How to keep the heat down on 2.5????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THUNDER

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought the new t-max with the 2.5 in it last week. The engine runs fine, I am just worried about the heat. It is running at approx 311 degrees. I have a temp guage and turn it off as soon as I notice that it is running hot. Are there any suggestions on how to keep the engine running cooler? I am using the traaxas fuel 10%.
Should I install a small fan in front of my engine to help cool it down?
Any tricks, or suggestions would be greatly helpful.
Thanks alot.

Does the engine emitt enough trailing smoke when you hit the throttle? You might run the engine to lean. I can't see any other reason than running lean.

You're running lean. Richen up the engine a little bit otherwise you're gonna fry the piston. A good temp to shoot for is around the 240 F. That'll be acheived by richening the mixture.

you may want to increase the nitro content to 20%. it will help. as the prior posts, richen it up.

ya i would go with the traxxas 20% rather than the 10%.

bryan

Right now the engine is putting out bluish smoke, if I richen it any more the truck takes forever to shift into second gear, about 200 feet or so. Are there any tricks in tuning the engine for performance after break in besides the ones in the manual?
On another subject are there any bumpers that will go the entire width of the car, so as to shield the wheels. I just broke the a- arms on the front right side, so I am out of commission for right now.
Thanks for all your advice guys.

i am pretty sure that there isnt any bumpers that go the whole way across. you could more than likley make some but i dont think that anybody sells them.

bryan

Thunder-
I would recommend that you do a search on the 2.5 running hot either here or at the traxxas boards. These engines, while capable of putting out great power, have the tendency to run hot. Lots of guys have had trouble with temps reaching upwards of 300-310 and above. The problem they have, is if they richen the HSN, the truck runs like crap.

I have never had this engine, so I can't be more of a help to you specifically, but you should be able to find the info you need, I know that with these engines there are more variables then just richen the HSN.

You will want the engine to produce a thin trail of smoke. I'd replace the 10% with 20% nitro content. The lesser the nitro content the leaner you will have to tune. You could also have an air leak, most commonly around the base of the carb. Check to see if it's tight, if not snug it down a little but do not overtighten. You can also seal it with high temp silicone using only a very small amount.

I would replace the a arms with a good aftermaket set. Or that will not be the last broken one. Try RPM or Proline they are some of the best. I own both and have yet to brake one.

You could think about a new cooling head or exaust, a monster head will keep your engine on average 50 to 60 degrees cooler and costs about $55.00.:hi: