What oil weight or combination of oil weight for center differential in brushless converted Revo 3.3?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneileous

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Hey guys, I have a converted Revo 3.3 that runs on 4S Lipo and due to the fact that everything is much smaller on this truck for what it was designed to run, the only thing really that I’m having issues with is figuring out what weight fluid to run in my center differential to get the truck to handle the way I want it to. All I’m looking for is, I guess you could say, is almost to the point of no differential action at all but still enough to where they’re still is differential action between the front and rear wheels, if that makes any sense.

I really like how I have the center differential tuned on my Traxxas Maxx to where it still picks the front wheels up but at least when you’re not trying to pick the front wheels up under heavy acceleration, it doesn’t seem to try to spin the front wheel so fast that when the front of the truck comes down, you hear the front tires scratching pretty bad as they touch the ground. This is how I would like to get the center differential tuned in my Revo but it’s being rather difficult.

Being that this truck has a lot more power than what it did when it was nitro, I didn’t even bother with the 100K fluid that the center differential came with and before I installed it in the car, I replaced the 100K oil with 200K which is what I run in my Traxxas Maxx but that differential is a lot larger than the one in my Revo so anyway, the 200K wasn’t enough and since I found out that the platinum Revo 3.3 that traxxas made a long time ago came with a center diff differential installed from the factory that was filled with 500K diff fluid, I figured I’d try that but even still, the center diff was just still too loose.

I bought some 1 million weight fluid and put it in there after cleaning all the old stuff out and now it kind of feels like we’re getting somewhere but even still, the 1 million weight still doesn’t feel like it’s quite heavy enough so, tomorrow I should have my 20 million weight oil in that I ordere so, do I want to go straight to the 20 million weight oil or would it be good to dilute that stuff a little bit? Thanks.

Hey guys, I have a converted Revo 3.3 that runs on 4S Lipo and due to the fact that everything is much smaller on this truck for what it was designed to run, the only thing really that I’m having issues with is figuring out what weight fluid to run in my center differential to get the truck to handle the way I want it to. All I’m looking for is, I guess you could say, is almost to the point of no differential action at all but still enough to where they’re still is differential action between the front and rear wheels, if that makes any sense.

I really like how I have the center differential tuned on my Traxxas Maxx to where it still picks the front wheels up but at least when you’re not trying to pick the front wheels up under heavy acceleration, it doesn’t seem to try to spin the front wheel so fast that when the front of the truck comes down, you hear the front tires scratching pretty bad as they touch the ground. This is how I would like to get the center differential tuned in my Revo but it’s being rather difficult.

Being that this truck has a lot more power than what it did when it was nitro, I didn’t even bother with the 100K fluid that the center differential came with and before I installed it in the car, I replaced the 100K oil with 200K which is what I run in my Traxxas Maxx but that differential is a lot larger than the one in my Revo so anyway, the 200K wasn’t enough and since I found out that the platinum Revo 3.3 that traxxas made a long time ago came with a center diff differential installed from the factory that was filled with 500K diff fluid, I figured I’d try that but even still, the center diff was just still too loose.

I bought some 1 million weight fluid and put it in there after cleaning all the old stuff out and now it kind of feels like we’re getting somewhere but even still, the 1 million weight still doesn’t feel like it’s quite heavy enough so, tomorrow I should have my 20 million weight oil in that I ordere so, do I want to go straight to the 20 million weight oil or would it be good to dilute that stuff a little bit? Thanks.
put half 1 million and half 20 million and try that :)
I just looked online and the stock diff oil that comes in the e-revo and maxx is 20 million.
*Center diff oil*

I just looked online and the stock diff oil that comes in the e-revo and maxx is 20 million.
*Center diff oil*
Which E-Revo are you talking about, the 2.0 or the original E-Revo that supposedly had relatively the same size small parts as the Revo 3.3? I guess if you’re saying it has 20M weight oil in the center diff then I suppose you could be referring to the 2.0 because the Maxx center diff is almost twice the size as the one for my Revo and it comes stock with 20M.

But yeah, I might end up trying half 1 million and half 20 million. I’m still kind of torn between trying it the first time with straight up 20 million weight and seeing how it does being that it’s a lot smaller differential. 20 million weight in my Maxx pretty much locked that differential together to where I don’t think it ever moved but then again, like I was saying, my Revo center differential is a whole lot smaller and doesn’t hold near as much fluid so who knows, it may work way better. But after all the trial and error I’ve done, I’ve got a pretty good assortment of differential fluids to play with…lol.
*Center diff oil*
One other question I just thought of; the 20 million weight fluid that I bought is from Traxxas which is the yellowish, beige, colored fluid, and the one million weight fluid I have is completely clear and it’s made by team associated so I guess what I’m trying to ask is would I have a better chance Mixing these oils together if I have the Traxxas brand 1 million weight?

