K&N Air Filters = bad bad bad bad!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could test mine like K&N did. They've claimed that they over oiled a filter and then pulled 1000CFM thru it and used a second filter to catch what might have came off the primary. Apparently this is how API or some standards body tests regular filters, by weighing a second filter, doing the test with both filters, then weighing the second again. If it's weight has increased, the primary has let stuff thru.

K&N claims that they had no oil on the secondary filter.

...but I'm not gonna push it ;-)

I did notice my filter looks a bit rattier than new, so I'm keeping an eye on it and have it's replacement in the cab now.

thats an interesting way of testing them but seems there could be a better way, i dunno i dont really care i run wix in my vehicles or a DRY element AEM or amsoil filter.

if yours is showing wear warranty that bitch out and get it replaced, it is free to you, safer than sorry i say.

Thats a lot of boost, what exactly have you done to the engine?

meh, my 4th gen eclipse GSX (i think 4th gen it was a 98) was making 22lbs on a stock engine with upgraded turbo, exhaust and intercooler. also had injectors to fuel it and was professionally dyno tuned, could of had more but the exhaust side of the turbo was restrictive and was shotting the EGT's sky high.

I'm running around 30lbs of boost, Bone stock. So the 26lbs of squirrel farts from your lil mitsubishi isnt saying too much. Still sounds like a family of racoons stuck in a garbage can.

lol awesome

i think my cummins makes 18-20lbs stock i dunno I'm at 45psi now with a stock turbo just by adding a programmer and some injectors and waaaay out of the turbo efficency range.

the traction comments....uh...awd

the 1.5L comment...againt further proves none of you have any idea of what your where talking about....every evo is 2.0L.. while not much bigger than previously stated....that engine still is one of the most powerful engines for a CAR per cylinder

and yes KN is cotton...

anyways...back to subject...still wouldnt use a k/n on the revo

and all i was trying to say was that earlier there were comments that k/n filters are crap...not true for gas powered CARS

so back to thinking you are all right and post some more videos of 18 wheelers pulling stuff...while i will see all you in my rear view mirror:hehe:

I'm 4x4 ill race you... and win...
I knew the evo was a 2.0, its basically a 4G63 depending on the year you have.
CAN be one of the most powerfull per cylinder, i still think after my side to side comparrison a subi WRX is a better all around car and dominates on handling. but i dont own either just sayin as to further de rail this thread that is becoming awesome.

i drive a DIESEL powered vehicle.

oh and by the way..... you would never get away from me. Far better men than you have tried.

diesel is the shiz. i have a 82 BJ42 Toyota land cruiser that was imported from canada with a factory diesel. :D

and ill bet i could get away from you, far better 6 liters have tried:first_place:

:hehe:

Back to the original topic:

For RC nitro engines, the K&N filters don't provide enough filtering to keep most of the smaller particulates that damage these engines out of the engine. Don't use them when running.

I totally agree with Ham....not for RC vehicles. They are a death sentence.

agreed and agreed again.

you guys are all crazy!!

i put a K&N on my push mower, and it will pop wheelies on command!! and its front wheel drive!! i pimp it up and down the street, and alllll the honeys come and look!! thats just how i roll!

and to the guy saying he can "get away from" alpine.. alpine is about as close to a professional driver as you can get. I'm pretty sure he would have no issue "keeping up" even in a lesser car, and just might put you in the ditch if you piss him off.

so.. we have all agreed.. K&N are OK for 1:1 cars. (i personally rather a dry filter) but no good for RC cars.

now let me blur the line a little more.. what about 5th scale gassers?

and let the argument begin!!

and to the guy saying he can "get away from" alpine.. alpine is about as close to a professional driver as you can get. I'm pretty sure he would have no issue "keeping up" even in a lesser car, and just might put you in the ditch if you piss him off.

HAHA Word. Done it before.

Or Alpine might just give you the old smokeout at the stop light.........

!/5 Scale gassers should be okay to run a K&N filter on because they aren't as finicky as the little nitros. After all, the engines on them are just more hopped up than stock weed eater engines.

who cares anymore? newbs with one month of posting on the site have burned out this thread for me........... ON TO THE NEXT DOUCHE!!!

A lot of the guys over on HBF run paper filters on their sand rail Bajas now due to the new Threshold filter system. They aren't as bad on the 26+ cc engines we run as in the nitros. But! They still turn 20k+ RPM; I wouldn't trust one on mine.

I run a dual element foam filter with an Outerwears pre-filter on my Baja :D

The element itself on the Baja is so huge that it doesn't really matter either way as far as air flow goes. Some just like the looks of one over the other and I run foam for better filtration.

i run the stock foam filter with the TG foam outer.

