Radio problems any suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JESSE G

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was out running my Rc10 and every once in a while it was start to take off on its own or hit the brakes basicaly glitching. So I killed the engine and took off the body. The throttle servo kept moving very slowly back and forth on its own. I recharged all the batteries and still the same thing, I came to conclusion that I believe its my controller. The glitching stops when I shut off the controller. I also tried a Traxxas T-maxx controller I have and it no longer was glitching but unfortunaly I can get it to work with the rc10 it will only apply the throttle and wont apply brakes dunno why I messed with the trim and everything :shrug:. I'm curious if there is a way to fix my controller? I believe it to have a short in the throttle but not sure. Or is there something else I'm no thinking of that could cause this problem? Thank in advance.

Jesse

jesse, are you driving around any power lines? That was a problem for me once. Took me forever to remember those power lines....they arent your friends..lol

Last edited:
No not really the is much of anything out here that I would think would mess with it. I have and electric rustler and my brother has a very old Nikko truck we have been running and havent had any problems with them. Its just so frustrating. I just last week finally got my truck up and running good since I bought it in June and now this happens. I have fully charged batteries and fuel!!! Grrrrrr lol

hmmm..When you turn the TX on r/c on... does it swing trying to find zero? Did your steering linkage get bumped and out of adjustment?

When I turn it on it goes right to the center and stays there but as soon as I turn on the Radio it moves back and forth slowly and just every once in a while I dunno :shrug: it weird.

Might be the crystal starting to go. Otherwise, it sounds like you may have picked up a metal to metal interference somewhere on the chassis.

Revo Rancher said:
Might be the crystal starting to go. Otherwise, it sounds like you may have picked up a metal to metal interference somewhere on the chassis.
I'll 2nd that
get some of the large diameter fuel line and run your header spring through it before mounting....takes alot of noise away from the signal..

I guess I can't picture exactly what you mean Plaid happen to have a pic?

try swaping out the servo .sounds odd but i had a very similair problem and the servo was going bad ,what plaid meant was taking header spring and running it thr ua pc of fuel tubing and and reinstalling it ,make like an insulator to keep the spring from vibrating

I don't think Jesse's GT has a rear exhaust engine. If it's a metal to metal issue with the GT, then it's probably the brake linkage. Jesse get a small coffee stir straw from a local gas station and slide that over the brake linkage where it threads through the eye on the brake lever. That may be all you need to do to cure the problem.

I dont have the rear exaugst on mine, I will try that out DirtRacinFool. racin_38 I tried that lol and it does the same thing and only once in a while it really king of weird how it does it.

I don’t know if this will help or not, but I do get that same exact reaction out of my savage when my receiver pack gets low... I do not know why but it starts to glitch the way you described. You might want to double check the batt pack you have.

Check your crystals. If you run a failsafe, try disconnecting the fsu and see if it still does it with just the servo connected directly.

Also, plug the steering servo in to the throttle servo slot and see if it still does it. That way you'll at least be able to determine if it's a bad servo or not.

I forgot the STs have the side port headers.....that OFNA failsafe was doing similar things for me too...I traded it in 3 times and they all did the same, I was told the Digital servos were the problem.....did you get some digitals???
racin? do run the straw through the lil posts that hold the linkage as well or stop at the post???
good tip to remember

i use shrink tubing on my linkages where they slide makes them work free'er and no metal to metal contact
but i like the straw idea alot cheaper then heat shrink lol

racin_38 I'm sorry I must be dislexstupid or something....I always read Dirtracinfool and I register it as you for some reason....but the shrink wrap is a nice idea, thanks for that tip too....

I do have a failsafe and I tried it with out it same thing, I also have tried another servo and still the same. I have some shrink wrap and will try that, I still will have metal contact though where the adjustment nut presses up against the brakes wouldnt that still possibly cause interferance? I removed the spring already for the tension on the break and replace it with a piece of fuel line It seem to work much better than the spring set up. I will double check my batteries too but I'm pretty sure they are good. Like I said before I used my Traxxas Radio and it wouldnt glitch at all but I can get it set up to apply the breaks. I'm lost lol

did you replace the spring w/ the fuel tubing after you saw this happening???
if so did that tame it some????
if yes you might have a nic in the wire for the antena......
did you check the crystals yet????
that's probably your issue there

SO far Plaid nothing I have done changes anything. I will try the crystals out of my rustler and I still havnet tried the shrink tape yet either. The weather has been like a tornado around here lately so I havent been to anxtious on working on it lol. I'm sure you know that feeling probally time 10 with the weather that you have been through recently

Maybe a long shot, but could the receiver itself be bad? I mean, if you have checked everything else, maybe some moisture got into the receiver case?

Just a thought.