ESC for Crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msly

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey Guys....

I am looking for a good bargain.... for an ESC for a Rock Crawler.... I am on a budget and want something that will get the job done and is good enough to be useful for most motors etc. I really am not sure about this since most of my experience is with nitro rc's

thanks

sLY

Well Castle Creations really takes the cake when it comes to crawler ESC's. The sidewinder is the best value for budget. If you can find a used mamba for around the same price, then go with that route. With the sidewinders, you can run brushed or brushless, and run LiPo if you want. Also, you can program it to your liking for crawling with the castle link USB cord. You can get them for aroun $60. Whatever you do, don't run the LRP AI series ESC's, as they have a reverse delay that's horrible for crawling. The Novak Rooster Crawler is a good brushed ESC, but it costs about the same or possibly more than the sidewinder, and when you upgrade to brushless you'll have to buy another ESC. Sidewinder is the way to go when it comes to value, if you can find a good deal on a mamba max it's a much better ESC, but the sidewinder is no slouch.

Is this for your JPS Clod msly? If so you will need something that will power the two motors. You going to go with one pack or two?

I am using a Noval Super Duty XR, two 55 turn lathe motors, and two 3000 packs on my Clod crawler. It's a great esc.

Oh I didn't know you had a super rig. The Novak Super Duty is a nice unit, and they've been selling used for $40-$50 on the crawling forums. Some guys are running the traxxas EVX 2 that is 16.8 volts, but I don't have a super rig so I don't know how it compares to the Super Duty.

Yea its the same crawler... sad to say i actually never got it running. I would love to make that happen. I think the only thing i do not have is batteries and a ESC.

Is this for your JPS Clod msly? If so you will need something that will power the two motors. You going to go with one pack or two?

I am using a Noval Super Duty XR, two 55 turn lathe motors, and two 3000 packs on my Clod crawler. It's a great esc.

I use an older 14.4 EVX from an EMaxx on my clod based crawler and it works great.

They can be found for a relatively decent price for a used unit on ebay.

Since it uses 2 batt packs, you will need to put jumper between 2 of the wire leads in order to use only one pack. Really simple procedure.

I have some LiPo packs for sale really cheap if you run an ESC that can use them.

put the Rooster Crawler Edition in Thursday with the 55T motor and the 14t pinion. its toped out at walk speed. works great and the stop brake is Beefy and stops NOW. I'm running it with my React and its got a very linear throatle response so you can go very slow with the setup.