Good starter box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy100

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guyz, well i got the xterminator deluxe and i love it so far. But now i am ready for a starter box since i race. Whats a good ofna starter box to run for the buggy class??? I plan on getting a decent starter box because in a few months i will be moving onto a jammin buggy.

I dont know which buggy ofna starter box is better, seems like the blue one.

Is a power panel really that nice, i am not sure if i need one.

Let out what ever u got to say and comment about, thanx

The blue with chrome top is nice. I bought a power panel with my 1/10 box. Waste of money since I never use it. I carry a glow ignitor out of habit so I never used the power panel since day one.

Save yourself a few bucks.

chrome top OFNA....only box that might start a new V-spec or P5.....if you don't have one....GET ONE

stormer hobbies. ofna #10248/9, stormer sells very cheap. '9 comes w/power panel and onboard glow wire.

enjoy

-Ult

i got 2 starter boxs i use the dynamite Torque-Start for my GT and i also use a ofna chrome top for my sut and it has 2 traxxas titans in it it kicks over my novarossi good..

I've got a OFNA hyper starter box, modified with a heavy duty motorcycle battery (dry cell I think). It has the torque to start a f**kin siezed engine. Since it has a beast of a battery, I almost never have to charge it, and when I do, I can use a regular car battery charger, so my peak charger is free to use for other stuff, like glitch packs. Wears through starter wheels really fast though.

I got an OFNA starter box with my PCR RTR. Worthless.

Now I use an RD Logics 1/8th scale buggy starter box that cost me the same as the OFNA "Chrome" box, but it uses one, huge motor to power it. Trust me, this thing cranks, I used it to break in my V-Spec motor.(V-Spec is a REAL tight motor) The box weighs probably 1/3 more than the twin motor OFNA boxes, but it shreds in terms of power.

my ofna is a single motor. dont have a dual. more stuff to break in my eyes.

-Ult

Last edited:
yeah, revo the chrome top box is the poop...single gigantor honkin motor.......the other boxes are crap compared to that one...well if you want to turn over a mean engine anyway...they all work well for .15s and lower......

My ofna is a single motor. no belts, just the high torque starter. Box is narrow enough to start touring cars but strong enough to start 1/8 cars. My other one is the Dynamite High Torque starter box. Same motor as the ofna. Both are great and start everything, even those brand new bigblock engines.

OK so, can i get a number for which ofna box to get. Cuz they have 2 chrome top boxes.
Say the number of one of these starter boxes that you recommend, and what ever one i get the most feedback on, i will purchase.

#1: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD8&P=7
(This one has chrome top, smaller version, has 2 550 motors, and is black)

#2: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCUC2&P=7
(Is blue with chrome top, has 1 high toque motors, little bigger)

Thanx guyz, can't wait, i am not a real large fan of starting up a buggy before a race with a pullstart!!!

#2 is the one to get. No belts to slip and it's a direct hookup to the motor. More torque.

get the single motor ofna or rd logics - i have the rd logics now and it rocks (looks the same as my old single ofna i had 2 years ago)

Yes The 2nd One Is The Bomb, It Turned Over My Car Easy!!!

i think mine is a 2 motor now that i look at it again. worx great. if u dont want 10248/9, then get the single 750 motor 10247. cheaper at stormer hobby and on shipping too.

good luck

-Ult

My Chrome top blue bottom would not turn over me v-spec. I had to get another one...

chrome top blue turned over mine, just had to heat up the vpsec to about 200 and there ya go

ok, well thats a problem then, because i will either be getting a v spec or a Top p5 for my buggy. So i need a box that could turn that over.

Hmmm... hey pierow, which starter box did u switch over to since it would not turn over your v-spec???

I think he just swapped it for the same one.....that box has th emotor you want....there are a lot of manufacturers making boxes w/ that motor....sounds like OFNA is making a smaller box w/ it too now if I understand Diver correctly......just don't waster the money on a power panel thing....I got one and never use it....it just tells me if my battery is dead or not, but I use a power supply for my box no wanyway so it does me no good anymore....

Back