Last edited:
Which E-Revo are you talking about, the 2.0 or the original E-Revo that supposedly had relatively the same size small parts as the Revo 3.3? I guess if you’re saying it has 20M weight oil in the center diff then I suppose you could be referring to the 2.0 because the Maxx center diff is almost twice the size as the one for my Revo and it comes stock with 20M.

But yeah, I might end up trying half 1 million and half 20 million. I’m still kind of torn between trying it the first time with straight up 20 million weight and seeing how it does being that it’s a lot smaller differential. 20 million weight in my Maxx pretty much locked that differential together to where I don’t think it ever moved but then again, like I was saying, my Revo center differential is a whole lot smaller and doesn’t hold near as much fluid so who knows, it may work way better. But after all the trial and error I’ve done, I’ve got a pretty good assortment of differential fluids to play with…lol.

One other question I just thought of; the 20 million weight fluid that I bought is from Traxxas which is the yellowish, beige, colored fluid, and the one million weight fluid I have is completely clear and it’s made by team associated so I guess what I’m trying to ask is would I have a better chance Mixing these oils together if I have the Traxxas brand 1 million weight?
what color is the traxxas 1 million weight?
i just looked it up and they will mix together. do it 50/50 though.

what color is the traxxas 1 million weight?
i just looked it up and they will mix together. do it 50/50 though.
I’m not sure. I’ve never seen the stuff.

I have a question, is a Revo 3.3 center diff a 2 spider gear diff or a standard 4 gear? I know Traxxas makes them that's why I ask.

I have a question, is a Revo 3.3 center diff a 2 spider gear diff or a standard 4 gear? I know Traxxas makes them that's why I ask.
The one for the Revo 3.3 just has a single shaft and two spider gears, one on each end.

IMG_0215.jpeg

On a 2 spider gear diff you double the oil weight to get the same effect as you would for a 4 gear diff. This isn't exact but it's close. 500k 4 gear diff = 1000k 2 gear diff. A 1000k in your center diff should get you close to where you want to be.

hes asking about the center diff that you bought
Yeah I know, that’s what I was referring in my response to him with the exploded view I provided. That picture of the transmission is the one with the center diff and shows the individual parts.
On a 2 spider gear diff you double the oil weight to get the same effect as you would for a 4 gear diff. This isn't exact but it's close. 500k 4 gear diff = 1000k 2 gear diff. A 1000k in your center diff should get you close to where you want to be.
Hmm. Well, I would kinda think size of the cup matters too due to how much more fluid you can put in it because in my Maxx for example, it came originally with 20 million weight but since that was just practically locked up in that car, I dropped it down to 200,000 weight and it works perfectly for what I want but like I said, it has a much larger area for fluid and plus, it’s got two shafts on the inside of it with a spider gear on the end of each shaft, whereas the center diff in my Revo is much smaller and it only has the one single shaft with a spider gear on each end and based on that formula you gave, even 500,000 weight just wasn’t enough and the 1 million weight was barely enough. Tomorrow sometime, I’ll run the truck with the straight up 20 million weight to see how it runs.

Last edited:

1 mil is a good starting point for me anyway ..the diffs can be tuned to control power bias..light fluid will allow more differential action and heavy is more like a locked diff..1 mil center, 250k rr, 115k fr

Yeah I know, that’s what I was referring in my response to him with the exploded view I provided. That picture of the transmission is the one with the center diff and shows the individual parts.

Hmm. Well, I would kinda think size of the cup matters too due to how much more fluid you can put in it because in my Maxx for example, it came originally with 20 million weight but since that was just practically locked up in that car, I dropped it down to 200,000 weight and it works perfectly for what I want but like I said, it has a much larger area for fluid and plus, it’s got two shafts on the inside of it with a spider gear on the end of each shaft, whereas the center diff in my Revo is much smaller and it only has the one single shaft with a spider gear on each end and based on that formula you gave, even 500,000 weight just wasn’t enough and the 1 million weight was barely enough. Tomorrow sometime, I’ll run the truck with the straight up 20 million weight to see how it runs.
Did you ever try the 50/50?

Did you ever try the 50/50?

What do you mean wasn’t enough? That’s a decent weight, my savage x ss kit, 28 dynamite big red 3sp trans will cook to 71…thing barrels ass like a downhill truck no brakes

Back