FastEddys first look at the Castle Conversion Kit.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I got the kit in today. I couldnt believe the weight of the box. Its way lighter then an engine but istill has some heft to it.

There were 4 boxes inside the conversion kit.

1. Motor
  2. ESC
  3. Cooling Fan
  4. Alloy and hardware..

1184503041_VRxpX-M.jpg

The excitement got to me so the first box I dug into was the motor. Its hard to grasp the size of this thing but its big. I'm used to 8th and 10th scale motors and this one has got to be 5-6times larger. It heels like a brick holding it in my hand.The wires are huge 8 gauge ropes with the ends soldered on them. Included in the engine box were 3 connectors for the ESC wires. Its nice that they didnt solder them onto the ESC wires. This gives the option of routing the wires as needed.

I put the motor on the scale and it wasn't as heavy as it looked or felt. 2.6 Lbs.

1184497476_aYaio-M.jpg

1184497626_ofSTt-M.jpg

1184497811_FEik6-M.jpg

The next box I opened was the cooling fan. It slid right on and should help keep things nice and cool. As a second task, its large enough that In the desert running, I can just turn it on, put my face up to it and cool off. Its huge!

1184497973_EqhzY-M.jpg

1184498313_Fkv4K-M.jpg

The next box to open was the ESC. Again its huge as compared to the 8th and 10th scale ESCs I'm used to working with. Its a solid unit with another huge cooling fan. I also like the way the Caps are mounted to the side of the ESC rather then hanging by a wire like other ESCs I have used in the past. Aslo one more time ill mention the 8 gauge wire and the additional length that they give.

1184498797_m77WC-M.jpg

1184499129_3RAk3-M.jpg

The last box contains all the alloy, hardware and the pinion. Lots of well packaged stuff in this box. All the screws are in separate labeled bags along with the pinion. Each alloy part is in its own bag to keep them from getting scratched up. There is also a large foam pad that I'm sure will revile its purpose as the build goes on. Last but not least is a set of battery straps.

1184499272_FDCue-M.jpg

1184499427_shbVW-M.jpg

1184499564_FitKw-M.jpg

1184499756_gMk2i-M.jpg

One thing that was disappointingly absent from the kit was a Castle Link. I double checked all the boxes and sure enough it wasn't there. I started to dig through the manual for the ESC and WA-LA!!!! I found a certificate for a FREE Castle link or Just 10.00 for their field link module. GOOD ENOUGH. I wont be needing the link for a week or so while I do the build so I promptly headed to my computer to fill out the form.

1184530408_zShs4-L.jpg

Looking forward to doing the conversion.

I'm guessin a 5b or 5t, thats a massive motor

i for sure wanna see a brushless 5b run lol

Stop teasing us, Eddy. More pics of the conversion, please.

I'm still waiting for a few parts for the conversion.
I have a new stock Baja 5T that I will be using.
I ordered in the HD drive cups and dog bones for a BajaSC that I will be using.
8HP of INSTANT Torque will rip the crap out of the stock drive.

Ill post up the build here if you guys are interested.

I will have this build displayed at RCX this year. Come by and say hi.

Never even heard of this but I havent been back in the hobby very long..

ARE YOU FREAKIN DONE WITH THE BUILD YET? :D

wow!! i'm soo jealous! definitely post up the build pics!

Yet once again Eddy Is THE MAN...that is going to be on hell of an amazing rig when it is done.

Well Eddy DOES own an RC business that is a massive supplier of high quality stuff. He deals mostly in 1/5 scale these days so the fact he is the first kid on the block to get the conversion BEFORE they hit the shelves.......not surprising. Eddy knows more about 1/5 scale than most people around.
http://www.teamfasteddy.com/

I'm just a regular guy that likes RCs like the rest of you.
No Rolex, I didnt say I'm a "Normal" guy. I know better:D

In all honesty, an electric Baja isnt a normal build for me. For the most part I build race rigs. With the limited runtime an electric will get, I'm building this one for the "FUN" factor. Thats something I havent been able to do in a few years.

8 HP of instant torque on a 25LB rig is a thrill I just have to explore.

Subscribed. This build looks sweet.

Big batteries. HAHA

I've been wanting to see this done for a LONG time and am very excited that Castle finally came out with a conversion. Soon, I see the Baja 5 series comming in a roller format on shelves just for this reason.

Back