I'm having a problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i tried. I just don't think r/c is for me anymore.

If you hydrolocked it, its too rich. Remove the plug, start it to blow out the fuel. Re-install the plug and keep trying. Keep leaning the engine, especially the high speed needle. If it won't idle, increase the idle screw. You need to just keep examining the problems, and tuning accordingly. You have to do it non stop though. If you get pissed, and throw it in the garage for a couple hours, and come back later, you are screwed. The weather has probably changed, and now you need to re-tune for a different setting.

There isn't going to be a magic setting that just works. You will have to tune the engine every day you drive it (or several times a day). Eventually, once you actually get it running right once, each time after that gets easier and easier..

Here is a video clip of pro drivers that I think has sound (can't tell here at work, no speakers). Listen to the cars, chances are if you are hydrolocking your engine, it will sound low pitched compared to this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-J-S7PVGLo"]YouTube - 2006 ROAR Buggy Nats Qualifier[/ame]

I have to take the truck apart to fix the pullstart. So I'm pretty sure it's not getting tuned today. I'm trying my best to be patient but this could piss of a saint. If i can get the pullstart to work easier than ill give it a try again,but this is just a nightmare to try and figure out,It's one thing after another.

If you are new to tuning, I would highly suggest getting a sealed backplate for your motor (or at least throwing away the pullstart internals, and siliconing it shut) and going with a starter box.

Yeah, its another 100 between a good box (such as OFNA #10253 w/ power panel) but you can run your glow ignitor off of the big 12 volt battery with the power panel, so your ignitor won't constantly be dying. That, and its hard enough to learn to tune, no need add fighting pullstart strings breaking and one way bearing nightmares to the mix.

kx250ryder said:
If you are new to tuning, I would highly suggest getting a sealed backplate for your motor (or at least throwing away the pullstart internals, and siliconing it shut) and going with a starter box.

Yeah, its another 100 between a good box (such as OFNA #10253 w/ power panel) but you can run your glow ignitor off of the big 12 volt battery with the power panel, so your ignitor won't constantly be dying. That, and its hard enough to learn to tune, no need add fighting pullstart strings breaking and one way bearing nightmares to the mix.

Ummmmmmm, Savage can't use a bumpbox. It'd be nice if it could, tho.

Sorry, my mistake, buggies are all I know. I can't imagine having a pullstart. I would have quit this hobby a long time ago with how much patience I have.

EDIT: What about rotostarts in a MT? I hate them, but definitely a step up from yank-cord frustrations I would think.

I'm not new to tuning,I'm just very rusty lol. It's been awhile since I've ran a nitro and I'm brushin up on my skill's.

Rotostart's are hard on the owb but it would seem easier. I'm gonna have to see if somebody make's a roto backplate for the wasp.28. If they do I'm buying one.

Got Nitro? said:
I'm not new to tuning,I'm just very rusty lol. It's been awhile since I've ran a nitro and I'm brushin up on my skill's.

Rotostart's are hard on the owb but it would seem easier. I'm gonna have to see if somebody make's a roto backplate for the wasp.28. If they do I'm buying one.

The one you got with the truck should bolt right up. If you don't have it anymore, the stock HPI one will work. Just to let you know, that IS an HPI owb in it.

I traded the roto and backplate when i got rid of my xtm. I figured it wouldn't work on the wasp.I guess ill have to buy a new one.

Tomorrow,I'm going to be smart about this. I'm gonna relax,Get the feel and hearing for the tunning,And I'm going to be patient and understanding. So hopefully if i can withstand the tunning then ill be ready to go. Ill let you guy's know. For now though,I'm gonna start working on my dad's xxx-nt for a .18 drop in,Should be killer in the sand/dirt.

You need to get rid of that Wasp engine, man. I know it's not what you want to hear, and probably have nothing to replace it with, but you can see how crazy it is making you.

I have not heard anyone ever say that the Wasp is a joy to tune and holds it well!

Good luck, but before you decide to throw the towel in on the hobby because of that engine, see about getting an alternate mill.

One bit of advice with the rotostart. You've already experienced how easily the Wasp hydrolocks. You have to be EXTREMELY careful using the rotostart because it will hydrolock easily and shitcan the OWB in a snap.

Good luck, my man!

Monkey Wrench said:
You need to get rid of that Wasp engine, man. I know it's not what you want to hear, and probably have nothing to replace it with, but you can see how crazy it is making you.

I have not heard anyone ever say that the Wasp is a joy to tune and holds it well!

Good luck, but before you decide to throw the towel in on the hobby because of that engine, see about getting an alternate mill.

One bit of advice with the rotostart. You've already experienced how easily the Wasp hydrolocks. You have to be EXTREMELY careful using the rotostart because it will hydrolock easily and shitcan the OWB in a snap.

Good luck, my man!

I'm really not wanting to get rid of the wasp. lol as crazy as that may sound. Learning to tune this engine may be a stepping point in sharpening my tuning skill's,Come hell or high water ima get this engine screamin right.

Well i don't have the roto start anymore,I traded it to heartbreak since he needed it worse than I. I'm sure hyrdolocking would be too easy with the roto anyways

Well good luck, man! I really hope you get that thing dialed-in! I may just drop mine back in and see if I can suffer through it as well!

I ended up going back to the pull-start with mine because I was tired of dropping cash on OWB's.

My pullstart took a dump on me. So it's shelved till further budget and patience growth.

I took my pullstart apart,very carefully,and relised,there's no recoil spring. So I'm on a hunt for a spring. or a new pullstart.

Last edited:
I don't see how it can be missing a recoil spring, unless it popped out and you didn't notice.

That's the wierd part,When i took the pullstarter off,i was very carefull watching every move,And there was nothing in it beside's the recoil rope. So I'm not real sure, Busted i pm'ed ya back though. lmk asap friday I'm leaving at 6 in the morning for the dune's.

When you pulled the pullstart apart (try sayin that 10 times fast!), did it look somethin like this?

ps-exploded.jpg

Note the coil between the rope-spool and the casing. That should be in the pullstarter.

HeartBreak said:
When you pulled the pullstart apart (try sayin that 10 times fast!), did it look somethin like this?

ps-exploded.jpg

Note the coil between the rope-spool and the casing. That should be in the pullstarter.

It looked like that,minus the spring,lol

Back