savage xl vs savage x?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vector

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, after a long absence I'm back with vengeance.....
Actually just questions.
Like the title says, which one of the 2 is better? I dont care engine performance wise, I want a chassis that is rpg proof (bullet isnt enough). I want to know which holds up beter, I'm tired of1/10 scale always breaking when just has a near miss with a rock, and also flipping over for no reason. The xl looks like my kind of poison, but, looks can be deceiving.

Ill be running it on paving, grass, tar, ploughed fields, mud, dog poo, and iI dont want to sit replacing parts every 5 minutes.

Any help will be much appreciated.

XL has much tougher parts out of the box

XL has much tougher parts out of the box

I don't have a XL but have a X and all I can say is I have yet to break anything on it, tough as nails out of the box, between the X and my Revo I have bashed on dirt trails, pavement, rocks, you name it, nothing has yet to break.

Both are great and hold up well but I find that the XL has a little better air control , I have both but I would have to say XL , put in a LRP.32 and a ERCM pipe , flat bottom tank and do the three speed tranny mod and your good to go , just be careful upgrading can become a sickness :hehe:
100_2751-1.jpg

Thanks sick, what do you mean by flat bottom tank?

Rcaddict, is it a tank for jammin x2 truggy? Direct fit?

I've seen this, evertimr I hit exwctly half tank it splutters and dies. Does anybody have a link on how I can fix this please?

Rcaddict, is it a tank for jammin x2 truggy? Direct fit?

The tank is the OFNA ULTRA LX2 150CC FUEL TANK BUGGY 1/8 41037
and it's not a Direct fit , I made a bracket out of a old cracked engine plate I had laying around , The bracket is nothing special very easy to do and once the tank is on and clip is in it holds up well , 15 to 30 foot jumps and never had a problem with this set up

IMG_0092_zpsedadac86.jpg

IMG_0095_zps214ce4dd.jpg

IMG_0095_zps214ce4dd.jpg

IMG_0097_zps32a97158.jpg

I've seen this, evertimr I hit exwctly half tank it splutters and dies. Does anybody have a link on how I can fix this please?

I've tried 3 different way's to fix the mid tank lean and I keep coming back to this set up , seem's to work the best for me , I also put some fuel tank sponge in the tank to help the fuel from sloping .

IMO It could be that you have a crack in the seem of the tank and when fuel get below it she loses tank pressure and die's , try checking your tank for air leaks

Last edited:
you can use any good flat bottom tank , I use this tank Cause I got two them for five bucks on E-bay I got lucky and they work great so I stoke with them :hehe::hehe:

Last edited:
sorry I'll get better at using my spell checker sooner or later :hehe::hehe:

The tank is the OFNA ULTRA LX2 150CC FUEL TANK BUGGY 1/8 41037
and it's not a Direct fit , I made a bracket out of a old cracked engine plate I had laying around , The bracket is nothing special very easy to do and once the tank is on and clip is in it holds up well , 15 to 30 foot jumps and never had a problem with this set up

Could you measure that tank? End to end/side to side/top to bottom?

I run a 125cc OFNA tank on my X and would like a bit more run time without sacrificing tune. I ran an MGT tank once, it wasn't much better than the stock tank. Seemed very prone to leaks.

Since I'm running 4 shocks vs 8, I have a bit more room on the back and may be able to fit that tank on there.

Hellfire 150cc tank. This setup or both actually has withstood 60+mph crashes so a 20-30ft jump is no problem :)

65FE50EE-B6CC-4DD0-871D-35B64A427568-404-00000080016C39D9_zpsac296648.jpg

277-1.jpg

276-1.jpg

272-1.jpg

268-1.jpg

67-2.jpg

66-2.jpg

68-2.jpg

70-2.jpg

71-2.jpg

---------- Post added at 4:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:31 PM ----------

CEN 220cc tank. This setup can also take a major beating

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Sorry for all the pics, but pics are better than words

I had a front pickup tank like that on one of mine once. I wasn't as aggressive with leaning it forward as you were, so it tended to have issues for the last 1/4 of the tank.

You can mount the CEN tank as a midtank and turn it around so the pick up is in the rear. To do this you swap the bell crank posts around and put the steering servo on the opposite side and there ya go.

Could you measure that tank? End to end/side to side/top to bottom?

I run a 125cc OFNA tank on my X and would like a bit more run time without sacrificing tune. I ran an MGT tank once, it wasn't much better than the stock tank. Seemed very prone to leaks.

Since I'm running 4 shocks vs 8, I have a bit more room on the back and may be able to fit that tank on there.

If these don't work for ya let me no be more then glad to snap a few with a MM tape
IMG_0167.gif

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0159.gif

IMG_0161.jpg

All these mods are pretty neat! You guys are putting ideas in my head. :)

I had a savage 21 and ordered everything to convert to XL. Built it up and only used the radio box and trans. Just put an lrp z28r in her and breaking it in now. So far every part of extended tvp's works great for me. That lrp is great for the xl, already wants to wheelie like a madman.

Back