Battery storage question - Store in ammo can?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboy666

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Newbie here - I've got three new Spektrum G2 3S 30C batteries that I bought to use with my new Aeroscout, once the weather gets warmer. They are all discharged to 3.78 V, the recommended storage voltage. At that voltage, how important is it that I store them in some type of fireproof container like an ammo can or battery-safe bag?
I've of course read the horror stories about LIPO batteries exploding or catching fire, but it seems to be either when they are fully charged or have a load on them. So I am not seeing any real issue in just storing them in their original cardboard boxes, at the designated storage voltage.
Once I charge them fully before flying, I would of course put them in the ammo can. But I am talking about storage when the battery is at storage voltage.
Am I underestimating the risk, and should I be storing them in some sort of fireproof container even at storage voltage?
Thanks

Agreed what 9x19 said.

I use Amazon fireproof bags, since the local tracks require them and I use it to transport my batteries and charger and charge leads to the track and back.

Before I started racing, I used my original lipo bag I had, and I also stored new batteries in the box they came in for a short while.

As long as they are balanced cells, and around 3.8v per cell (storage charge) you should be good.

Store in a cool and dry place. I have mine in my basement. Cool, and dry. And that's where I have my workbench at so it's convenient.
PXL_20240211_005717796.jpg

If you use a ammo can remove rubber seal at top. drill a vent hole in can.. put a smoke detector in cam or by hole....
some lipo safe bags fail under a lipo fire

I guess I'm paranoid. I keep mine in lipo bags that are inside ammo cans that are inside a big metal tool box. I think it's a good idea to play it safe. Fire is very unforgiving.

Thanks all. Sounds like I am ok for now, but even better off if I store them in a container.
I do have one question regarding tntproof's comment to remove the rubber seal from my ammo can and drill a hole in it for venting. I did some further reading and it seems it is best NOT to tightly close/seal the ammo can lid. I was unaware of that.
So ... now I am a bit confused. What protection is provided by storing the batteries in a container if the container is vented or not airtight? I realize that the batteries don't need outside air to combust. But if they do, and they are NOT in a sealed container, can't the fire spread outside the container?

Sealed containers can rupture, sometimes violently, from the out-gassing that occurs as a battery melts down.

The box I use is fire resistant but there is no rubber seal.

Yes, I got that. But if a battery catches fire in an unsealed/vented container, what's to stop the fire from spreading beyond that container?

Yes, I got that. But if a battery catches fire in an unsealed/vented container, what's to stop the fire from spreading beyond that container?
That's why I triple up the containers

I would discourage placing any number of packs in close proximity in the rare event that 1 battery erupts in flames where it can cause a chain reaction.

Heat is the #1 cause for battery failure, be sure to store them in a cool dry place.

I have heard of stories where batteries spontaneously combusted while in storage mode but it was after a race day where batteries in race cars tend to see more abuse than in aircraft. If you crash and have a hard impact then be wary of the pack and look for signs of swelling/damage.

I would encourage you to regularly check the IR on your cells to know their overall health and discard when the IR goes significantly out of balance, more info here:

the ammo can has a rubber seal at top.removing will allow a small vent area not enough to stop the bomb affect ..that what Hole is for. then you can seal cans latch.

Thanks. I have an ammo can that closes almost fully (without latching), providing a gap for gases to escape if need be. So that is what I will be using.
I tend to use ammo cans for other types of storage as well, so I don't want to remove the rubber gasket.

Look on YT there are plenty of LiPos burnt up in the name of science.

I agree that they are stable at storage charge.... However, things can change. If they get too hot or the charge drops over (a very long period of time) it can be come unstable. Also if you live where you have earthquakes there is, albeit remote, chance of it falling or getting punctured.

For those reasons, they live in the BBQ outside for the cooler season. It's completely fire proof by definition. They live in the garage in an ammo can in the summer. If we go on vacation, the get locked in the oven. I know the temperature range of the house and it's also a fire proof container.

Its not the preferred method for all but it works for me and ammo cans, Bat-Safe, BBQ are much cheaper than a house fire.

As for the ammo can, seal or no seal doesn't matter. If you leave the seal in, the pressure will distort the can and it can fall over, but it's not exactly a bomb.

No matter what you do, check the voltage every few months and look for damage.

Ammo can should be good, I like using a lipo bag myself. They do sit in the LHS for months on the shelf out in the open in storage mode. So really whatever makes you sleep well at night. For me it make the wife feel better.

Back