals on used stuff instead of buying new stuff (I'm a cheap guy) I couldn't pass on a deal for a TA Pro4 SC10 with controller and battery and picked it up yesterday. I'm very happy with it...BUT...

It came with the stock XP120 controller that seemed to work fine. But out of nowhere, the truck made a sharp left turn on its own. I changed the batteries for a fresh set of Costco specials and it worked fine for about 5min before the glitch got worse then before. I can't seem to find anything about these controllers except a reference somebody on this forum made about it. Are these just crap controllers? Do I need to put some lithium AA's in this? Or should I just try another controller from our retail lord, Amazon?

Welcome to RCT!

David covered a good bit but Ill add some additional info.

I'm curious to know what they talked you in to buying at the hobby store because you probably way over paid and they likely sold you gear that isnt that good.

As for the unprompted turning to the left, Its hard to say whats causing that. Could be a defective receiver, transmitter, or servo. Could also be a loose connection but I'm assuming youve probably already checked for that.

First thing Id do is replace the TX/RX with an after market one with multiple model memory. I really like the Flysky GT3b and would recommend that since you seem to be a strict budget person. It has 10 model memory. Some of the more expensive radios will have more but 10 is decent. If you're the type that likes to tinker then Id definitely recommend the GT3b because there are several mods you can do to it.

If that didnt fix it then Id replace the servo and see if that fixes it. The only way to really troubleshoot these kinds of issues a lot of times is by replacing a suspect part with a known good/new part. Hopefully the radio fixes the issue. :)

The more I read yall's experiences with hobby shops the more glad I am I can trust mine💀 the amount of stripped screws they removed for me
Another vote for Flysky GT3b and wish I had one before I wasted money on all these single-memory transmitters

The more I read yall's experiences with hobby shops the more glad I am I can trust mine💀 the amount of stripped screws they removed for me
Its good if you have a LHS like that you can depend on. Most of them that I've been to if they have any knowledgeable people its usually like 1 guy who repairs RCs and everyone else is just some kid or random person just grinding out a minimum wage job. Or if the owner is there then they usually know a fair bit too.

Its good if you have a LHS like that you can depend on. Most of them that I've been to if they have any knowledgeable people its usually like 1 guy who repairs RCs and everyone else is just some kid or random person just grinding out a minimum wage job. Or if the owner is there then they usually know a fair bit too.
My LHS is a small family owned one. He has been in the RC scene for years and years. He also solders and 3d prints stuff. He is also a computer / pc repair business too. I always rely on him. He had the old old carpet track which he had to close due to high rent. The other hobby shop which is north of Bmore city is a small hobby shop, they carry more of the basher trucks and planes. I only been there once so idk the crew / who owns it, Looks like its a chain of hobby store because this is only one location of I think 9. Now the other (again) hobby shop is at the local indoor clay track in Gaithersburg, just a hobby shop, she has bashers, racers, mini z's, she is pretty knowledgeable about the cars and whole hobby. She has been there for 30 years now. If I need any help like 3d printing or soldering I just go to my uncle, or the family owned shop, or my race buddies if we can meet up. - We can't meet up alot / I can rarely see them since RCUA closed and we went our own ways. Mostly because I can't make it up to where they want to go to which those 2 tracks are an hour, and almost 2 hours north in PA. (The Factory & 997)
I know HobbyTown is a chain of store locations, trying to think where they are, I think there is one somewhere near virginia beach, and one in the Fedrick area.

Does anybody have any experience with the Dumborc-X6? I pulled the trigger on getting that one after reading the great reviews...but I might just get the Flysky too and use the dum one for the vintage toys...or just return it. I like the idea of taking less shelf space.

Dumbo is like the equivalent to RadioLink. Their receivers look the same and pretty much the same. The thing I don't like about Dumbo is that it is in the name, the whole thing is kinda dumb. 🤣

Welcome to the forum. Hope you'll enjoy the it like we do. 🏁

Welcome!

Does anybody have any experience with the Dumborc-X6? I pulled the trigger on getting that one after reading the great reviews...but I might just get the Flysky too and use the dum one for the vintage toys...or just return it. I like the idea of taking less shelf space.

I just got one and took it out for the first run yesterday. Works great! Simple to set up and use. The gyro and ability to easily adjust your throttle are nice. It might not be the best for running multiple vehicles; I think the Flysky would be better for that. But if you want to dedicate the Dumbo to a single vehicle, you can't go wrong with this one, as far as budget transmitters go.

check your connections.. a loose servo connector can cause the steering to glitch, here's an example, I simply pushed the connector all the way in and the problem was resolved:

If everything is nice and tight, then inspect the Rx for any scuffed marks on the antenna. All it takes is the slightest scratch on the antenna to ruin a Rx... most drivers in my area have switched to antennaless Rx's to avoid this issue. Many times the damage to the antenna can be internal where you can't even see that the antenna was damaged inside the grommet.

Other things to inspect are loose wires anywhere, re-solder everything and check for loose connectors.

You said you bought this car used (very suspect) and I never buy any used electronics from anyone unless I trust them.

You can also have a worn out servo connector that may need to be replaced. Having a crimping tool and many other tools will be crucial if you plan to stay in the hobby:

check your connections.. a loose servo connector can cause the steering to glitch, here's an example, I simply pushed the connector all the way in and the problem was resolved:

If everything is nice and tight, then inspect the Rx for any scuffed marks on the antenna. All it takes is the slightest scratch on the antenna to ruin a Rx... most drivers in my area have switched to antennaless Rx's to avoid this issue. Many times the damage to the antenna can be internal where you can't even see that the antenna was damaged inside the grommet.

Other things to inspect are loose wires anywhere, re-solder everything and check for loose connectors.

You said you bought this car used (very suspect) and I never buy any used electronics from anyone unless I trust them.

You can also have a worn out servo connector that may need to be replaced. Having a crimping tool and many other tools will be crucial if you plan to stay in the hobby:
I'm thinking it's a transmitter problem. If I barely touch the steering knob, the truck glitches. I shake the controller and it glitches. I turn the controller off and the truck sits very still as it should. Maybe the controller got dropped a few too many times? Anywho...I have two controllers ordered from our retail lord. I'll play with both and keep the best, return the other.

I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome and great advise.

I dont have any experience with it but the DumboRC X6 transmitter does not feature multiple model memory. It offers basic functions such as channel reversing, trim, and dual rate control, but lacks endpoint adjustment beyond the dual rate control as far as I can tell by a quick look at it. Personally I would have opted for a Flysky.

Problem I ran into with the GT3 and the recievers is they all(3) went to glitch-mode and i couldn,t even control the throttles on my savages anymore. the transmitters and recievers didn't even have any use hardly

Sounds like you had a faulty transmitter. I own 2 GT3b's and I've had more of the RXs than I can shake a stick at. A lot of other guys on here use them too without issue. 🤷‍♂️

Back