Fit/Power of OS 18 in a Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fix14wd

RCTalk Qualifier
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I have one guy telling me it's a direct fit and it will have plenty of power, but not uncontrollable, and another guy is telling me I will need to modify things to get it to fit, it'll be hard to controll and I'll be breaking parts like crazy..

I need to get the Rustler running, but I don't want to go overkill. It's for my 11yr old daughter, not me. So it needs to be somewhat tame I think...

Any advice?

I'm putting the OS .18 CV-RX into an HPI MT-2 with my dad. It's basically a direct fit. Obviously in our case going from a .15 to a .18 may put more stress on the drive line.

The way I see it, things are going to break anyway! If you need the engine on there then by all means buy it and put it on there, you won't regret it because that engine is easy to tune and runs well. She will spend more time enjoying her truck instead of being upset that it won't run right or even run at all.

So, buy the engine and put it in. Only when something breaks should you worry about replacing it. I can't say for sure if the engine is a direct fit but anyone that will tell you that you're going to be breaking things left and right is just a bad sport, that's half the fun! Besides, that 11 year old girl will probably be driving better than them in time so maybe they just fear the competetion. :)

the cv-rx was a direct fit in my rc10gt. i had to cut the crank though. as far as power it was insane, but can be dialed down pretty easy. wheelies on command, and all out speed. i loved it. as far as breaking stuff, i was spinning wheel hexes until i got some proline rims. the rusty has plastic shafts so they may be a weak link. but the truck is super light so maybe not. adjust the slipper correctly and you should be good as long as you dont punish it.

it should drop eight in i was playing around with my onroad rs4 3 and the 2.5 drop right in crank needed to be cut

Back