It's that time of year again...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3_Stroke_Motor

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Here in VA where I live (in a county bordering Roanoke) it gets a wee bit nippy here, and due to my nitro only addiction, I have not run or seen anyone from the hobby around here since late november when we are almost always too cold to run nitro. Its been two months since I've logged on here! My JATO and Savage sit peacefully in my gun closet, winterized and tireless only to be fired up again on the first warm day in spring. What do you Nitro only buffs do in the winter to stay in the hobby? It's a very depressing time for me, I've almost forgotten what nitro smells like (ok, I may be exaggerating a tad :) ). I've been flying my Cousair occasionally when its just warm enough to get outside and fly without gloves and a drippy nose hunched over my transmitter, and piss my cats and roommates off with my mini traxxas quad copter indoors. Whats every one else doing at this dead time of year for nitro bashers and racers?

Even though I do nitros and electrics I dont do it much in the winter. Plastic is more brittle, I'm a giant wuss when it comes to being out in the cold, you know that kind of thing lol. I mostly do projects like turbo charging the soap dispenser in the bathroom. I tore it apart and soldered a 5th cell in series with the 4 AAA battery holder that comes in it. Then I made a plug in the back where I can hook the whole thing up to one of my lipo chargers on a NiMH setting and recharge all 5 cells without having to remove them. Granted the motor will probably burn out in 6 months but at least a decent amount of liquid soap comes out of it now lmao. I'll have to make a video and show you guys. its kinda funny. Anyway....I find random projects that I can do either RC related or not.

I run my Baja 5b and my electrics.

I just finished putting my 1/5 truck back together. I took apart 2 engines and going to send the cylinders and pistons to my engine doctor for a pinch. I need to clean one of my Ofna buggys and order a new wing for it. And I've been on ebay looking at 1/24 scale slot cars because I just got a day job that will allow me to return to slot car racing. (I am presently a swing shift worker). And I spend most of my time playing and studying chess. I just got done (yesterday) cleaning my Remington 28 gauge and I have a bunch more to do. If we get a little snow, I'll get out my Kyosho Nitro Blizzard and I don't care how cold it is. If I fry my engine, I have another one right here in a box. I have a little helicopter that I can get out if I want (but it scares the fool out of my bird!) and if I get real bored, I'll get out my guitar (that I've been playing for 40 yrs) and play some AC/DC or Ted Nugent or something like that and make my wife crazy! I have a Mugen MTX 4 that I could put together. I have plenty to do, just not enough time to do everything.

Here in VA where I live (in a county bordering Roanoke) it gets a wee bit nippy here, and due to my nitro only addiction, I have not run or seen anyone from the hobby around here since late november when we are almost always too cold to run nitro. Its been two months since I've logged on here! My JATO and Savage sit peacefully in my gun closet, winterized and tireless only to be fired up again on the first warm day in spring. What do you Nitro only buffs do in the winter to stay in the hobby? It's a very depressing time for me, I've almost forgotten what nitro smells like (ok, I may be exaggerating a tad :) ). I've been flying my Cousair occasionally when its just warm enough to get outside and fly without gloves and a drippy nose hunched over my transmitter, and piss my cats and roommates off with my mini traxxas quad copter indoors. Whats every one else doing at this dead time of year for nitro bashers and racers?

I am in Eastern PA Yesterday 1/23 @ 5am it was 7 deg's outside & the daytime temp with bright sun was a HI of 27 deg's & for the much a normal Winter day in PA for January - Febuary PA avarages anywhere 29 - 40 Deg's....

What I do is visit RCNT about twice a day sometimes three I enjoy reading post's from fellow RCNT members over my morning coffee.. Visit alot of RC web sights Proline / Traxxas / Maxiamps ECT... see what new or coming out in the Springtime.. I go over all 5 of my Rig's (3) nitro (2) Electric & get a parts list going & around End of March I put in a big order to Towerhobbies.com & get pretty much what i need for the spring & summer months Nitro Fuel / Glow plugs / Tires / Part's.... I will run my electric Rig's if the daytime Temps are between 39-45 " We get some days in PA where the temps will go into the low 40's to mid 40's.... 3 days up until christmas it was 45-49 deg's respectfully & I was out with my bashing buddy on all three of thouse day's... I pretty much put my Nitro Rig's in winterize mode after thanksgiving & switch to running my Electric Rig's....

