Backing question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGT8.0owner

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey guys, I've got a question for you painters around here.

What can i back my paint jobs with so that they wont wash off after getting nitro on them?

i lost a lot of paint off my last body after a messy pit man got fuel all over the place, when i tryed to wash the body anywhere that had got hit by fuel came off on the rag.

So what do you guys use to prevent things like this? BTW i'm using Faskolor paints if that makes any difference.

-Austin

Not positive but I think 1/2 the issue is faskolor is waterbase so not as durable as say a lacquer base like a spazstix. I've typically sprayed with spaz and than backed with either black or white pactra rattlecan

I believe (and I could be wrong about this) but I think they make a clear coat you can put over it to help protect it but I dont have any idea if it will protect it from nitro fuel or not. I've never managed to get fuel inside my lids to any real extent so I'm not sure what to suggest honestly. I would suggest not laying the lid on its top and set it with the paint facing down so if anything is spilled on it then it will be on top of the body and not on the paint. IDK, wish I could be more helpful.

Yeah i only use Faskolor because it's all that's readily available up here. And the spillage didn't happen on the bench, it happens during race conditions during pit stops, trying to get it full as fast as possible.

during the race it really doesn't matter if a mess is made in the buggy, it's all about getting out there as fast as possible, i'm just trying to save my paint when the fuel guy gets a little over excited

I guess another answer to this is i could just get a fuel gun, but i've always preferred bottles

Why not cut your body away over the fueltank? I've used zipties in the fueltank lid and when I start running low I pull the ziptie, open the fuetank and refill. All without removing the body! Just a thought

Why not cut your body away over the fueltank? I've used zipties in the fueltank lid and when I start running low I pull the ziptie, open the fuetank and refill. All without removing the body! Just a thought

Yeah i've been doing that for years....in the heat of a 30 minute pro series race, things get messy when your scrounging for every second on the track

Pactra Covercoat holds up to nitro if applied properly. A good fairly wet final coat is durable and nitro proof.

I'm in the same boat, using water based paint as it's readily available. I've tried Faskoat on a couple bodies and have been pretty disappointed with it. I like to rinse the bodies off to keep the dirt outside the house. The body that I used Pactra spray cans on has held up, so will probably start backing the createx and faskolor with that and see what happens.

Yeah i've been doing that for years....in the heat of a 30 minute pro series race, things get messy when your scrounging for every second on the track

Another thought for you is make a mark on your filler bottle for 1 full tank of fuel and only fill to that line during races. That way if your a little sloppy you dont have to worry about over filling your truck/car and it wont get as messy. Just a thought