EZ start or pull start. What do you prefer and why?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally love the EZ start, but I have to wait to experience some problems with it before I make a real judgement. I think eventually I'll start using a glow ignitor but for now I just use the wire since I have had no problems.

On my T-Maxx I always used the EZ start WITH the glow igniter. I just removed the blue wire from the plug. It would greatly increase the battery time on the EZ start, and I always had a few 'hot' ignitors handy.

When the batt is running low, you won't have enough juice to spin the engine and get the plug hot enough at the same time.
The Savage uses that set up. Roto start and separate igniter.

Used EZ-start with a separate glow igniter for a while then upgraded engine. My .21 and .40FS were both OS pull starts and I rarely had trouble starting either, even when grossly out of tune (OS engines are good about that). My new engine is a STS .30 with roto-start. I'll never go back to pull start.

It really depends on your tuning skills and patience. The EZ way is probably ideal for noobs or if you have not honed in on your tuning skils. I had no problem using the Pullstart. Somedays are good and some bad. If you decide on going the EZ route, I suggest using an external ignitor so the battery to the EZ Start last longer. It also provides a stronger charge to the plug. The EZ Start will power both the handheld, the EZ Start backplate and the plug. IMO it is too much for the battery.

Pullstarts are great if you clear out the crankcase, fuel lines and tank before storing. That way you are not trying to fight the build up in the fuel system.

My maxx has a pico .21 and starts even if it has a bad tune(I got it with a bad one) so the pull start isnt so bad, I just have to watch how hard I pull.

i recently fried my EZ start and switched to a pull start, i will say that it is much easier to start than waiting for the EZ start to spin. I just cust a larger hole between the tank and motor and pull it with the body on. now that it is tuned right she fires up everytime

By chance, does anyone make a roto-start type starter for the TRX engine? Was thinking about buying a pullstart since EZ start is giving me trouble. However I wonder what a roto start would be like.

you just need to buy a rotostart backplate for the trx and use the hpi rotostart on it .

Where can I find one? And do they sell the wand thing with just a chuck for like a cordless drill?