Anything I should know/buy when I get a 5B SS Kit?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy birdnest maker batman! Had I known I could have been building birds nests so easily with this rig, I'd have bought it earlier!

Pretty sure HPI could have figured out something less likely to jam every blade of grass, leaf and stick you run over into the side of the body scoops...

Tips?

This thing is awesome! Took more than an hour to burn a tank of fuel (2nd tank) and never shut it down once or fiddled with the tune more than once. Frustrated with nitro? Don't want to bother with electric? GO 1/5TH SCALE!!! lol

Pick up the 5T under guard and loose the 5B side pods. Body will need trimmed to clear though.

Here are pics of what it looks like when completed.

e5d7c905f7bc955284a6a4df97e8ade9_171.jpg

5d4ed042458da010c3dce41f36933d0a_170.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see in the photo's really how either one does much better than the stock setup. Anyone got better photo's of the top of the body out of the way showing the intake ducts?

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3198/.f
I've found these, but they are pretty pricey... considering making something like them out of some light gauge steel. Or going with the 5T parts if I can see how they help the problem.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6159/.f
Also ran accross this, but it won't help once the corner of the pod catches something and gets ripped up. The 5T pods look like a better approach, then if needed, put some screening on the openings if there are any.

I just did the engine screen mod on the back side of the flywheel intake area and the starter housing. Ran the truck for an hour and I swear I had a birds nest jammed under the engine.
Like this:
flycover1.jpg

I know outerwears makes a screen to keep the grass out of the enigne, but to me it makes more sense to figure out how to keep grass from getting up in there to begin with and have the outerwears thing there as a safegaurd.

Just trying to get these things ferreted out before the warmer weather is upon me. Then I spend less time wrenching and more time driving/relaxing. ;)

Last edited:
Here are better pics of the 5T guards on my 5B.

A lot of guys also glue some filter foam in the 5B pods to keep grass out.

1apods005.jpg

1apods004.jpg

1apods002.jpg

1apods001.jpg

Many thanks friend! I'll be getting that on order asap! Looks like it alleviates 2 issues, 1, the scoops getting caught and ripping up the skidplate/body and 2, no more birds nests!

Wonder why they just didn't put this on the baja buggy as well...

Back