Rc nitro smoking engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cqmeron

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Bought a nitro rc car 3 years ago, couldn't get it to start but have recently pulled it out again. I've gotten it to start but recently it has been smoking from the pinion gear which I know isn't normal and I don't know how to fix it. It is trying to runaway without pulling the trigger etc too. I've attached a couple of photos so you can see that it has changed color.
IMG_6605.jpg
IMG_6606.jpeg

Welcome to RCT. Your idle speed is too high and the clutch shoes burning up. When you run your RC put it on a box or something to keep the wheels off the ground. That way the wheels can spin and and it won’t damage the clutch shoes any further. Make sure the throttle trim on your transmitter isn’t turned up and also check your idle gap. Shouldn’t be any bigger than the thickness of a credit card. Get your idle speed down to normal and you should be fine. Stick with it. Nitro is awesome when you get it figured out👍🏻

Welcome to RCT. Your idle speed is too high and the clutch shoes burning up. When you run your RC put it on a box or something to keep the wheels off the ground. That way the wheels can spin and and it won’t damage the clutch shoes any further. Make sure the throttle trim on your transmitter isn’t turned up and also check your idle gap. Shouldn’t be any bigger than the thickness of a credit card. Get your idle speed down to normal and you should be fine. Stick with it. Nitro is awesome when you get it figured out👍🏻
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I also found that I had the engine slightly on an angle so the gear mesh wasn't working right. Sorry to be a pain but could you check these photos and tell me if everything looks right, cheers.
IMG_6606.jpeg
IMG_6614.jpeg
IMG_6610.jpeg

You’re not being a pain. LOL. Feel free to ask questions. Everything looks ok in the pics except the idle gap still looks too large. Maybe back it off a little and you should be good to go. Thanks for sharing pics 😁

(only way I could send a vid)

This doesn't look right, not sure why it isn't going back to the idle gap that it goes to when everything is switched off. When it's on it'll fully open and close about half way.
Looks like there's a couple of things wrong.

1st I think the carb isn't closing all the way because the throttle linkage isn't set right. There's a collar on the pull rod held in place by a set screw. Loosen the set screw and push the rod to see if the carb slide closes. If it does tighten down the set screw leaving a gap about the size of a business card in between the collar and the servo horn.

2nd I think your servo endpoints are off. It looks like it's trying to pull the carb open way too much. Double check when it's at full throttle the slide is opened all the way but not stressing the slide.

Looks like there's a couple of things wrong.

1st I think the carb isn't closing all the way because the throttle linkage isn't set right. There's a collar on the pull rod held in place by a set screw. Loosen the set screw and push the rod to see if the carb slide closes. If it does tighten down the set screw leaving a gap about the size of a business card in between the collar and the servo horn.

2nd I think your servo endpoints are off. It looks like it's trying to pull the carb open way too much. Double check when it's at full throttle the slide is opened all the way but not stressing the slide.
we've fixed all of that