K&N Style Filter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byron

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
On e-bay I have come across K&N style air filters, and they say they will increase power. They sweet, but I don't know if they work that great? Does anyone know or had any experience with these?

K&N style on RC's are a big ass no no. The filter is not fine enough to collect the small dust particles that sponge filters can. Also, as for performance, it wouldnt make a difference, because if you are getting more air to your engine, you will just have to richen it up, and fix your tune so it wont f'up.

On e-bay I have come across K&N style air filters, and they say they will increase power. They sweet, but I don't know if they work that great? Does anyone know or had any experience with these?

Bryon,

The K&N filter are not designed for the 1/10th and 1/8th scale R/C's we run. The K&N filter uses a paper type material to filter dirt and debris. This spells bad news to our R/C engines as the paper lets very small particles into the engine and in turn destroying your engine.

I've talked to a number of people that have ran the K&N or similar type filters on their R/C and ask them how often they clean their filter. They all say they rarely have to clean the filter and say it as if it's a good thing. A filter is designed to do just that, filter the air going into your engine. If the filter isn't getting dirty that's because it's allowing to much junk to pass through and right into your engine.

Stick with something that was made for your R/C. HPI makes a "high performance" air filter that I've ran on all of my RC's and would highly recommend them. You can pick up the .21 engine size filter from Tower Hobbies for about $15 - HPI air filter.

-Michael

I agree with Woodie and Alpinehyperlite, as a guy who started working for a company called FILTER PRODUCTS. The K&N filter will not filter down to a small enough Micron rating for the Nitro car, like the foam filter will...I even have trouble running a K&N style filter on my sandrail even with the outterwares on my fiter, after a run i will have to pull my jets out and clean them real good and put them back in, cause you get a litte piece of dirt in them

Thanks for the info, I also found a filter called a "Motorsaver" and these look good. Here is a link
http://www.motorsaverfilters.com/savage.htm

Any one know about these?? Also I have seen a pipe that puts the filter closer to the front of the truck, are those any good??

I like the Motor Saver, they are widely used on all types of nitros. You'll have several responses from other members about the quality of these filters. Not sure about the pipe extensions. If you're racing you'll be collecting dust/dirt no matter where you put the filter. But if you're bashing, perhaps having the filter up front would help eliminate the dust/dirt from the front wheels. I personally don't like the extenders, with a Motor Saver filter, you won't need to worry about it.

When i ran nitro, the motorsavers were all i would run.

Thanks for the info, I also found a filter called a "Motorsaver" and these look good. Here is a link
http://www.motorsaverfilters.com/savage.htm

Any one know about these?? Also I have seen a pipe that puts the filter closer to the front of the truck, are those any good??

Bryon,

The motorsaver and HPI high performance filter I linked above are really the same filter. Both you will find are highly recommended and are what I ran.

As for the extension I'd suggest check out our Cold Air Intake article - the article shows you how to use a motorsaver / hpi filter along with a traxxas exhaust tube to move the filter away from the engine.

Enjoy!

-Michael

The Motrsaver filters flow better than the HPI filters. The HPI does a better job of sealing the filter end caps though.
If you choose a motor saver be sure to apply a bit of extra oil to the bottom of the air filter. Dirt will sneek by if you don't.