Course construction help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msphill88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

First off, first time poster so hello everyone! When I got into the hobby just a year ago I was in Omaha NE and had access to a large store with an in-door track and it was fantastic and I had many experts at hand to help. I have since moved to Northern NY and lack close hobby shops, courses, and any real experts. Due to that, I think I will be posting regularly here as I honestly don't know all that much.

I currently own an ARMMA Big Rock, Typhon 3s, and a Traxxas Slash Ultimate. I'm trying to build myself a track so I can enjoy them, but also get other friends into the hobby. I tried using a a Kubota compact tractor and a box scraper (which I am also very new to using) but after hours of work I didn't really cut into the top soil much. I also tried just taking a mower and putting it on the lowest setting which helped, but still not quite where I need to be. I had read that people also suggest using weed/grass killer on the track area to help get you down to the dirt faster too, however since we rely on ground water and our well, I'm reluctant to start spraying chemicals if it can be avoided. So, with all that said, I'm here looking for some advice and to be told how I've done everything wrong! Whether its track building advice or how to properly use a tractor I am all ears.

Thanks!

Kubota compact tractor and a box scraper (which I am also very new to using) but after hours of work I didn't really cut into the top soil much.
Can’t help much on the rc side, new myself, but I can maybe help with this… I suspect the box blade isn’t set up correctly. Might need to shorten the top link and make it dig in a little better, may need to add some weight on it too as the three point doesn’t have any downward pressure on it.

Can’t help much on the rc side, new myself, but I can maybe help with this… I suspect the box blade isn’t set up correctly. Might need to shorten the top link and make it dig in a little better, may need to add some weight on it too as the three point doesn’t have any downward pressure on it.
Ya know what I had lengthened the top link thinking that would help, figures I ended up doing the exact opposite of what I should have! How would you recommend I add some weight to it?

What model tractor and blade? Can really use about anything to add weight to it, cinder blocks, scrap iron, etc.

Nice tractor! The blade is on the lighter side though, and on the small side for that tractor, but it will work (I have a similar tractor and blade, also looking to do the same as you are with a backyard track 😁) I would start with shortening the top link and set the scarifers to maybe the middle position to start (may need to let them all the way down but I would start in the middle) and see how that works

Welcome to the site @msphill88

I can say spraying wise.... do it on a dry day with no rain in forecast or dew as that dilutes it. Also spray in the middle of a warm sunny day as that helps dehydrate it. I Used round up at work and hate that stuff. Even had the pump fail and spray me with it. I usually try to just pray right at the root to keep it at a low.

What I use at home is salt water or vinegar, sometimes vinegar and salt. Your pump will fail over time as the seals and copper tubing will need replaced. If you rinse with soapy water and coat the o rings will make it last.

As mentioned above propane is a good choice and probably better for your conditions. Here in Florida most ponds are sinkholes going to the aquifer that love chemicals. 🤣

Most tracks I know of have to get a clay based dirt delivered that has been sifted. Very rarely can you use existing soil which is often filled with unusable rock. After the dirt is delivered, you want to soak it with water and till it so it turns into paste like mud that can be shaped into jumps with your skid steer. After the jumps have been formed, then you need to pack the dirt with either a vibrating roller or vibrating compactor. Then you spray the track with some form of dirt glue which can be 5/1 ratio of liquid laundry detergent with water or a higher quality product like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ground-Glue-Gravel-Control-Gallon/dp/B09253KDDM

Average cost to build a new track is around $10K - $25K depending on size of track and quality/quantity of clay ordered and equipment used. Probably cheaper to rent the equipment until you decide if you want to do this long term or not.

