Ok I’m running into issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remote uncontrol

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Boating
I’ve been working on the seawind I got and I’m curious about the electronics. The spot for the sail control servo is 60 mm long by 30 wide I’m not sure how tall it is. Does it need a servo that big or is there another way to do it. I also don’t have any experience with running two servos without a motor so if anyone can help I’d appreciate it

wait, its a sailboat?!?!?
that's gonna win RoTM 4 sure.
It’s gonna take a bit 😂
A4289A94-06CC-49F7-8A42-DBAE108A85AB.jpeg

Yeah, the one servo is going to be huge. It's trying to move sails against the wind. I did find this. It shows what comes in the RTR version. Scroll down. You can use the the specs to maybe find something comparable. You're also going to need a 4 ch stick remote.

https://kyoshoamerica.com/rcboat/seawind-w-kt-431s-racing-yacht-readyset-rtr-40462st2.html

Here's a video showing how big. And looks like rcgroups.com has a bunch of people that may be more help.

Last edited:
Looking at the manual, it suggests a servo, but it's hard to find it.
Looking at the exploded view, it labels the servo as part 54
Screenshot_20240212_175235.jpg

Looking at the part list it gives you a specific servo model number, which is KS501SW
Screenshot_20240212_175350.jpg

Looking at the servo dimensions, you get
Screenshot_20240212_175757.jpg

So yeah. You're looking for a 5th scale servo with more than 142.4g torque.

Also, the recommended servo used to be the Futaba S S3801. These are the specs for that one
Screenshot_20240212_181341.jpg

I was trying to find the info for the drive gear for that servo, because you will need to make sure you get a servo that will fit that servo horn, since it doesn't appear to come with any adapters. I've never owned a 5th scale servo, so I am not sure if the gears from servo to servo are different. So double check that. The standard size servos always seem to have the wrong teeth count on the drive gear to fit the horns I have. I wish they would standardize that crap.

Last edited:
I’m not having any luck finding those but I found a Hitec that has almost identical specs so I’ll probably go with it unless you guys know something I don’t. I can also get ahold of a spektrum dxs. That’ll work won’t it

I’m not having any luck finding those but I found a Hitec that has almost identical specs so I’ll probably go with it unless you guys know something I don’t. I can also get ahold of a spektrum dxs. That’ll work won’t it
Spektrum - I'd almost bet money they use their own stupid tooth count for the servo gear. Like I said, I have no experience with 5th scale servos though.

I would recommend you count the teeth in that long sail horn so you know what servos will fit it.

Another thing about Spektrum servos, if you call Horizon or Spektrum to ask for info on THEIR OWN SERVOS, they will likely tell you they have no idea.

Ok I have my servos figured out. Thanks for the help

Ok so now I’m running into the issue of wiring all this together. My friend has a spektrum radio system I can get for free so that’s taken care of but I’m drawing a blank on how to hook it all up. Is there some kind of switch that routes the battery power to the receiver or is it something different

Last edited:
The switch turns on the ESC, which in turn feeds power to the other electronics. The motor gets the full battery power while the Rx (receiver) is fed power via a JR (servo) connector via the BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) in the ESC. The BEC steps the voltage down to a level your Rx and servos can handle.

What specific radio did you get?

Oh wait. My previous reply - I wasn't even aware... this kit doesn't even have a motor. Hope you can swim 😅

But you won't be using an ESC. So the power switch will go between the battery pack and receiver.

I'd hook it all up outside the bost and get things all figured out. Post a pic of all the electronics, and I can go through and draw up a diagram for you if you need it.

Meanwhile, if you have sny downtime, I'd read through the manual for the radio. It's a bit of a doosy.

Here's the manual

Attachments

• dx7_manual.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 20
My transmitter isn’t quite as fancy as the one I’m the manual but I’m assuming it’s still the same concept. As far as the batteries is there a reason not to use double A. I’m leaning toward it because that’s what it’s designed for

My transmitter isn’t quite as fancy as the one I’m the manual but I’m assuming it’s still the same concept. As far as the batteries is there a reason not to use double A. I’m leaning toward it because that’s what it’s designed for

Yeah, it's probably set up for that little 4 battery pack like what's used on nitros. They make a rechargeable hump pack that fits in the same space but more reliable power. Like this.

Powerhobby 6V 1600mAh NiMH Receiver Hump Battery Pack Fits : 1/8 1/10 Losi T-Maxx HPI Ofna Mugen Kyosho Associated https://a.co/d/fB1YRuz

Yeah, it's probably set up for that little 4 battery pack like what's used on nitros. They make a rechargeable hump pack that fits in the same space but more reliable power. Like this.

Powerhobby 6V 1600mAh NiMH Receiver Hump Battery Pack Fits : 1/8 1/10 Losi T-Maxx HPI Ofna Mugen Kyosho Associated https://a.co/d/fB1YRuz
So that would charge with an adapter

Back