Starting my hpi 4.1 with a drill

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v12revo

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I bought it without the rotostarter & i just got the rotostart rod. I dont want to cough up $35+ to get the rotorstarter so I'm wondering if it can be started with a cordless drill.

Hi

i would NOT advise that you use a cordless drill to start the car, it could be damaging to the engine block and also cordless drills are a lot powerfull than the stock rota starter it may cost that amount but how much is that compared to a new engine. hope this is helpful

p88prw

You could if you have a drill that doesn't have much power in it like a 12v. Make sure you're on the reverse setting though.

what happens if you use a drive going the wrong way. I have. I manged to get the egine going after words but it was really tight yet it ran fine.

what happens if you use a drive going the wrong way. I have. I manged to get the egine going after words but it was really tight yet it ran fine.

Nothing will, The one way bearing will just spin and not crab the crankshaft. It's not that big of a deal if it is span backwards but I imagine it shortens the bearing life.

Sir your a life savor. Thanks for your input.

I have two good roto units that need a home. 5 bucks plus shipping and they are yours.

if you do use a drill, set the clutch low, around 2 or 3, that way if the engine gets flooded, it won't try to turn it over

i would spend the money and get a pull start,,,,,,,,,,:D

Thanks for all the imput guys, I've been away from the computer for a while, & out testing the engine with the drill lol. I did manage to get it on, but on my second time using it i flooded the engine & the drill's clutch was really high/tight & it forced the rotostart backplate to turn & broke a tooth off one of the gears & broke the plastic case where the gears go, i think I'm just going to get a pullstart now :( They sell the case for like $5 & the gears are like $10 on ebay.... I'm going to sit on this one untill friday & check it out at my lhs. Thanks guys!

It's up to you, but I'd get a roto start backplate and get one of Scroggs starters. Ater using a mechanical means of starting an engine, I'll never go back to a pull start. Call me lazy, but I'm all for anything that dosen't require manual labor. That includes pulling a pull starter on a stbborn engine.:D

Back