I hear ya Grave i am about 30-45 minutes away from you. Its 8 degrees now.
Have you been to the track they put in the mall and if so what do you think.I have not been doing awhole lot cuz i have been off work since nov 1st since i had surgery on my elbow. i still have no feeling in 2 of my fingers and half my hand and now my other fingers are going numb also so its a waiting game till feb 20th to see the doctor and maybe surgery on my shoulder to fix the nerve damage

I would say work on other projects that been neglected or forgotten and pray for warm weather

I usually tear all my rigs down and go thru them and replace parts that need replacing, hoping to build 2 new kits this winter and have them ready for race season, We have been playing alor of airsoft the past few weeks,that helps me pass the time.

i fly my helicopter over Rolex's Savage and take pictures to make it look like it's actually moving !

I hear ya Grave i am about 30-45 minutes away from you. Its 8 degrees now.
Have you been to the track they put in the mall and if so what do you think.I have not been doing awhole lot cuz i have been off work since nov 1st since i had surgery on my elbow. i still have no feeling in 2 of my fingers and half my hand and now my other fingers are going numb also so its a waiting game till feb 20th to see the doctor and maybe surgery on my shoulder to fix the nerve damage

I would say work on other projects that been neglected or forgotten and pray for warm weather

If You are asking about Hobbytown USA's Whitehall PA indoor Track in the Mall See a PM I sent to you.... Did not want to post hear does not fit into this Thread.....

I'm in western PA, and it's COLD. Pretty sure I'm gonna lose my mind, woke up to about 3-4 inches of that white crap again this morning. I cleaned my bench off yesterday. Was pretty cluttered from not spending time on my buggies.
I have a shocks that needs rebuilt on my Mega Baja, a engine that needs put in the REVO, an axle shaft for the Summit...the list goes on, I heard its supposed to be around 50* next week. Hopefully old man winter is gonna take a long trip away from me.

For me winter time is time to get away from the hobby and play video games. Between seasons end and roughly end of January is when I make the list of parts needing replacement and tasks to do. So this year I'm pulling out the rear diff. on my baja and servicing it, draining and filling the shocks on the baja, restoring my daughters savage I got her from an auction, installing the sway bar kit I have for my xl, and if the money is there I'll be dropping an os .18 into my rc10gt.

Good time to clean and repair your rigs, also my xbox 360 see's a crap ton of use. I always make sure i ahve a couple projects put back for winter, I just finished putting together a new savage ss kit. hope to get started on my Rs 4 project next.

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

I dont know about playing Video games, I've got a PS3 but all I use it for is netflix. Every time I try to play video games I get bored in 10 minutes, lol! I've got a radiator leak in my jeep, and I'm looking at putting in a few inches worth of lift. And oh, Its going to snow here tomorrow! I'm going 4 wheeling!

---------- Post added at 9:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:18 PM ----------

I sure do appreciate it. It blows the dust off. :hehe:

Rolex, is your savage like the old mustang some of our dads had sitting in their back yards and meant to restore it, but never get around to it? ;) So instead you push it around making vroom sounds? lol

Not too much of anything to do when the high temp of the day barley hits 0 degrees!

More snow?! Come on! Warm up already... Twiddle twiddle twiddle my thumbs! Maybe I'll just take the jeep out for a while. BORED

i am in the middle of dusting off my kyosho fazer to take it out, I'm a newby so stupid question coming up...here in england tomorrow will be around 8 degrees, would my car run any different to in the summer? not that it gets much warmer here!

Rolex, is your savage like the old mustang some of our dads had sitting in their back yards and meant to restore it, but never get around to it? ;) So instead you push it around making vroom sounds? lol[/QUOTE]

His savge is something like that, only it's never seen the other side of his interior walls . :hehe:

Back