Found your car princess........
IMG_1942.jpg

oh yea..... my 6.0 pulled it out too.

It just so happens that i was going through my old photobucket and found that pic from a while back. Perfect timing for this newb.

you guys are all crazy!!

i put a K&N on my push mower, and it will pop wheelies on command!! and its front wheel drive!! i pimp it up and down the street, and alllll the honeys come and look!! thats just how i roll!

so.. we have all agreed.. K&N are OK for 1:1 cars. (i personally rather a dry filter) but no good for RC cars.

now let me blur the line a little more.. what about 5th scale gassers?

and let the argument begin!!
:hehe::hehe::hehe:
I'm still better (in a 1:1 vehicle) bring it! could

HAHA Word. Done it before.

as have i;)

Or Alpine might just give you the old smokeout at the stop light.........

!/5 Scale gassers should be okay to run a K&N filter on because they aren't as finicky as the little nitros. After all, the engines on them are just more hopped up than stock weed eater engines.

i have a diesel too, the whole intersection will be pitch black!

and on any engine i dont like K&N, but to each their own.

Found your car princess........
IMG_1942.jpg

oh yea..... my 6.0 pulled it out too.

that picture is awesome, i literally LOL'd at it.

You have a dodge i love dodge!! people have no idea how much friggin torque these things can put out. With very minor tuning you can gain lots of power in no time!!!!

lol just sayin thats what i hear everyone say............ Basically not my words

i guess if you can keep them running.......

You have a dodge i love dodge!! people have no idea how much friggin torque these things can put out. With very minor tuning you can gain lots of power in no time!!!!

yea i got it cause of the engine really, needed something to pull my crawler with.

i make over 430hp and 750ft/lbs tq with just an exhaust programmer and some VERY mild injectors which is double stock at the flywheel and I'm making that at the wheels. a local guy here has like 04 or 05 i think with a 24v common rail making 800hp and 2,000 ft/lbs or tq at the rear wheels with 35's on there with the N2O:whhooo:. and his is a daily driver just like mine. oh mine is an 01 24v with stock vp44 injection pump.

they are simply breather filters that someone saw, found the right diameter needed, and put on a RC.

On the other hand - not being made for an R/C doesn't mean they can't be used.

In general - K&N tends to have pretty piss poor FILTERING ability - even in the full sized cars.. in many a shootout test - K&N scores the lowest marks on filtering (letting the most/largest particles through)

with that said - go to a car parts store and find a good foam or dual element breather filter, and call it a day. This isn't rocket science - 2 stroke engines don't have any magical properties that make them require "different" filtering.. I agree that the K&N's that are flooding ebay aren't appropriate for an RC nitro car - but not because of the concept.. merely because K&N's suck when it comes to filtering, in general.

Here's what I run on mine.. a cheap specter dual element breather filter, and a piece of low density filter foam stuffed inside to fill the hollow.

When i clean it - the only times I've found that inner filter that i put in dirty, was when i flipped the truck head-down into a mud puddle. Lucky i didn't hydrolock.

All other times- that inner filter has been clean, so i'm confident no particulate matter was getting into the engine... and i'm ALWAYS in sandy/dirty areas bashing...

So long story short: using a breather filter from a 1:1 car is absolutely a good idea in concept. Using a K&N for anything is a bad idea, based on my opinions which are based on years of using them in various capacities (cars, lawnmowers, etc) - believing the hype until i would break the airboxes down to find a ton of crud that has gotten past the filter in all cases.

Hey Woodie, do you know anything about cars or K & N filters besides what you read from other people that have NO IDEA. First of all K & N filters in an automotive application only needs to be clean every 30,000 miles or so and a car engine sucks a hell of a lot more air than a little RC engine. So if someone says that the filter isn't dirty, all that means is that the dirty is not visible.

You see when dirt gets sucked into a K & N filter it does not sit on the outter surface, it gets caught in the inner layer and the oil in the filter darkens the dirt so it really can't be seen. If these K & N filters just let the dirt through you one would buy them because they would destroy the engine, and K & N would be out of business because of the warranty they give.

I have used K & N filters for over 20 years and the throttle body never has any sign of dirt, and I check by wiping with a white paper towel soaked with carb cleaner.

So don't get down on something just because you like it doesn't work, just don't use it and leave the rest of us that know what we are doing alone, besides it has been proven by a number of independent labs that K & N filters do as good or better than the paper or foam filters. In fact the holes in a foam filter are 2 to 3 times bigger than that found in a K & N filter.

Just because they says they don't make RC filters( they are talking application specific) It doen't mean it will not work, in fact I have one on my Savage X, I take my engine apart after one gallon of fuel and if there was any dirt that pasted the filter it would be in the crankcase and there just isn't any.

---------- Post added at 4:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:09 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
Back