Most tracks I know of have to get a clay based dirt delivered that has been sifted. Very rarely can you use existing soil which is often filled with unusable rock. After the dirt is delivered, you want to soak it with water and till it so it turns into paste like mud that can be shaped into jumps with your skid steer. After the jumps have been formed, then you need to pack the dirt with either a vibrating roller or vibrating compactor. Then you spray the track with some form of dirt glue which can be 5/1 ratio of liquid laundry detergent with water or a higher quality product like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ground-Glue-Gravel-Control-Gallon/dp/B09253KDDM

Average cost to build a new track is around $10K - $25K depending on size of track and quality/quantity of clay ordered and equipment used. Probably cheaper to rent the equipment until you decide if you want to do this long term or not.
Ooph that is definitely way harder than I want to go. I was hoping to just try and maintain flat dirt to start with, and find a way to build ramps later on as this would be bashers running on the track for fun and not competing. Is what I'm looking to do not really viable?

Ooph that is definitely way harder than I want to go. I was hoping to just try and maintain flat dirt to start with, and find a way to build ramps later on as this would be bashers running on the track for fun and not competing. Is what I'm looking to do not really viable?

I’m doing something pretty similar to what you are too. Right or wrong 🤣 for me it’s just for my kids and I to bash on, not a pro quality track. I’m just waiting for the ground to dry up here to get started on it.

Post up some pics when you do!

Edit to add: not sure about your area, but you may be able to get some pallets for free to use to make some ramps, that’s what I do for now

It's all up to you and what you want to put into it... if there's a club with a track within an hour drive, then it will be worth the drive to visit their track by a long shot.

If you have the funds and are willing to put in the work yourself, then gitterdone!

I’m doing something pretty similar to what you are too. Right or wrong 🤣 for me it’s just for my kids and I to bash on, not a pro quality track. I’m just waiting for the ground to dry up here to get started on it.

Post up some pics when you do!

Edit to add: not sure about your area, but you may be able to get some pallets for free to use to make some ramps, that’s what I do for now
We do and I was hoping to use pallets for ramps! hah.

It seems the part I wont be able to get around is needing stands to elevate and see the track. While i positioned the "control" spot on a slight hill, it still doesn't give enough of a clear view for proper depth perception

It seems the part I wont be able to get around is needing stands to elevate and see the track. While i positioned the "control" spot on a slight hill, it still doesn't give enough of a clear view for proper depth perception

Just make sure the driver stand is at the bottom of the hill so the farthest lane away is elevated to make it easier to see.

If you have a pickup truck, then consider using the bed of the truck for your driver stand, I've done this many times when making a temporary track using garden hose on a school yard ;)

Just make sure the driver stand is at the bottom of the hill so the farthest lane away is elevated to make it easier to see.

If you have a pickup truck, then consider using the bed of the truck for your driver stand, I've done this many times when making a temporary track using garden hose on a school yard ;)
I do have a PU truck, what a great idea!

A properly built rc course makes a great bmx course too. For personal use. Be a good excuse to get your kids and yourself in great shape. Plus, it’s fun!

Might be a little saving to do. But, horse mats are pretty cheap at rural king. Gravel and dirt can be bought as well. Don’t put wood in the jumps as a base. It rots on outside tracks. Top it with the horse mat. Then bed it in when compacting the track.

Rental rates vary but, you could buy what you needed, rent equipment needed over the weekend, and build your track. It’s a lot of money but, I promise if you quit soda, no eating out, no snacks at the gas station, pack everything you’ll eat or drink when not at home, it’ll be money saved very quickly. No luxuries. Including habits.

If you are building perpendicular to elevation, you are going to need something with a cutting edge.

Hey bro welcome to rctalk
I'm also working on outdoor fun wish I had your tools lol
The clay suggestion is what Profesional tea KS that are going to make money and get a significant retur6on the investment for that clay
If you rake it well why wouldn't it work for you to just rake the rocks out of your track?
Is what I'm doing with mine cause I'm on a budget of I owe my wife 300 or so so far lol
So basically all sweat
I'm taking grass down to dirt, then spraying vinegarwater into that path to kill out the grass
Rake the holy heck out of it and due to my land problems have to rake it each time lol
Mines just going to be a small track tho nothing fancy just for my son and I to run a few bashers or short course trucks
Either way your on the path and this is the way