Running same tire front and rear for 4wd buggy for carpet?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Locals say it is best for 4wd buggy (on the carpet track) to run the same front and rear tire?

Right now, as of last race night, I was running Pin Swags front and Schumacher cactus rear. The front tire change from the Swaggers (worn to nothing) to the pin swags got me lots of traction so I don't have to slow down to turn. Just have to roll into it and turn since I got traction. Now due to this, my lap times went down which is good. I think my fast was around a 13 which is pretty fast. Now the rears, the Cactus's are making the car, don't know how to explain it but all over the place. One local said to trim down the pins just like I did with the SCT so might try that out?

All of them do say to run the same tire front and rear? Should I get a set of Pin Swags rear?

I also got Fuzz bites for the front which I haven't tested yet but will next race day for practice. I think the Pin Swags might be more forgiving.

They also suggested ProLine Harpoons in the CR3 compound front and rear. Might get a set of those as well just to experiment around.

Was looking at pin swags for the rear. Looking at getting the premounted ones from Jconcepts because thats what I got for the front, and they are cheaper than getting a separate wheel, and glue which I am out of. But they are on backorder, I guess its a very popular tire, and people just don't like gluing tires.

Listing some tire combos that might work per the locals:
Pin swag front and rear (same tire front and rear kind of thing)
Pin swag front, fuzz bite rear (faster, doesn't last that long)
Harpoon CR3 front and rear (slower, last longer)

Last edited:
There's no set rule, everyone's driving style is different and what works for "THEM" may not necessarily work for "YOU".

Try different things and you'll eventually figure out what makes you faster, or dare I say more consistent because I feel that consistency is more important than speed ;)

That said, I'm going to offer what I have found to be the fastest combination "FOR ME":
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/2wd-wheels-on-4wd.136992/

I challenge anyone to find a tire that's faster than Raw Speed Fast Forwards ;)

Back