Power Supply Brainstorm.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyman

'Cuse is in the house!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, here's the deal. I'm about to upgrade a bunch of my hobby stuff. One thing I'm going to be getting is a Duratrax Ice charger because I'm also going to be adding in Li-Po packs as I work further into my airplane/helicopter addiction. But to run the Ice, I need a power supply. As far as I understand, it will need to be AT LEAST 15A. A lot of the supplies I'm seeing are in the $100 range for that. Well, I'm convinced that it can be done cheaper. So, anyone here convert a computer PS to use? Or any other good ideas? Gimme a rundown of what you all are using. I need inspiration!

I have talked to a few pepople that have really nicely done computer supplies converted and they will not run an ICE for some reason?

I have a Pyramid 20Amp, it works flawlessly, I LOVE THIS THING, quiet, powerful, and compact. Here is the link my fiancee bought mine from(X-Mas)----> http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm I have run three chargers @ 6 Amps each with out even a whimper. Bets $54.50 she spent for a present for me..

Candyman; I have done the PC power supply conversion. I can tell you, from experience, they're good only for about 7.5 amps, give or take. It wasn't hard, but it won't be enough for what you need.

I use it to run my lathe (since it has 5v out taps). Handy little unit.

have you looked into a non "hobby" power supply?? i got this one from truthseeker from his shop. its 12v and 8 amps, and runs my chargers fine. you can get them with more amps to and they dont carry the "hobby" markup. this one new runs about 20 bux.

heres a link to the thread.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39473

I have seen the Pyramid supplies. MAXXALOT linked to one in his post and it looks like a winner. 20A for only like $55. That should work perfectly for what I need. I just want to make sure that I have enough grunt to run an Ice and a Li-Po balancer. I plan on jumping on the Li-Po wagon with my Combat Wing and I just want to make sure it's no problem charging a 3s pack.

you gonna mawd it like i did?? lol i kinda like it, and its WAY better looking then it was when i got it

I dunno. It looks pretty slick right out of the box!
psv200.jpg

I found a deal on tripp-lite 20amp PS from a local electronics supply house....check w/ them (local to you) and Marine/Boating stores (they use em for VHF radios on land)........the supply houses buy them and nobody really uses high current 12VDC much anymore, if you're lucky you can bargain w/ the guy......I'm debating getting a 50 amp...just so I can leave one gigantic one on my bench and have the 20 amp for the track , we have outlets and I run my glow-be/Ice/Starter box off it....
BTW have you looked at th4e Triton vs the Ice.....I bought the Ice and wish I had bought the triton....the Ice has a motor breakin feature but only charges 10 cell packs....no starter battery charging either.....the triton has a higher charge capacity and is smaller.....both are made basically the same electronics.......similar controls too

Candyman said:
I dunno. It looks pretty slick right out of the box!
psv200.jpg
Man Candyman I love mine, I shoegoo'ed my Pulsars right to the top and made one unit out of it...It has been working flawlessly for me, and I had a converted PC supply that burnt up and the power cord was the same so now I just leave on cord right in my hobby shop and one in my pitbox so it is alot easier to load and unload.

I use a PC power supply that I converted for my ICE charger and it works perfect. I get about 10 amps on the 12 volt side which is enough for me.

Just keep in mind if you use the motor breakin feature 10 amps is not enough...I think they recommend a 30 amp Power supply......

I use a cheapie 5A power supply with the ICE,the max charge I will do is at 3.3A so its fine.

You can convert a PC power supply,use the 12V rail and be good.I have a converted PSU that is good for up to 16A @ 12V.

Back