K&N Air Filters = bad bad bad bad!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again I say: 270,000+ (280,000 in a week or so) miles, '94 Dodge, K&N from day 1.

I don't use compressed air to dry my filter, I follow the directions. It gets cleaned every 25,000.

My van and my Spitfire, same deal, just not from day 1 since I didn't own them from day 1.

I got better mileage on the van as soon as I changed.

I don't know what to tell you on why you have problems, except that I followed the directions. Maybe these ones that fall apart didn't?

Doesn't matter to me, I'm happy.

you are a lucky one is all i can tell you if it has not started to deteriorate yet.

and really a turbo vehicle shouldnt have a filter that is an oiled filter due to the amount of ar they can pull cause even if the filter is not over oiled like most do it will still pull a mist of oil out of it and into the turbo and intercooler.

none the less, glad you have had good luck, but like i say you will never find one on anything i own that is used to filter the air for the engine.

you are a lucky one is all i can tell you if it has not started to deteriorate yet.

and really a turbo vehicle shouldnt have a filter that is an oiled filter due to the amount of ar they can pull cause even if the filter is not over oiled like most do it will still pull a mist of oil out of it and into the turbo and intercooler.

none the less, glad you have had good luck, but like i say you will never find one on anything i own that is used to filter the air for the engine.

I wish I could test mine like K&N did. They've claimed that they over oiled a filter and then pulled 1000CFM thru it and used a second filter to catch what might have came off the primary. Apparently this is how API or some standards body tests regular filters, by weighing a second filter, doing the test with both filters, then weighing the second again. If it's weight has increased, the primary has let stuff thru.

K&N claims that they had no oil on the secondary filter.

...but I'm not gonna push it ;-)

I did notice my filter looks a bit rattier than new, so I'm keeping an eye on it and have it's replacement in the cab now.

This whole thread is funny.....

Dont care for the R/C application, which is what this thread SHOULD be about but everyone keeps talking about cars.....

Have had my evo since 03', same filter (might not be a K/N name brand, but it is a paper cone filter that is oiled...looks just like K/N).

Whoever said these filters are crap is COMPLETELY 100% wrong. Every EVO and STI or any turbo car I know of and have seen all have some variation of a paper element cone filter, just like K/N. In fact...HKS is one of the companies that makes a foam filter and they are GARBAGE...cause lean conditions and misfires....

Again, i have had the same air element on my car since I have practically owned it...i have 100K plus miles on it, running 26psi of boost on 93octance, and putting 420awhp on a dyno dynopack

so with that said about cars and NOT R/C cars....I will still stick with my motor saver for my revo

have fun:hehe:

the newb's got a lil feist to him. haha. You go ahead run that cute lil 1.5l motor. it dont draw THAT much air. Jump up to a 6.0 turbo and NOW your sucking some serious air, and a much greater potential for failure

well, majority of the evo's come with a 1.5l 4cyl. you didnt specify anything about your personal one you retarded little monkey. and to see 1000hp out of a 6.0 turbo diesel really isnt that big of a deal. hell i can gain almost 200hp at the wheels with just an engine tune. Now you can sit here all day and try to look like big macho e-thug, then you go right ahead and jump in your little speed bump and go cruising down the street sounding like a fat chick on chilli-cheese-fry night. Its all you.
Like i tell anyone else out there that think's their "horsepower" means poop, Lets tie our axles together, and see what happens. Princess.

And before you try and take this anywhere else, just realize, all i was talking about in my previous post was engine and air/fuel consumption. Fact, 6.0t motors suck more air through the filters than any motor in an evolution.

True that, a 6.0 does suck more air.

As far as the whole "tie the axles together" thing, the only reason that diesel truck would just purely drag that evo all over is because it weighs 3 times as much. :)

K&N's are cotton, not paper, btw.

yp. shes my big beast. i just get tired of ignorence. that was my main point, bout the volume o air and he goes off bout his rice-burner's horsepower. who cares?

I remember pulling up next to some slammed mini-pickup that had a sticker in the window proclaiming "Real Trucks don't have Back Seats."

I, in my semi, beeped the city horn and said "But they DO have a Sleeper and at least 10 tires, and think of YOUR pickup as...FREIGHT"

I was a in a car-hauler :D

All the HP in the world does no good without the weight to hold the wheels to the ground, traction.

Wow, even further off topic :D

I'm running around 30lbs of boost, Bone stock. So the 26lbs of squirrel farts from your lil mitsubishi isnt saying too much. Still sounds like a family of racoons stuck in a garbage can. When your "Evo" can pull a house off of its foundation, then you can call me out on power. I have always said, i will never drive a car made by a company who makes TV's and Speakers as well.

One better, when your "sweet ride" can do this:

then the next day do this:

and on the way home do this:

Then you can talk all the poop you want. Until then piss off. Your an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
. So the 26lbs of squirrel farts from your lil mitsubishi isnt saying too much. Still sounds like a family of racoons stuck in a garbage can.

Then you can talk all the poop you want. Until then piss off. Your an idiot.

i think we have a winner here........

wow....you guys have a lot to learn

yes your 6.0 flow more air

the traction comments....uh...awd

the 1.5L comment...againt further proves none of you have any idea of what your where talking about....every evo is 2.0L.. while not much bigger than previously stated....that engine still is one of the most powerful engines for a CAR per cylinder

and yes KN is cotton...

anyways...back to subject...still wouldnt use a k/n on the revo

and all i was trying to say was that earlier there were comments that k/n filters are crap...not true for gas powered CARS

so back to thinking you are all right and post some more videos of 18 wheelers pulling stuff...while i will see all you in my rear view mirror:hehe:

18 wheelers? god you are retarded........ and i dont drive a GAS powered vehicle, i drive a DIESEL powered vehicle. Which i can promise is MUCH nicer than the crap-pile you drive. Everyone on here has seen my stuff, they know my rides nice. We are bound to see yours.

oh and by the way..... you would never get away from me. Far better men than you have tried.

a futher more....i was not trying to be degrading to anyone here

i was simply stating my experience with that type of filter...nothing more...the only reason why i went into the whole EVO thing was because someone here had previously started talking about their experience with their cars

yes it was off topic...but this thread was going in that direction way before i chimed in

to each his own...

enjoy :)

Whoever said these filters are crap is COMPLETELY 100% wrong. Every EVO and STI or any turbo car I know of and have seen all have some variation of a paper element cone filter, just like K/N.

where i called you out.

fair enough....again i was just talking about my experience with my car and similar cars...thats it

i dont have experience with your vehicles....

Back to the original topic:

For RC nitro engines, the K&N filters don't provide enough filtering to keep most of the smaller particulates that damage these engines out of the engine. Don't use them when running.

I totally agree with Ham....not for RC vehicles. They are a death sentence.

Back