Backyard Racetrack (FINALLY!)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's awesome to be able to run in your own yard.
Rain or shine you can get your track built and groomed. You have a laborer who "Will work for food". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped in at Home Depot today. I don't have jack for gardening tools so picked up a few things. Spade, cultivator, 40ft. of edging and an axe (stupid roots). Yes, a measily 24 x 8 and I found roots just under the surface and right by the house too! Grrrr. Anyways, I think Sunday I'll be putting in some time out there and hopefully get the top 6 inches or so loosed and broken down a bit so I can move it around as necessary. I'll need to get a tamper of course as well as corrugated tubing for lane separation. One step at a time...

Not a ton going on at his point.. at least it doesn't look like it. I imagine it's the hard work though. Just trying to break ground the ole fashioned way. It's been really hot here so I've only broken up a little bit each day this week. This should be all broken by the weekend. Then I figure I'll get a tiller and break it up further. I'm finding even more stone which really sucks but I'm not going to go through the hassle of cleaning it all out. Once it's all tilled I'll just spread it out the way I want and tamp it down the best I can.

photobucket-2365-1374012640903_zpsdadb9ad0.gif

Well, until I get a chance to till the area I figured I'd work on some hardware. I have half a dozen 6' lengths of 1/8" steel rod that I'll use to hold the tubing down. Hopefully that's secure enough. I was able to get 9 pieces per rod so that's about 60 I can get without buying more stock. Problem is it's bare steel so Ill probably put some sort of coating on them before actual use.

photobucket-6383-1374444063469_zps2b5c6d15.gif

I love see the progress of these things. Tom, that is an awesome track! Josh I can't wait to see the final product.
We live on 16 acres and have about 6 that isn't in the flood plain. Pretty sure this fall I'm going to borrow my father inlaws bobcat and start an area for a track. I've got a friend and his son who run electric trucks and I'm sure I can get them to help out. :)

Did a bit of work today. Basically, just removing the sod and as much garbage as I run into. Found some pretty heavy tree roots that had to be axed out. The far end in the picture is where I've found a lot of junk. A bit of stone and broken brick. I shoveled out all of the loose/dry dirt that lies beneath the eve and I'm just trying to clean it up the best I can. It's coming along nicely I think and I thank the lord I didn't try to do this too much larger than I have.

photobucket-5909-1375116933158_zpsb0becfee.gif

Glad to see your taking alot of time on cleaning the dirt up as much as possible. I didnt on mine the first time and weeds came back in fast.

Keep the updates coming. It looks like it'll be a fun track for the little critters.

His Losi showed up today along with plenty of spares and such. Got all the option springs so I can start teaching the boy about setup changes. I think he's gonna be very excited. His birthday is Thurs. The track won't be ready but he's been helping quite a bit too. He's very proud of his help. We all went to see Turbo at the theater today. I'm taking him to the carpet track Saturday and it sounds like we're all going to the Indycar race at Mid-Ohio on Sunday. Probably the best stay at home vacation I may ever take. :)

I can't believe your wife hasn't planted vegetables there, yet. :D

Ha! She works too much for that. Chase has tomatoes, corn and cucumbers on the other side of the house. I don't mess with gardening, this is as close as it gets :)

I want to keep it tidy. I'll spray the inside with all vegetation killer once I get it all in place. Nice clean barrier.

photobucket-8864-1375277973969_zpsfd69efb0.gif

I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's done! I think it is a really cool idea to use landscape edging for the track border. We haven't been able to do much on our track lately, mainly because of me and football.

Back