first buggy...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supernitro17

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm looking at getting a buggy just to fool around with and stuff. and jump in streets and dirt jumps basically. i will also probably throw some road tires on it and lower it every now and then just for poops and giggles. I'm thinking of the duratrax axis because its kinda cheap and looks like its alright. i also like to upgrade things. what do you think ?

I have never owned a Duratrax RC but I have heard reports from several who have and they did not like them at all. If you are just going out bashing one of the mid to higher end Ofna's will be perfect. The next step from there would be either the HB Lightning or the GS Storm. Both of these can be purchased in either kit or RTR form. I own a Storm Pro and I have been very happy with it.

In this hobby going the cheap route will cost you more in the long run.

Doing a search on the site will provide you with more information about the Ofna's, Lightning or Storm.

I have a Duratrax Nitro Evader, and couldn't be happier. Well If I had a MT I might be happier. Anyway It is hella fast for a little buggy and when tuned correctly will pull the front wheels 3-5 inches from a rolling start. Pretty durable so far except for the front control arms that are kinda weak. So far been happy as hell
and will promote my buggy to all.
Good luck guy.

Originally posted by mcvickj
I
In this hobby going the chIn this hobby going the cheap route will cost you more in the long run.
eap route will cost you more in the long run.

mcvickj is right go big or go home. lol you get ehat you pay for

haha , i followed that rule and spend all 4000 (and since ... way way way more )bucks of last summers job money on RC before the summer was over ... i decided to go with an ofna hyper 7 or gs ... i like them because the ofna can get a 2 speed, and they both have monster truc kits, and that seems cool ....

Pissant, Wait till you are an adult before you dog my stuff.

Originally posted by cajunVFR
duratrassh slam but he is right it is junk....sorry bro

I will accept that you think it is trash, however I am quite happy with it and hope you will respect my feelings.
Oh now I have to go cry a tad, someone hates me and my toys.
My wife will have to kick your ass for calling her Xmas present to me trash.

don't lie you did..Lol Just kidding. Everyone has an opinion of most everything. I am no fan of Duratrax but I have nothing from them. I go with what I know works well. The OFNA/ Kyosho/GS products are my route. I am getting the OFNA HYPER 7 myself. I will upgrade them as I see fit. Do you know if the DURAtrax is interchangeable with any of the aid brands above?

Congrats on the gift man

Jon

The only Duratrax product I've ever owned was masking paper for painting my new body for my buggy. It got the job done =)

When I got my Storm I knew I'd love R/C. I always did when I was a young little guy with my electric nikko cars. So, I went with something with a lot of hopups and good design. I've been extremely happy with it.

If you are unsure if you are going to like the hobby, I see nothing wrong with staying safe and getting yourself a Duratrax on the cheap. A lot of people say "Duratrax sucks" but don't own any, they just heard someone else say it. I don't own one. I mean, it's likely not going to be the same quality of a much more expensive car, but if you're not crazy with it it'll probably be a lot of fun.

Make sure you can get parts for it easily, from either your LHS or an online store.

If you have friends doing R/C, look what they own. Try to get something somewhat comparable to what they drive, or it'll be no fun. ie - if they all drive street cars, get a street car.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll love the hobby and you'll always be looking for to get the next best thing anyways, whether you get a Duratrax, an Ofna, a GS, or whatever. =)

i agree that a duratrax would be a good beginner car because of the low price , if you are unsure of staying in the hobby then by all means try it out. i am not new to RC though , I've been here a while and gone through plenty of cars, and still own 4 pretty high end rides. so i will say ofna hyper 7 , or GS storm.

I'm answering my own question in my own thread ... odd

yea i had a duratrax axis it was quick and all but no where near as sturdy as my xterminator just ask wast land about our head on crash he can tell it better than me

Originally posted by cajunVFR
Duratrash from this adult. I own a few things from duratrash. I love their glow igniter cheaply build but reliable as hell and the stand that Error just gave me.

As far as your original question I would lean more towards an Ofna or a Storm. Both can be reliable as hell.

I'm in the same "First Buggy" boat. I'm looking at the Ofna 9.5 MBX RTR for "Down at the Asylym BASHING". Dont know why the MBX looks better than the other Ofna's though. They have so many buggies. Need some help with that one before I buy an Ofna, or should I also save (wait longer...) and build a Mugen MBX5?$$$ (What does the MBX stand for?)

I would gave it back...& asked for an Ofna :boxing:

duratrax makes some decent accessories but their actual cars suck. If your looking to get into this hobby cheaply, maybe a 1/8th gas buggy isnt for you. Many other rc cars are cheaper and a lot of fun. Of course, the buggies are the fastest and most fun(except possibly monster trucks). If you are getting a buggy, be willing to spend about 450-550 bucks. That price range will get you into the hobby with one of the buggies mentioned above. My personal favorite is the gs storm, but to each his own. Avoid the duratrax buggies, my friend had one for 2 weeks before coming down from a nice jump and totaling it.

Back