Anything I should know/buy when I get a 5B SS Kit?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear it. You are going to love the build and love running it even more. Post up some pics when it shows up.

I get 2-3 tanks at least with mine. I am running a 4600 but.

On a stock 2100 mAH NiCd pack I got about 2 tanks. It was the original pack on the original 5b RTR. It's since been replaced with a 3000 mAH NiMH pack.

Boooooooooo... something wrong with my order... Have to call them tomorrow to get it sorted. THE WAITING IS KILLING ME!!! IT'S BEEN 24 HOURS ALREADY!!!! LOL

The waiting sucks. I got mine shipped and it arrived the day after I left for vacation, and I didn't get it for two months because my dad died and I couldn't get it because his gold-digging wife wouldn't let me get my stuff.

Well it showed up last Friday. Had it 98% built by Sunday morning. Ran a tank through it... this is going to be a great summer!

Got some weirdness with my radio though.

I have no idea what color to paint the body. I'm not a "painter", so will more than likely just hit it with some black and throw some stickers on it. Not sure what else goes with orange anno anyway.

As it sits now:
2011-0212-BajaOnTheBench02.jpg

Going to have to deal with my bag being too small though... A bigger bag won't fit in my trunk longways!
2011-0212-BajaInTheHaulerBag01.jpg

Will hopefully get a chance to paint the body between now and the weekend so I can run it some more.

Sure wish someone would snag my aftershock, I really need the shelf space! Will be selling my savage too. I just don't see me ever using/running 5 vehicles. Last summer I ran my AS once, savage 3 times, jato about 10 times and 90% of my bashing was done with my revo.

The Baja is a great basher and is much cheaper to run than the nitro trucks. Enjoy running your new toy. As far as painting it. I did a new body for mine and used msking tape to emulate the cover oc Van Halen's Best of Both Worlds album cover in purple, silver and black. It was all rattle can so there wasn't a whole to it after masking and prepping it.

The truck looks SICK olds.. I really wish i had the money for one.

RPM makes some front lower shock mount skid plates for the Baja 5b as well as arms and bumpers. DDM has them in stock.

Huge congrats Olds, that's awesome. I've wanted one for a long time now. How is the speed, I mean is it enough to satisfy you, or does it leave you wanting more? I'm tempted to sell one of my guns to buy a Baja, and that's saying a lot for me.

Looking good. Enjoy the baja.

HPIguy,

My ss was clocked at 47 when it was stock. They move really well and weight about 26 lbs.

Congratz Olds! Is it everything you hoped for? I got mine finished up today so hopefully I'll get a short day at work tommorrow and I can run it a little.

Huge congrats Olds, that's awesome. I've wanted one for a long time now. How is the speed, I mean is it enough to satisfy you, or does it leave you wanting more? I'm tempted to sell one of my guns to buy a Baja, and that's saying a lot for me.

It seems fast, but really I've only driven it on empty parking lots for the most part due to so much snow on the ground still. Very weird that it takes an hour to drain 1 tank of fuel! I've only gotten one through it so far.

Looking good. Enjoy the baja.

HPIguy,

My ss was clocked at 47 when it was stock. They move really well and weight about 26 lbs.

That's fast enough for me.

It seems fast, but really I've only driven it on empty parking lots for the most part due to so much snow on the ground still. Very weird that it takes an hour to drain 1 tank of fuel! I've only gotten one through it so far.

Yeah, it's still screwing up our bash spot since it's in the shade 90% of the day. I think it's the ultimate RC personally. One of these days.

Look in the Video section on my site. There are Hundreds of videos, how tos, reviews and tips.
www.TeamFastEddy.com

I'll check those out, thanks Eddy.

Just a few things.
If your using a stinger on the pipe remove it, its robbing you of a LOT of HP.
Not sure if you have a new style or an old style pipe on there now. take it off and look inside. If you see any "Mesh" in there, use some needle nose and bull it out.

On the Baja the pipe makes a huge difference. an aftermarket pipe can add up to 30% instant bolt on power depending on the pipe. Minus the noise factor the stock pipe (Can Style) is about the worse out there.

I'm running the hi flow 5T can pipe on it. I'm looking for quiet. I also have a 3/4" ID silicone tube running out to the rear of the truck to keep the gunk off the chassis.

The stock pipe was the HPI tuned aluminum pipe. I didn't even install it. I took off the small can that has the stuff inside and put on the hi flow can that I bought before the truck arrived.

Many of you know about my lack of painting skills... so I kept it simple with a metallic black and pure white (only white my LHS had in rattle can):
2011-0217-BajaBodyPaintedOnStool01.jpg

2011-0217-BajaBodyPaintedOnStool02.jpg

Hopefully get some wheel time tomorrow.

Looking good my man. I'm hoping to get my B out this weekend also.

Holy birdnest maker batman! Had I known I could have been building birds nests so easily with this rig, I'd have bought it earlier!

Pretty sure HPI could have figured out something less likely to jam every blade of grass, leaf and stick you run over into the side of the body scoops...

Tips?

This thing is awesome! Took more than an hour to burn a tank of fuel (2nd tank) and never shut it down once or fiddled with the tune more than once. Frustrated with nitro? Don't want to bother with electric? GO 1/5TH SCALE!!! lol

The Proline Desert Rat Under tray should help out with that, Olds.

Back