Big Cat Hull

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What made you go with electric?

I don't have access to a full sized boat, but I have access to thousands of acres of still water.
I don't have to worry about stalling out, or running out of fuel, and when all the upgrades are in, brushless will really make it move.

Okay, lessen, I've been a slacker. I'll get off, and take some pics right now, just for you.

works for me. I have two full sizeboats, so I'd like to go gas. I have dreams of one of those 55 inch ones with a zenoa 26, but I can't justify the cash right now.

Here is my fishing boat (86 bass tracker with a 40 horse)

And here is my speed boat (87 Baja sport 196 with a 454 Mag -330 horse)

Nice. So, if you leave one or both of them with me, I'll go with nitro.

I took photos last night, but because of using the flash against the white hull, they didn't come out very good. I'll get some in daylight tomorrow.

I have owned numerous boats.Electric and gas.And I had the most fun with gas.My favorite was a 50" offshore cat with a modified 23cc Zenoah gas engine..It would run around 50 mph.But it would run over 45 minutes on a tank of pump gas..I also had a 50'' Apache deepvee and a 36' offshore cat both powered by gas Zenoah engines..Boats are really fun to run especially when you can get some friends to run with..I have seen many nitro boats run and I prefer gas over nitro.Nitro maybe faster but gas is more user friendly and cost less to run.I am sure your boat with brushless motors will be a hand full..

Mark

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

coughslackercough...

LMFAO-FU

If you caught the thread about a week ago where I lost 47 pics in my camera, you'll know why I kind of forgot about this. 5 of the pics were of the new graphics. No biggie. It's the other 42 I can't take again.

I'll put some pics on my to do list if you take something for that cough of yours.

Those big offshore powerboats are TOTALLY amazing to watch. They're one of the few things I watch on ESPN. Something so big, so powerful, and so fast....on WATER!!!

Wow, talk about a slacker. I almost forgot about this thread till I got my brushless motor and ESC for it. SOOoooo, here are the pics of the new graphics....

Bow.jpg

Front.jpg

RtRr.jpg

RtRearSide.jpg

FrRight.jpg

Stern.jpg

Yea I want video.....fly overs, roostertails and action from the canopy.....get busy!!!

Now that the graphics are done, it's time for the mechanicals. Check out this bad boy....

It's the FineDesigns XLT-1.
1500W, 60,000 RPM, 2.5 horsepower brushless and heavy enough to sink the boat.
ESC is 125 Amps.
I'm now in the process of trying to get all the hardware I need.

BLmotor.jpg

BRwith_Heat_Sinks.jpg

ESC.jpg

Last edited:
I've spent many hours looking for parts on the net. It would depend on what prop I use, and if it's direct drive or geared up or down with a trans. I've got to get the basics together, then work out the details.

You might want to consider purchasing the Quark add-on heatsink from RCM or make one oneself. At 125 amps the ESC will get warm enough to thermal, especially if it's a prolonged run. The RCM heatsink has provisions to add two fans.

Do you have a wattmeter? How many cells do you plan on running? Looking good so far.

Jeez Dom, you are like the Electrogod around here :)

He's not LIKE it, he IS it. I plan on a heat sink or water cooling for it. Don't wander too far SD, I'll be needing your advise on this project.

I've been searching for days, and I might have to use this brushless in a deep V hull instead. I'm not having much luck coming up with what I need to power a catamaran with a single motor.
I'm starting to look into other hulls, and dual drives for this one.

More hardware arrived today. Aluminum rudders and mounts, Master mount, strut, turning fins and hardware.

ESC heat sink, cooling fans and water jacket for the motor are on the way.

Is it almost springtime yet?

Wrench those new parts on and show us some more pics.......can't you test this in the bathtub or somthin???? I have a pool you can use.....just let me know when you want to come and I will go out of town....;)

Back