What is best

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this is your first nitro, take time to learn how a nitro runs. Especially understand the break in of the engine, and the design and the function of the carb. These two points are critical.

Read the manual cover to cover, completely go over the truck, learn all about it, check all fasteners are tight. Locktite all screws that thread into metal, do not over tighten screws into plastic.

Remember, these are hobby vehicles, not toys. Part of the hobby is learning and wrenching. Check out HPI SAVAGE FORUM if you do get a Savage.

Good luck and enjoy.

When i saw the first reply
Where he was talking about all the stuff he got for i was like wow!!!....aaahhhh i dont even know half o the parts he mentioned ...:thumbs-down::thumbs-down::thumbs-down:
But kool for sure i will read all about it before i start getting crazy on it...cuz i know that at the store they will try to sell u as much as they can and i dont have that much cash to spend at the moment...

Soo
This is very true.
i bought the savage
But out the box it idles too much
I dont know is this normal or becuase its a big block

Weird idle is pretty normal on a new engine. Once broken in, you can usually adjust it down some since it will be leaner then and probably running even faster at idle.

I need some pointers...
How can we adjust the gearing on the transmission ...the two gears where kicking in then it just went down to one gear..

Ok
Soo what i am trying to say is that at full throttle it does not shift to second gear ..i dont know if i need to adjust the shifting to shift sooner or what..but for now it only stay in one gear

First break in the engine . And if you got the engine running correctly adjust the 2speed. Not before you got the engine tuned properly...

If you want to go full throttle before a good break in is done you will kill the engine and need a new one soon..

2012-1223-SavageChargeJack.jpg

on the savage there is a port on one side to hookup a charging port
hpi-1-8-savage-x-ss-4-6-radio-box-roll-bar-kit-1_1024x1024.jpeg

if you get a switch with a charging cable so a 3 wire switch like this one - ( edited image since they labeled connectors wrong )
switch.JPG

just plug the hump pack into it when you switch off your receiver your battery then can be charged i will upload a pic of my setup shortly
i'm using dual batteries as I'm using an onboard glow heater + a light kit,

edit:
extra images of my setup

IMG_1612.JPG

I customised my switch and aux out cable so i can fully remove the top of the battery box instead of having it hang by wires when I'm doing maintenance
IMG_1613.JPG

in this image you can see where i drilled a hole for my secondary battery input ( yes my second battery is hot glued in place )
you can also see my aux out where my light kit and onboard glow igniter gets plugged in
IMG_1614.JPG

Last edited:
Tell us how you've been doing with the break-in. Later, we'll deal with the transmission. Usually they won't shift properly till they've been broken in and tuned correctly.

Ok so the break in process is good...but as i was breaking it in..it messed up the gear the engine reved up and tore the theeth so i didnt have a spare one but my buddy had a metal one so i used to to finish the break in process..but not that i am trying to use it ..it does turn on but it wont go ..it just revs up so i turn it off...but i am defently going back to the plastic gear its on order already

So tomorrow i am going to replace the metal gear to the plastic one...but other than that the truck sounds like a beast..almost done with the tune
Process...and it should be ready for the off road