How cold is too cold for nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srusinek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm not new to the hobby but been around since the late nineties and been involved with nitro since 2001. I don't run my nitros unless it's fifty degrees out and also feels atleast that warm. Since i live in the northeast that gives me some downtime of about 9 months. LOL. I'm usually down from somepoint in november to early april. I heard awhile back that if it's not warm enough out the fuel won't combust properly. Just wondering what the community thinks.

Run it! I don't care what time of year it is, richen up that fuel mixture, slap a hot glow plug in it, and run the balls off of it.

If you can stand the cold - you can run the truck. My cut off is usually around 20F but have been out in the 12-15F area because the ice was too tempting :D

You do need to tune it a bit different and should wrap the head to help it stay warm.

I read somewhere that wrapping the engine using tin foil helps maintain the temp. Yesterday I was out bashing my savage x with some snow falling, about 30-34 degrees Fahrenheit in anchorage alaska. I used up 3 fuel tanks about 30 mins worth of nitro before I called it a day. The temp might have gone lower as I could no longer feel my fingers hehehe. After driving I was so happy to see my savage all cleaned up. The snow cleaned it real nice for me. The tires looked brand new! I had difficulty tuning it to be lean a bit since I was trying to look for the smoke on the exhaust. But the white snow made it difficult to see the smoke so I just relied on the engine rev. As long as it runs great, quick, smooth acceleration, then I should be okay. Driving hard on snow gives a nice effect. Awesome skids. Plus I don't have to worry too much about breaking parts after a roll, since the snow kinda buffers the crash. Can I take a old sock and wrap it on the cooling head to keep it warm? With the crazy temp we have in alaska I don't think I will risk over heating it. Or maybe it will.
We just need to take care of the electronics not to get wet. I don't plan on driving my savage on wet snow anyways. Like racer said, if you can stand the cold and still feel your fingers, you can run your truck.

Running in the cold wears engines out faster. This becomes evident when the weather warms back up. But since it's cold most of the time in Alaska, you don't have much choice.:)

Running in the cold wears engines out faster. This becomes evident when the weather warms back up. But since it's cold most of the time in Alaska, you don't have much choice.:)

This is only true if the engine is being run hard below operating temp. As long as you have your motor wrapped up so that it reaches operating temp then you're golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, tin foil or an old sock cut down will make a nice "head warmer"...

Or perhaps you can get your mom or girlfriend to knit you a custom one! :D

Mark

Cold is no different than any other time,you have to be tuned for it. Too lean can still overheat and kill your engine and too cold will cause more wear and possibly kill it too.

This is only true if the engine is being run hard below operating temp. As long as you have your motor wrapped up so that it reaches operating temp then you're golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna stick with my own experience, as well as others that have slightly more than a year of experience under their belt. I'd have a hard time telling somebody that running in the cold is fine, all the while knowing there is the abnormal risk of damaging the engine.

I'm gonna stick with what everyone else agrees with, that operating during cold weather is no different than any other time of year as long as the motor is at proper temperature. Kthxbye.

Last edited:
Matt is partially right. You can do whatever you want, but at full throttle that thing is sucking in alot of cold air, which means you will have fluctuating temps. I've had engines running around the yard, doing donuts, short bursts etc at 220-250 just fine on a 25 degree day. As soon as they hit the road and come back they're down to 160 170-ish, with the head wrapped. I say just take the extreme fluctuating temps into consideration, that's all. You most likely won't want a hot plug either, save those for warm days/low nitro fuel.

I'm with these guys. I don't run my "good" engines in the winter, only the ones I don't care about. Then they become my designated winter engines. I usually only run one rig in the winter anyway.

Last year was my savage with an XTM24.7 in it that is a dog compared to the LRP28S3 I usually run in it. This year, I'll run my revo as it's easier to adjust the shift point and really, I like the stupid thing more for general running.

Not sure what engine I'll run in it though as the XTM's OWB from last winter slips really bad and since it's internal, I can't just drill a hole in the housing and spray it with WD to get it to grab like I did with my old OS21RG... I do have that in a drawer somewhere... may be time to break that old bird out and get it dialed in before the temps drop.

Anyway, I'm an advocate for winter running down to about 20F, lower than that and it's just too uncomfortable for me and makes the plastic even more brittle. I'd just suggest making sure to have a summer engine for when spring returns.

Anyway, I'm an advocate for winter running down to about 20F, lower than that and it's just too uncomfortable for me and makes the plastic even more brittle. I'd just suggest making sure to have a summer engine for when spring returns.

I envy you and others who can pick their engine when weather changes. I only have one nitro truck, my next truck would be electric(not sure when but it will definitely be brushless electric) I would prefer to have a .21 to swap with the .28 engine that came with the savage x(if it will fit). In my opinion I don't need that much power for bashing.
So I too will just not go out with temps below 20. It's just too crazy cold. I don't wear gloves when I go bashing. I don't get a good feel of the throttle and steering controls. Plus I suspect that the cold was the culprit why my steering servo gear broke. That made me buy a metal servo gear. :D

Okay gents, time to brush off the snow on this old thread, my question is do proper engine temps during the summer need to stay consistent through the winter? Also, if I dont have a temp gun or guage, how do I determine a proper run temp when its 25F outside?

Thanks

PS- I forgot what a proper temp area is appropriate for nitro, been in electrics for awhile...

I have heard 200- 250 is good and some have said 270 but all my 3.3's run between 210 and 245. I did have a problem with a couple engines in the past not get up to temp but those 2 proved to be messed up cause they are the only 2 engines that are in peices for now....
and a temp gauge is only like 20 bucks or so.. I use the duratrax gauge and I havent had a problem yet.. I also have a 2nd gauge to double check if I think a battery is dying.

Hope this helps even alittle bit.

Indeed it does thanks Matt, any technique to get a ballpark figure on temps minus the gun until I pick one up?

The most important thing is to make sure the engine stays at least 180 degrees....especially if it's new or still a bit tight. That's why I wrap the head, because you ain't gonna hit those temps on a cold day unless you lean it out. We all know what happens to a leaned out engine. On cold days I've had to go as much as 1.5 extra turns out with the hsn.

When I can't find my gauge I always make sure there is a good trail of smoke coming out of the exhaust. with my jato I set the needles to factory settings and leaned out very little at a time to get it to perform. but without the temp gauge its hard to get it tuned to get the most power and speed, but with it being a little rich you might fowl a few pugs, use alittle more fuel quicker (not alot) enough to notice after you get used to how long each tank gives you.. I get about 25-30 minutes out of a tank on my jato. When I leaned mine out without a guage as soon as I got it to shift somedays I would leave it alone after that.. but honestly a gauge is worth grabbing just to always make sure she aint too hot or too cold... good luck...

I am trying to figure out a way to turn my jato brushless to try it out... I was thinking it would take more of a beaten than the rusty because instead of the motor being on the very rear of the vehicle (on the rusty) in the jato the motor will be hidden so I wont have to worry about smashing up a brushless motor.. If I am successfull with this idea I will let you know which way I like it better and pros and cons..... badlands are a pretty good tire I run them on my classic maxx that I dropped a 3.3 in, and turned it 2wd, and dropped to the ground.... sick truck!!!!

Put a glob of spit on the head. If it flashes off in under 2 seconds its hot. 4-5, it's too cold.

How can running in cold weather shorten the engine life anymore than running in really hot weather? I say if you yourself can stand the outside conditions than you're nitro truck can too. Just tune it accordingly and let her rip! These things are a blast in the snow!