Any paints worth a pinch of *#@*

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatwelderguy69

RCTalk Member
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
I recently got back into RC stuff and I usually use spray paints for the bodies and haven't had any problems. However, I recently tried to paint the interior of a truck and this acrylic crap wouldn't cover anything. I bought some Testors paints, because that is what I used growing up and it was always pretty good stuff. I still have most of my models that I have done decades past and the paint still looks good. I'm looking for some quality paints to paint models and RC's with and I don't know where to go or what kind to use. Does anyone have some quality paints that you use? I've got a huge pirate ship coming for Christmas and I'd like to be able to paint it without having to repaint something 25 times because it won't cover over plastic. SO I'm stressed out looking for some and I would rather hear it from people that use them over some salesman or what ever is written on a model paint box. Thanks

I use Testors for painting inside lexan interior shells sometimes, but I assume you'll be painting on the outside of a hardbody? My goto airbrush paint for hardbodies is Createx.

Are you painting hardbodies, or polycarbonate shells? Hardbodies your open to just about anything after giving it a good coat of primer.

Polycarb (lexan) shells should use polycarbonate paint. I have had good luck with Duratrax polycarbonate paint available at Horizon Hobby. Tamiya is probably the most widely used for polycarb. Because they have the widest selection of colors in a spray can. I like the Duratrax better myself.

I see @WickedFog beat me to it while I was pecking at the keyboard. 🤣

@thatwelderguy69 - are you wanting spray paint or are you brushing the paint on? Are you using a brush with airbrush paints?

You guys read he is painting a plastic ship right? Not an RC car? It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what the project actually is. For my models I always used Vallejo, Model Master, Floquil, or Createx. Floquil is no more though, but you can still find it for sale. It was my fav back in the day. It's a shame they closed down.

The OP has an RC Truck in his avatar and states:

"I recently got back into RC stuff and I usually use spray paints for the bodies and haven't had any problems. However, I recently tried to paint the interior of a truck and this acrylic crap wouldn't cover anything."

The problem is he's using acrylic and not poly-carb paint, chances are he didn't de-grease the body with any liquid detergent either before painting :(

"I recently got back into RC stuff and I usually use spray paints for the bodies and haven't had any problems. However, I recently tried to paint the interior of a truck and this acrylic crap wouldn't cover anything."

The problem is he's using acrylic and not poly-carb paint, chances are he didn't de-grease the body with any liquid detergent either before painting :(

That may be past problems he'sfaced with other projects, but he states his current project is a plastic boat. Not sure I'd want to paint that with Spaz Stix or Duratrax since those are more aimed at model automotive applications. That's why I also said we need clarification, because there are many types of boat models/rc's out there, and the paint I would use would depend on the type of boat it is. Is it a static model? An RC tug? A speedboat? What "plastic" is it?

I have used Spazstix on a wide variety of surfaces where it's a superior aerosol paint that will stick to just about anything, not only is it waterproof but it's also fuel proof where nitro fuel won't degrade the finish ;)

I have used Spazstix on a wide variety of surfaces where it's a superior aerosol paint that will stick to just about anything, not only is it waterproof but it's also fuel proof where nitro fuel won't degrade the finish ;)
that, is good to know. I am saving up for the proline flo tec body and ill look into that paint brand.

I have used Spaz Stix as well. I have a lot of their paints. And it still wouldn't be my first choice for a boat, unless it was a speed boat or something flashy. Their color selection just isn't nearly as diverse as a lot of other brands. I mean, if he wants bright colors, or black or white... sure. Again, the OP needs to provide more info.

@thatwelderguy69 - are you wanting spray paint or are you brushing the paint on? Are you using a brush with airbrush paints?

You guys read he is painting a plastic ship right? Not an RC car? It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what the project actually is. For my models I always used Vallejo, Model Master, Floquil, or Createx. Floquil is no more though, but you can still find it for sale. It was my fav back in the day. It's a shame they closed down
Sorry for the brain fart, I was actually trying to brush paint the interior of this Toyota Bruiser and the acrylic stuff I have sucks. I tried my testors out awhile back on a model and they just wouldn't cover. If you try to go back over it to soon it just wipes off what you just painted on and I'm talking about brush painting. I just use whatever regular spray paint I have laying around for my bodies, I was just wanting to do some fine detail work. But thank you for those brands. I'll go look them up. I also have some regular model kits I want to do, but I haven't yet because I can't find paint worth a sh*t. I don't mind paying some $$ to get good paint. I also have a $400 boat to start on and again, I want to do it right and want quality paints. So thank you.

I build and paint trucks and hot rods on the side. So I know all about stripping the body down of an oils, dirt, etc etc. Sorry I didn't clarify a little better. I don't have any problems painting the bodies, my problem is trying to do the detail work inside the cab and the crap I'm using ain't cutting the mustard.

Last edited:
Sorry for the brain fart, I was actually trying to brush paint the interior of this Toyota Bruiser and the acrylic stuff I have sucks. I tried my testors out awhile back on a model and they just wouldn't cover. If you try to go back over it to soon it just wipes off what you just painted on and I'm talking about brush painting. I just use whatever regular spray paint I have laying around for my bodies, I was just wanting to do some fine detail work. But thank you for those brands. I'll go look them up. I also have some regular model kits I want to do, but I haven't yet because I can't find paint worth a sh*t. I don't mind paying some $$ to get good paint. I also have a $400 boat to start on and again, I want to do it right and want quality paints. So thank you.

I build and paint trucks and hot rods on the side. So I know all about stripping the body down of an oils, dirt, etc etc. Sorry I didn't clarify a little better. I don't have any problems painting the bodies, my problem is trying to do the detail work inside the cab and the crap I'm using ain't cutting the mustard.
The best way to do that then is give everything a basecoat with gray automotive primer. I like the sandable kind since it leaves a little more "absorbant" texture. Then try your acrylics.

sorry it took me so long to respond on this post. My mom had several strokes and I've been out of the loop. I was thinking about doing that. I just thought that there might be a quality paint out there for painting models and I have a massive sailing ship I'll be building soon and I want good paint. THanks
The best way to do that then is give everything a basecoat with gray automotive primer. I like the sandable kind since it leaves a little more "absorbant" texture. Then try your acry

sorry it took me so long to respond on this post. My mom had several strokes and I've been out of the loop. I was thinking about doing that. I just thought that there might be a quality paint out there for painting models and I have a massive sailing ship I'll be building soon and I want good paint. THanks
Sorry to hear about your Mom, hope she's doing well, been there done that, not a good time.

For acrylics multiple coats are good, once you lay down a thin coat (don't overwork it) let it dry, you can speed up this process with a blowdryer, then apply more coats. I prefer acrylics because they are faster to work with, easier to clean up after, and don't need ventilation unless you airbrush (or spray can) a large amount.

Thank you. I've been building full size 4x4's my whole life. I can do it all except upholstery. My back and knees are junk, so I started building RC's. I just want to paint using a brush, I just wasn't having much luck, and I don't remember ever having that problem as a kid building models. But thanks for the input.