What to look for when buying a used revo..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mostasteless

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey, I'm not a complete RC virgin, I have a Slash and know a little about electric RCs but I want a gas RC. Enter Revo.... Anyways I'm looking to buy a used one and I want to know what to look for to know its in good running order.
Also, sorry if this is a repost, but what are some very basic things I need to know about Revos in regaurds to common problems, matinence (Obviously clean airfilters, I come from a MX background) And what are basic parts I should purchase or replace instantly... Gas recomendations, and anything else I may have forgotten.

P.S. My names Nick and I'm new to the fourm :D

Well the first thing to know is that I am selling one LOL https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91185

There are many diferant versions of the revo, you want to make sure your not buying a 2.5 with a 3.3 engine slapped in it...........

You want to pay ROUGHLY half what a new one would cost if your buying used. Look for OBVIOUS problems, smashed parts ect. Check for radio reception at a distance, check for servo responce and power. A used and abused motor can act like a new engine so.............. basically assume its gonna need an engine sooner or later.

hey whats wrong with a 2.5 that had a 3.3 put in it thats whhat i did . so what is the difference between a 2.5 and a 3.3 revo . (REALLY)

The 3.3 has a longer chassis and a slightly different transmission housing as well as a brace on the motor mount to help prevent the chassis from cracking.

The 3.3 chassis handles better IMO.

Whatever you find make sure you price it as having a blown engine. Don't fall for the 'ol "just broken in" or "lightly used" crap. Very few people are selling their great running, almost-new engines. I would consider finding a nice rolling chassis for cheap then getting a brand new engine for it.

Buy a spare clutch or get a nice upgrade clutch.

That's a lot of rc for a begginer knall. If I was you I would start out with a nitro sport or something a little more begginer friendly IMO. Revo's are awesome but it's alot of money to drop on a rc just starting out. If your completely green to rc's I wouldn't buy used either because more than likely there is going to be something wrong and you aren't going to know where to even start troubleshooting. Buy you a new nitro sport or something in that nature and get the feel for it and use that as a learning basis then when you get good at it upgrade to what you really want.

I would have to agree buying a expensive car when first starting out would be like buying your kid a $1000 guitar befor they even know they will like it (not a good move)

point is get in slow .can be very overwhelming.and very expensive . speical a used one no experince in repairing them not good.

I would still get the revo. You will be disappointed with a 2wd stadium truck.
Buying a used truck as a beginner may not be such a good idea though.
If you decide that you don't like it there's always ebay.

The Revo was my first nitro truck and I love it.

doesn't the 2.5 have a weaker drive line also? axles, drive shafts ect.

The drive line is the same. The main differences are the engine, the chassis and the transmission case.

for a first nitro the revo or tmaxx is about the 2 best choices imo you can drive everywhere with them, and after you get used to that big beast you can always figure out if you like the smaller trucks like your slash or the revo, they also have the slayer which is pretty much the nitro version of the slash. I havent had a slayer yet but it is on the list of wants!!!!

Honestly I would go new unless you know someone that has a real good revo they are willing to sell to you, so you can check it out first when it is used you always want to try it if you dont plann on replacing a bunch of things right off..... And sometimes what the person did with the revo before you get it might be setup for a completely different driving style you like so you get stuck trying to make do until you can afford to buy new parts..

good luck on getting into the nitro part of things... you will fall inlove instantly!!!!!

So how do you like your slash??? and which setup is it??? 2wd or 4wd.. brushed or brushless???

Back