Engine Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroWannabe

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, so I'm not that mechanically inclined. In the past, when my first engine started running like crap I just bought a new one. I didn't think I would be able to take one apart and replace worn out parts, but today I got bored and took apart an engine. After seeing it in pieces I think I can handle it, its a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

But what I don't know is how to tell when its time to change the piston and sleave. Obviously when performance starts to degrade, but are there any physical/visable signs to look for?

I've looked around on-line and found a couple guides, but neither of which I'd consider to be a good newbies guide. Anybody got any pics or newbie guides they could share?

Very simple.... put the piston in one hand and the sleeve in the other, slide the piston in the bottom of the sleeve, if you can push the piston throught the top of the sleeve with relative ease, it's time for a rebuild

Flattop nailed it on the head as to the easiest way to tell. X