Thought it was tuned... Wrong! HELP!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dashrom

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I had it all tuned. Ran great. Now all of a sudden it won't stay running. I put it on the rack, all wheels off the ground. When I start it, the wheels are all engaged. When I apply the brakes it dies, click. I set all the needles back to factory settings. Same issue. Only thing I have done is put aluminum shoes in the main clutch. I drove it yesterday for about an hour, no problem. Then it was like a switch was flipped. Can't figure out what I've done or what I need to do. Pretty frustrated. :angry: - T Maxx 3.3 (4907)

Last edited:
First off, you'll need to set your idle with the trim knob on the radio set all the way down and the trigger in the full brake position. If you don't do it that way, hitting the brake only lowers the idle till it stalls.
Once you have the LSN and the idle set properly, you don't need to mess with them, but the HSN needs to be tweaked almost every time you run, to compensate for ambient temperature and humidity.

and make sure your clutch is still together. my spring on my clutch broke the other day and i couldnt even get it started.

I just went through that with my clutch!
good tip on setting the idle Rolex, I actually didnt know that! Now I gotta go try to set mine better..
good luck dashrom...

I guess if the spring breaks, it will just stay engaged? I didn't really think that through. Kind of thought it would probably be intermittent. Also didn't take the setting the idle with brake fully engaged into thought. I usually just set it in the neutral setting.. Thanks. Gonna give it another whirl this evening. Need a break, to calm down.

That would be my guess, i broke a clutch spring the other day and same thing you describe, the clutch stays engaged, and it will drive if you run with it and don't stop haha, but once you stop it will die if the clutch is bad cause it is engaged it is the weight of the vehicle holding the engine back, and stops it from running, i would think the spring is bad, from the sounds of it! Your clutch is deff bad if when it idles the tires turn, they should not turn until you wack the gas and make the clutch open and engage. :)

Opened up the bell housing to find a broken spring. I had already bought an Integy 3 shoe conversion clutch awhile back. Went ahead and put it in. Depending on how well it does I might stick with that instead of the 2 shoe clutch. I will say as far as the install of the 3 shoe. Wasn't as big of a pain as I thought. I did break down and buy a little puller. That was the biggest pain. But I cut a shallow groove in the nut for the new springs. The hardest part on installing the springs, was finding them after they slipped out of the needlenose pliers and bounced around the garage. Overall, not too bad.

I've seen and heard a lot of good things about Integy's clutch. You'll notice the rig being snappier off of the line. You should be quite happy with it.

GOOD CALL! Thanks.. Would've never thought that to be the problem.

I only know cause i went through it not too long ago, i got quite irritated myself when it kept dying every time it stopped haha. :)

Back